Russell Wilson catching a pass?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm reading on ESPN that one of the plays had Wilson catching a pass from Phil Bates.

"The play of the day came when quarterback Russell Wilson caught a pass. The trick play started with a fake handoff before Wilson gave the ball to wide receiver Phil Bates on a reverse to the right. Wilson kept running into the left flat when Bates stopped in the backfield, turned and threw a nice pass to Wilson, who made the catch near the sideline past linebacker Mike Morgan."

Has anyone been to training camp last year and saw a trick play then that was later used in the regular season? I could see this happening, and would love to see it happen at least once.

nategreat

Reaction score
I think they did one in the pre-season last year, but I can't remember which game it was.

kearly

Reaction score
As said, Wilson had a TD on a similar play in college. I was expecting to see that play in 2012, but it never quite happened. There was a play that season where Rice had the ball and Wilson was open, but Rice ended up throwing the ball elsewhere. Wilson was mic'd up, which is where his famous "you would have had yo' boy dawg" (paraphrasing) line came from.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
They set up a Lynch throwback to Wilson once last year, but it didn't develop properly and there was no pass attempt.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Ahh yes I do remember both those moments, hopefully someone will connect with Wilson this year, for a TD of course.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I forget the play or game but I was watching some highlights recently featuring Sidney Rice and there was a play Sidney threw the ball. You hear Russell saying something like, "Yo dog, you should have thrown it to me! I was wide open!" Sidney said he didn't have time to check back to his left...Funny.

AgentDib

Reaction score
They did it twice today, once in the opening route running drills and then once during the offense vs. defense scrimmage.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
If they could do that play with Harvin it would be awesome. The backside backer or end would have to always commit to Wilson rolling away, which would help open up huge things on a variety of plays whenever Harvin goes in motion.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I went to a practice before the 2012 Jets game. It was the practice the Saturday beforehand. They ran a flee flicker then ran it in the game. Very cool to see it in real time. Oh, and the play worked.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Aros":11a70mge said:
I forget the play or game but I was watching some highlights recently featuring Sidney Rice and there was a play Sidney threw the ball. You hear Russell saying something like, "Yo dog, you should have thrown it to me! I was wide open!" Sidney said he didn't have time to check back to his left...Funny.

"ole ONE Read......." :sarcasm_off:

And I do mean this JOKINGLY..... :mrgreen:

ManBunts

Reaction score
Nice play, but only if he gets wide open headed into the end zone. We know he's tough, but imagine if a headhunter DB like Whitner or that Saints guy who went after Harvin got a bead on him. They'd hit to hurt

A

Anonymous

Shouldn't we be NOT talking about trick plays?

Trick plays need to be kept under-wraps, right?

No damn surprises anymore with all this new-fangled internet/mobile technology stuff... :les:

kidhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2k2yxgo0 said:
Shouldn't we be NOT talking about trick plays?

Trick plays need to be kept under-wraps, right?

No damn surprises anymore with all this new-fangled internet/mobile technology stuff... :les:

It's not really that big of a deal. Teams run everything in Training camp. By doing this, teams don't have anything in particular to focus on. When team's have closed practices, that is when they put in actual plays they'll be using for the upcoming game. What they do in training camp won't help teams scouting for the regular season matchup as the playbook will be pared down for each individual game and that is where the element of surprise comes in (if you even use the trick plays at all)