Worst Officiating Call of the Season?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Ok, the season is long over and we all know, that every week there were calls made by the officials that garnered many complaints here at .NET. I am just curious which, if any, of these calls still bother you or stand out in your mind, today after the season has ended?

General Manager

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ck0z1ab said:
Ok, the season is long over and we all know, that every week there were calls made by the officials that garnered many complaints here at .NET. I am just curious which, if any, of these calls still bother you or stand out in your mind, today after the season has ended?

Some of the cheap calls at SF and INDY still bother me.

kearly

Reaction score
The worst call to take place in a Seahawks game was the play Bowman got injured on in the NFCCG. The worst part was that SF couldn't even challenge because of some quirk in the NFL rulebook. At the time of course, I was elated to catch this break, but man, it was so shitty. I'm glad that justice as served on the next play, and that we still won in awesome fashion. Had to feel sorry for Bowman though, horrific injury, gets screwed out of a critical turnover in the 4th quarter, and then has popcorn poured on him as he rides off the field on a cart.

The worst call against Seattle would be one of many from the Indy game. There was a phantom PI on Browner where he did not even touch the guy or the ball was overthrown by 15 yards or both, I just remember it being a are you effing kidding me kind of call. That call that wiped out a punt, and the Colts would later score a TD on the same drive, IIIRC. That call was probably the difference in the game. There was also a really awful OPI call on Tate in that game.

I wouldn't consider it a terrible call, but I thought the refs got it wrong when they didn't overturn the interception at the end of the Arizona game. I thought I saw a few specs of turf kick up, plus physics demand that a ball would never bounce at that angle without touching the ground.

253hawk

Reaction score
Either the blown TD call @Indy on the blocked punt that ended up only being a safety or the missed blatant holding on Sherman during Gore's run that set up the winning FG @SF.

Oh, and the DPI on Earl against TB when he didn't even touch the guy; helped set up the Bucs' first TD (it wouldn't have been an INT though as his second foot comes down on the line.) Plus all of the super-late hits on Wilson that game, one of which that effed up his left shoulder for the rest of the year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The PI called on Thomas's would-be INT vs. Tampa Bay (Mike Carey's crew).

The Indy game was overall the worst officiated game of the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't know about bad calls, there were several, Non calls for obvious penalties, holds unsportsmanlike conduct, body slams etc, not talking about ticky tacky ones on the holds jersey take downs where the referee is standing right there, only to see a call made on us for a ticky tack one the next play or sometimes the same play.

Rams game there could have been more players tossed actually but they allowed things to escalate to where there was no choice.

kearly

Reaction score
I mentioned this stat in another thread, but it bears repeating. Last year Seattle finished dead last in penalty yardage differential, -353. Indy finished first, +403. Seattle played at Indy, and home teams tend to get more calls in their favor. Looking at those numbers, it suddenly makes sense why the Colts game was such a one sided shitshow for officiating.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":3vdr0rus said:
I mentioned this stat in another thread, but it bears repeating. Last year Seattle finished dead last in penalty yardage differential, -353. Indy finished first, +403. Seattle played at Indy, and home teams tend to get more calls in their favor. Looking at those numbers, it suddenly makes sense why the Colts game was such a one sided shitshow for officiating.

I watched several Indy games last season, and the number of favorable bail-out calls they got all season long was unbelievable. It's like there was an officiating crusade to get that team in the playoffs. The Seattle game was definitely the worst, though. There was a game that Indy played against Houston that was almost as laughable. They were also handed that game against the Broncos.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":2wc9ezix said:

What that tells me an anyone that as an once of common sense was they made a lot of bad calls against us over the course of the season, and made a lot of calls that helped Indy and there new fair haired boy Luck.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
wasn't there a pretty brutal and wrong offensive PI call on tate in that indy game?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm just trying to decide which Indy penalty screwed us more. Hell, there are some "should have been called but weren't" ones that benefited Indy that are up for debate, too. It was friggin' atrocious.

Since Lynch just coughed up the rock in even better field position for the Niners on the very next play in the NFCCG, the Bowman thing turned out to be irrelevant; and actually it really turned out to be irrelevant regardless of which way it would have gone, because we still won the game. Definitely a bad call, though.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Ron Winter and his crew keeping us from 14-2 and simultaneously making Colts fans even more insufferable than they normally are through a cavalcade of awful calls would be the worst officiating call(s) against us this year.

The Navorro Bowman debacle in the NFCCG would be the worst call that went in our favor.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
The worst call of the year was when Russ threw the ball to Baldwin, went about 15 feet in the air (off the turf) and they ruled it an interception. I've never been so angry over a call, ever.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gotta agree, the PI on Tate was beyond brutal. My wife says "what did he do?"
I just said "he caught the ball, nothing else."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The worst call of the year in the entire NFL was the field goal penalty that sent the Chargers to the playoffs.

The Indy game stands out for about 5 terrible calls. The Niner game in Candlestick featured the Crabtree non fumble, and the no hold on Gore's long run. The first SF game had the phantom whistle that led to a blocked punt, lucky for us the D cleaned up the mess anyway, but if every player heard it, why did the refs suddenly not hear it? The Bowman play was a joke. (as was the entire offensive series before and after it) Bowman is a great player, the injury had nothing to do with the lousy call, but it just feels bad that the two are linked. He needs to have a serious talk with the dipshit Niner player who dove into his knee.

The Ref who would not call OPI on Denver in the SB when the receiver takes out Sherman was my worst of the year, though. Although calling it a Karmic justice move for no PI on Earl when he interferes with a deep pass by Manning is probably OK.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ruffENrowdy":2ca5s6eb said:
The worst call of the year was when Russ threw the ball to Baldwin, went about 15 feet in the air (off the turf) and they ruled it an interception. I've never been so angry over a call, ever.

Yeah it was sucked the NFL even admitted they got the call wrong as usual.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
253hawk":2nhfuatu said:
....Oh, and the DPI on Earl against TB when he didn't even touch the guy; helped set up the Bucs' first TD (it wouldn't have been an INT though as his second foot comes down on the line.) Plus all of the super-late hits on Wilson that game, one of which that effed up his left shoulder for the rest of the year.
Mike Carey says you're wrong.
I don't.

The spot on Russ' scramble in XLVIII was shit too. I'll mention it since no one else has yet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah Scotte, Demaryius Thomas getting away with OPI pushing Sherman to the ground because Sherman got IN FRONT OF HIM on that long pass attempt by PeyPey pissed me off because Sherman almost certainly would have picked that off.

It angers me because Sherman deserved an int on his stat sheet for that game. Stupid refs.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kearly":2qkqexjn said:
The worst call to take place in a Seahawks game was the play Bowman got injured on in the NFCCG. The worst part was that SF couldn't even challenge because of some quirk in the NFL rulebook. At the time of course, I was elated to catch this break, but man, it was so shitty. I'm glad that justice as served on the next play, and that we still won in awesome fashion. Had to feel sorry for Bowman though, horrific injury, gets screwed out of a critical turnover in the 4th quarter, and then has popcorn poured on him as he rides off the field on a cart.

The worst call against Seattle would be one of many from the Indy game. There was a phantom PI on Browner where he did not even touch the guy or the ball was overthrown by 15 yards or both, I just remember it being a are you effing kidding me kind of call. That call that wiped out a punt, and the Colts would later score a TD on the same drive, IIIRC. That call was probably the difference in the game. There was also a really awful OPI call on Tate in that game.

I wouldn't consider it a terrible call, but I thought the refs got it wrong when they didn't overturn the interception at the end of the Arizona game. I thought I saw a few specs of turf kick up, plus physics demand that a ball would never bounce at that angle without touching the ground.

Ya that was probably one of the worse calls I saw during the season...HOWEVER...against the 49ers there are a couple plays I thought were pretty shitty. Kaep kicked the ball on one of his fumbles or we would of recovered it. Another play was when one of the WRs, Boldin I think, fumbled but it was called back because they blew the whistle super early. ALSO against the 49ers where Lane I think...on the punt got drilled by one of the 49ers on the sideline, how is that not a penalty

Dont even get me started on Indy and Luck....watched many of their games this year where Luck gets call after call to bail him out