Ron Jaworski's 2014 top QB countdown - Russell Wilson #9

jblaze

Reaction score
Last year he was #12. This year #9. Personally I think this is a bit low, I think he should be in the 5-6 range especially after a great season and winning the SB but who knows.

Flacco is #10 lol. Kaep is #12.

All that said, this is Jaws we're talking about and he did think Kaep could be the best QB ever so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I would have Wilson #5.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Russell Wilson

drdiags

Reaction score
Surprised he put him in the top 10. Guess that shows Jaws is trying to give him some credit for the past season. Must hurt him to have to put Kaep at #12.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
I can't help but deduce from his rankings over the past few years it's simply about yards and TD's. It has nothing to do with system you're in or situational football whatsoever. I think Wilson could throw for 4000 yards if necessary but that's not our philosophy and that should be accounted for but I guess Jaws does not see it that way.

What about YPA? Or explosive pass plays (20+ yds)? Scrambling to run vs. scrambling to throw?

This feels more like a fantasy football ranking than a true test of best QB's with all considerations taken into account.

It is Jaws however...

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
hawknation2014":zfkvn97c said:
I would have Wilson #5.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Russell Wilson

I like your list, Jaws actually has Luck #6. The consensus is still that Luck is the better QB but I just don't see it. Sure, he's very talented and asked to do more but the numbers don't bear our the fact that he's better at all. Isn't this a numbers and "what have you done for me lately" league?

Just think, in a few years when all those guys will have declined or retired, the new crop of QB's will be the only ones standing an RW should get some due then. Especially with another SB under his belt. :)

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":g0fvyrbi said:
Probably about time to stop caring what Jaworski thinks. If it wasn't already.

I don't think anyone cares about his opinion. However, this is the slow period of the offseason and any excuse to talk Hawks I will take.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
jblaze":26mnfr4k said:
Sarlacc83":26mnfr4k said:
Probably about time to stop caring what Jaworski thinks. If it wasn't already.

I don't think anyone cares about his opinion. However, this is the slow period of the offseason and any excuse to talk Hawks I will take.

That seems like a contradiction to me. Talking about this, even as 'something to do' lends credence to his opinion. There are other, better, sources, ya feel me?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't do Jaws anymore. I don't care what anyone else ranks him anymore, the guy keeps drives alive and can wing it when he needs to. Heh.. in his first year he took a 7-9 team to 11-5 and won a road playoff game, should have been 2. In his second year he won the Super Bowl, passing his way to victory when the run wasn't there.

I like me some RW. I get the feeling that his "ranking" will only improve.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jblaze":9cg1i9nr said:
Last year he was #12. This year #9. Personally I think this is a bit low, I think he should be in the 5-6 range especially after a great season and winning the SB but who knows.

Flacco is #10 lol. Kaep is #12.

All that said, this is Jaws we're talking about and he did think Kaep could be the best QB ever so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

Jaws has always been about the prototypical QB, that meaning 6 foot and taller. So what would you expect.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's eating Jaws alive at night thinking he has to come to his senses and place Wilson ever so higher in his precious QB ranking. For shame should a 4 foot 2" QB have the ability to change the NFL's perception of what makes a great quarterback!

Clutch the pearls Jaws! Clutch the pearls!!

lobohawk

Reaction score
Would have Rivers at 6 (especially after his return to form last year). Wilson at 7 and Luck around 9.

Hard for the younger QBs to crack the top five or six, due in part to their small sample size. Quality play over time is important and they haven't been around long enough. Teams win Super Bowls, so I count those less when evaluating QBs.

endzorn

Reaction score
Number 9?!?!?! Does he even watch football?! Russell Wilson is the the best pocket AND scrambling Qb in the NFL and no dummy from ESPN can change that! Here's my ranking of the best QBs.

1. Russell Wilson (pocket passer)
2. Russell Wilson (scrambling passer)
3. Matt Flynn
4. Johnny Manziel
5. Jesus
6. Eli Manning
7. Pete Carroll (he still has a cannon)
8. Jay Cutler

You can take this list to the bank.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Best part?
Luck was number 5, and before a snap of the 2014 season was played, Jaws said he will probably be top 3 next year.

seabowl

Reaction score
hawknation2014":397oe67j said:
I would have Wilson #5.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Russell Wilson

Put the first four QB's on this list behind the OL Russell played behind from about games 3-9 last year and they would have gotten killed. Only a supreme escape artist like Wilson could survive the constant pressure he was under for that stretch of games and still put up W after W.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
endzorn":3u6zeyxt said:
Number 9?!?!?! Does he even watch football?! Russell Wilson is the the best pocket AND scrambling Qb in the NFL and no dummy from ESPN can change that! Here's my ranking of the best QBs.

1. Russell Wilson (pocket passer)
2. Russell Wilson (scrambling passer)
3. Matt Flynn
4. Johnny Manziel
5. Jesus
6. Eli Manning
7. Pete Carroll (he still has a cannon)
8. Jay Cutler

You can take this list to the bank.

This plus your avatar = real life LOL. And I rarely laugh at things written on the internet.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2cm7jhvn said:
Best part?
Luck was number 5, and before a snap of the 2014 season was played, Jaws said he will probably be top 3 next year.

Thats on par with Steve Young discussing young QBs two years ago When talking about Luck, Grif, Kap and Wilson he said to take Luck out of it because it wasnt fair, "He's going to be a Hall of Famer."

kearly

Reaction score
I am kinda okay with Wilson at #9. He was 8th in passer rating last year in an offense that is kinda designed to boost QB efficiency stats. I would rank him a few spots higher on account of the NFC West, his playoff performances, and his 31st ranked protection last year. There are a lot of probable future HoF QBs playing right now and Wilson is younger than all but one of them, so I can understand putting Wilson 9th.

I think Nick Foles is probably the NFL's most under-rated player. 15th on this list after posting the 4th highest rating in league history during his first full season. I know that his interception numbers are unsustainable, but give him 10 picks instead of 2 and he still has elite numbers. But more than that, I've been sold watching him play. He is not the same guy he was at Arizona. The current version of Nick Foles reminds me a lot of Brett Favre. Does just enough with his feet and arm to consistently be a pain in the ass. And he's dangerous in the red zone... one of the better "thread the needle" QBs in the league.