Training Camp logistics

chrispy

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted previously. Searching for "Training Camp" doesn't give very succinct results.

I'm driving in from out of town to attend TC for the first time. I'm hoping I can benefit from some of your previous experience

If the practice officially starts at 10am, and the bus ride is 10 mintues, how early should we arrive at The Landing? Will there be a lot of traffic? How long should I budget from downtown Seattle at that time of day?

The TC website says that there will be buses leaving every 30 minutes until the end of practice. I think I also read that people hang out for autographs and to rub elbows with the players. How long will practice last? (We're going to one that begins at 10am) How long should I budget for hanging out afterward and to get back to The Landing? Any feel for traffic then?

I've read that sitting higher up on the hill will give a better view but you feel more removed. Is it more crowded higher or lower? ...better experience from anyone that's been there?

I plan on bringing collapsable chairs and a small cooler. From what I've see, that's allowed as long as there's no glass or alcohol, correct? Will chairs block the view of people behind us? ... should we use the on-the-ground/bleacher chairs instead? ... or a blanket?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Riley12

Reaction score
I think, for a 10 AM practice, the line for checking in will start to build at around 8 AM or so. It might be even earlier because of the great post season. I think the check-in opens about an hour later (9 AM), you get your wristbands, and the buses start rolling.

When you arrive, look for where the main camera towers are located. That is where the bulk of the scrimmages will take place. Various squads will practice all over the place, but generally on the same field designated for scrimmages.

If you are there on a day when the main practice is on the field right in front of the berm, then you are in luck. There is a lot of seating and I think the middle of the berm gives a great view. Lots of people like to hang on the fence and so it gets a little crowded.

Chairs and a cooler aren't any problem. Make sure they are the low slung beach kind or get there early enough so that you are not setting up all of your stuff in front of someone who might not see past you - common courtesy.

Lots of autograph seekers hang on the fence near the VMAC building itself but I've heard that the past two years have not been kind to folks looking to meet and greet players. Most scoot on in to the facility, visit the VIP area or just sign stuff for kids. It will be a madhouse this year, I suspect. The best time to get Wilson's autograph, for instance, was when he was comPETE-ing for the starting spot. Once he hit the big time, it became kids only, if that.

Other advice - arrive really early and leave when the horn for the last rotation sounds. You'll see almost everything and won't have to stand in line for a return bus. Bring lots of water, sunscreen and a hat, even to morning practices.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The first Saturday last year, we were there 90 minutes early and were probably at a guess, 300 people back in line. After we've won the Super Bowl? Yeah...Worse than that, by who knows how much.

Riley12

Reaction score
Oh yeah - weekends were insane even in the initial Pete Carroll years. I remember getting to a line for a Saturday afternoon practice about an hour before practice and the line was snaking all of the way into that big Target parking lot.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
... and (about) when will it be over? I need to figure out if I'm driving back or staying the night in Seattle. And any thoughts on travel time during traffic at 8am from Seattle to Renton?

Riley12

Reaction score
I think around noon, but you can leave anytime you want.

Once everyone is there, they will always have a bus waiting on standby. When it gets full or sometimes even partially full, they send it on back. A nice option for people who bring little children who are having a bad day.

8AM from Seattle to Renton could be a grind in weekday traffic, but across 90 and then down 405, you might make it in 30 minutes using express and carpool lanes, I would guess. You'd have a huge line to wait in to check in and get on the bus. You'd make it to practice just fine, but you may not have your choice of seating locations.

jding

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm taking my daughter to her first practice on Saturday. We're super excited!

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Just go real early and get coffee and donuts at Top Pot.
Have a maple bar maybe? And remember how Tate was a stoned thief?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Does anyone know what time you can get to the VMAC and park if you signed up for ADA parking? My dad can't stand in the bus lines or on the bus for that matter if they fill up so we usually park there, but last year by the time we got there we were lucky enough to get the last spot. We want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

So far the Seahawks have been 0 help. I emailed their specific ADA question email and got a reply from former Seahawk Paul Johns who runs that department. He was absolutely less than helpful. Instead of answering my question he told me "Seating in ADA area is limited. Only one person can accompany your father there". He then made it sound like my dad should drive himself while the rest of us take the bus from renton. Uh ...why? Why would we not ride in the same car that's going there anyways? Needless to say he didn't give me a time or even aknowledge the question. instead he made it sound as if the implication was that we were abusing the ADA parking system. When I replied back explaining that it made no sense to take separate cars and that we didn't honestly expect all of us to be able to go to the disable area (my dad will go to the general area, he can get around but long periods of standing don't work for him) and simply asked about the time, I got no response. Still haven't.

I paid 50 bucks to go to camp for a 'transportation fee' for transportation I won't even be using, and get jerked around for it. Kinda disappointing. If anyone knows what time they allow you to begin parking at the vmac that would be super helpful.