Unger low snaps

seabowl

Reaction score
I remember during the season last year when Unger kept snapping the shotgun snap play after play. I really hope they work on this during training camp. Does anyone know why (injury?) he snapped low all of last season?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I remember practically every time there was a bad snap that Wison would somehow turn it into a great play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":1ws95gse said:
I remember during the season last year when Unger kept snapping the shotgun snap play after play. I really hope they work on this during training camp. Does anyone know why (injury?) he snapped low all of last season?

Unger was in and out with injuries all season. One would have to think it affected his game. Hopefully we'll see a healthy Unger this year and we'll know for sure.

Also, and this is just a pet peeve of mine, but does anyone honestly believe that the team doesn't "work on" all facets of the game in OTA's, mini camps, training camps and in season practices? I understand the concept that we see something we perceive as a weakness and we want them to improve, but I think we can all rest assured that they are "working on it".

nepahawk

Reaction score
Unger's low and wide snaps were not limited to last year.
He was also having bad snaps in 2012.
If they have been working on this situation for 2+ years and still no good results, is it a lost cause?
Will we have to endure another season of Max's exciting snaps, only time will tell.

Basis4day

Reaction score
nepahawk":3qo0op6c said:
Unger's low and wide snaps were not limited to last year.
He was also having bad snaps in 2012.
If they have been working on this situation for 2+ years and still no good results, is it a lost cause?
Will we have to endure another season of Max's exciting snaps, only time will tell.

Unger was All-Pro in 2012. That seems like pretty good results to me.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Perhaps Max thinks Russell is only 4' 10 5/8" tall.

Obviously, he's selling him short.

I should add that Max's injuries last year were his (snapping?) arm, concussions and his pectoral muscle.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Try snapping a ball with a torn/bruised/sore pec. Not easy or fun. Unger will be just fine. Wow, I can see wanting our team to get better, but we're starting to split hairs around here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Good topic.

Unger did have a number of occasions where he initiated plays that almost turned into a disaster. His off target snaps threw off the timing and Russell, in his haste to try to keep the play on track, nearly fumbled the ball. It's an individual thing, and something that can be worked on and improved through repetition, and hopefully, he's been doing just that during the offseason. It's simply not acceptable, injuries or no injuries, for a Pro Bowl center to make as many bad snaps as Unger did last year. There's no excuse for it as it hurts just as much to make a bad snap as it does to make a good one...and it wasn't a reason given by either Unger or Pete.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
RiverDog":3j42kspv said:
Good topic.

Unger did have a number of occasions where he initiated plays that almost turned into a disaster. His off target snaps threw off the timing and Russell, in his haste to try to keep the play on track, nearly fumbled the ball. It's an individual thing, and something that can be worked on and improved through repetition, and hopefully, he's been doing just that during the offseason. It's simply not acceptable, injuries or no injuries, for a Pro Bowl center to make as many bad snaps as Unger did last year. There's no excuse for it as it hurts just as much to make a bad snap as it does to make a good one...and it wasn't a reason given by either Unger or Pete.

LOW, but also the snaps were SLooooooooooooow..
I'm not a qb, but, I doubt you want to be waiting for a snap and at the corner of your eyes, you see DE's bearing down on you..

kidhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":78iy43cb said:
Good topic.

Unger's not going to go out of his way to make excuses. Most of the guys on the team just aren't the type. They seem to believe (and I concur) that if you are healthy enough to play, then you need to be spot on and mistake free. I'd also be willing to bet that Unger has beat himself up more over each of these snaps than any fan ever could. He's a consummate pro and I rest assured that this portion of this game will improve with an off season to recuperate and get healthy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Agreed on all counts after pass blocking, the snaps were a huge issue followed by Wr separation. We saw in the SB how good the offense can be when the o-line blocks, the snaps are not always bad, and the Wr get some separation, and the play calling is wide open. Here's hoping we see that this whole year.

cacksman

Reaction score
Unger was outplayed by his backup last year, and I remember his low snaps from the previous year as well. I seriously hope he improves, because last year he was an average Center.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kidhawk":icbth8le said:
RiverDog":icbth8le said:
Good topic.

Unger's not going to go out of his way to make excuses. Most of the guys on the team just aren't the type. They seem to believe (and I concur) that if you are healthy enough to play, then you need to be spot on and mistake free. I'd also be willing to bet that Unger has beat himself up more over each of these snaps than any fan ever could. He's a consummate pro and I rest assured that this portion of this game will improve with an off season to recuperate and get healthy.

That's true, and if I were Unger, I wouldn't be making excuses, either. But Pete is one of the more candid...sometimes too candid...coaches in the league, and if Unger were experiencing performance problems due to an injury, he'd be saying something.

Think about it. If Unger's pec muscles were giving him pain, it would be painful on good snaps as well as the bad ones. It's not like a quarterback that has a sore arm where his position demands throwing from different angles, different velocities, and different body positions under widely varying circumstances. All of the snaps from center are going to be completely static, with no interference from defenders, the same distance, same direction, same velocity, and the same amount of effort required EVERY TIME.

I'm sorry, I just don't accept that excuse. This is all on Unger, and up to him and him alone to improve.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he is getting hit on the head while snapping some of those balls but I agree that the low snaps and the bloopers were a problem that I hope is resolved.