89 Baldwin, Doug WR 5-10 189 25 4 Stanford
88 Bates, Phil WR 6-1 220 24 3 Ohio
14 Clark, Arceto WR 5-10 180 24 2 Mississippi State
11 Harvin, Percy WR 5-11 184 26 6 Florida
15 Kearse, Jermaine WR 6-1 209 24 3 Washington
83 Lockette, Ricardo WR 6-2 211 28 4 Fort Valley State
13 Matthews, Chris WR 6-5 218 24 1 Kentucky
81 Norwood, Kevin WR 6-2 199 24 R Alabama
16 Price, Taylor WR 6-1 195 26 5 Ohio U.
10 Richardson, Paul WR 6-0 183 22 R Colorado
17 Smith, Kevin WR 5-11 214 R Washington
19 Walters, Bryan WR 6-0 190 26 5 Cornell

Rice already removed from Roster on Seahawks Team Site, but since I pulled it up.

Baldwin
Harvin
Kearse
Richardson
Norwood

appear to have the inside track, if we keep 6, I would be looking at Lockette, Matthews, Smith, not a big stature guy but solid.

Price had skills but after 5 years of not showing up yet I think is a body, Walters, Clark, again are bodies, Bates is a possibility but looking around him depends on which position and he has a formidable bunch in front.

Smith could slip to PS possibly since he was undrafted but I thought should have been.Lockette is the Old man on the field, not sure if thats as important in this case since he has less body wear. Matthews becomes more intriguing with Rice retiring now.

Was going to post this in the Rice thread but out of respect for the player he was put it in it's own thread.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think a significant concern here is whether or not the WRs on the fringe can play special teams. That could be the difference between keeping Lockette or keeping Matthews, for example.

Lockette might have REALLY helped himself out by turning into a ST demon by the end of last year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2xs2qaiv said:
Lockette might have REALLY helped himself out by turning into a ST demon by the end of last year.
Lockette had 2 tackles all year... and he's a special teams DEMON?

Not in my book.

Jeremy Lane is the real demon on ST.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't think it's more complex, I think it becomes much more straight forward.

My hope is we keep- Baldwin, Harvin, Kearse, Richardson, and Norwood. I want the 2 rookies to make the team, I think both have tremendous potential and since we have control for 4 years it makes sense financially.

If we go with 6 then I think Lockette, Matthews probably have the best chance of that. I would rather have Norwood at this stage as we've seen what Lockette is after 3 years in the league., he still is a average WR at best and I think Norwood gives us more penitential.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Complex is the term I used because now I think it opens the door for a RB possibly, Ware Coleman, Small competition means more now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jlwaters1":35k6228f said:
... and I think Norwood gives us more penitential.
Is more penitential... more potential to end up in a penitentiary?

I hope not. :thirishdrinkers:

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I don't see any wings on Jeremy Lane but that boy can fly. All those punts downed inside the 5. Huge.

Lockette had some big plays in the playoffs but I'm still skeptical what he brings to the team. We've already got 2 speed receivers in Harvin and Richardson and those two have a much higher ceiling. Lockette's track speed doesn't really show up to me on his offensive tape (ST you see flashes). I'd love to see us keep Matthews if he can really be that RZ, jump ball threat a la JJ 2005.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":17n45lxi said:
Smelly McUgly":17n45lxi said:

Not in my book.

You know fair catches don't count as tackles but are just as effective, right?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3vgrx3c5 said:
onanygivensunday":3vgrx3c5 said:
Smelly McUgly":3vgrx3c5 said:

Not in my book.

You know fair catches don't count as tackles but are just as effective, right?
Yes, I am aware of that.

Last year, Ryan made a point of not out-kicking his gunners... so the success of the punt team was a shared success.

Can we agree on that?

General Manager

Reaction score
I'm hoping Matthews makes the team over Lockette and the reason is simple we have Harvin and Richardson we don't need him. We don't have a 6'5 all purpose WR on the team and I believe we need one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Matthews "all purpose" quite yet.

He's a big body, but he's slow and doesn't play ST. So really, he's a possession and RZ receiver, and I theorize that Norwood is going to be the new 3rd down/possession guy with his ability to catch away from his body, size, and 4.4 speed.

Really, if Norwood lives up to his billing, Matthews will have one role: red zone.

Subzero717

Reaction score
The kid from Canada got some ink somewhere. Him or the Rocket. ST helped Obo stay on the roster for years.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Lockette is valuable on special teams because of his speed. Look at the difference in speed between Lockette and the Rams' defenders as he blows by them on this play:

ZLyMB

Even with a head start, #38 fails to put any sort of a block on Lockette, leaving his return man a dead duck.

You can't train that kind of speed - a guy either has it or he doesn't. Carroll LOVES speed. I reckon Lockette is fairly safe.

P.S.: How many times did you watch the clip through? It just never gets old.

Also: Kudos to the returner for making the catch and holding on through that.

kearly

Reaction score
Lockette is probably going to be the 6th guy. Forget the number of plays, the raw ability he showed as a gunner was off the charts. Not a lot of teams have 6'3", 4.3 forty guys at gunner.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jdemps":vn7amzny said:
I don't see any wings on Jeremy Lane but that boy can fly. All those punts downed inside the 5. Huge.

Lockette had some big plays in the playoffs but I'm still skeptical what he brings to the team. We've already got 2 speed receivers in Harvin and Richardson and those two have a much higher ceiling. Lockette's track speed doesn't really show up to me on his offensive tape (ST you see flashes). I'd love to see us keep Matthews if he can really be that RZ, jump ball threat a la JJ 2005.

Road runners have wings....but dont use them..Lane is a roadrunner.....bd bd bd bd ...zooooommmmmmmmmmmmm...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think the WR competition just got a lot simpler.

We keep six:

Baldwin
Harvin
Kearse
Lockette
Richardson
Norwood

Anyone else will have to put a strong, strong camp together, and do something to really wow the coaches, both on special teams and as receivers. And if that happens, we'll have a pretty solid corps of receivers.

General Manager

Reaction score
Chris Matthews 6'5 ran a 4.5 most outstanding rookie of the year in the CFL is 24 years old. Why some of you are aren't giving him any chance of making the team is strange. With the retirement of Rice he has a legit shot to make this team if he plays well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Watching that clip it occurs to me how much fun it would be to see Lockette split wide on one side with Richardson split to the other side. What would the safety do if we sent them both on a full on sprint? Then have Russ toss it to Percy. That said I bet Mathews is the next man up.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
General Manager":1sbaz8tq said:
Chris Matthews 6'5 ran a 4.5 most outstanding rookie of the year in the CFL is 24 years old. Why some of you are aren't giving him any chance of making the team is strange. With the retirement of Rice he has a legit shot to make this team if he plays well.

Could be the Stephen Williams situation, big guys are long striders and we are about routes also. I had him on the possibility side but as a Super Bowl Champion that drafted two guys as well it will be tough, we also have Smith which I think was a gloss over player that is shorter but very well put together that I think can make some noise as well as Price that has the measurables but never seemed to put it together and was I think a 3rd round pick a few years back.

Why I think lack of a real stand out camp it could open the door for Bronson, Ware, Small. Small, Bronson, Smith may be shuttled to PS based on where we picked them up, but with Michael's receiving ability we may use him in a pinch as our 6th guy and keep another FB that can run and catch as well.