Carpenter

seabowl

Reaction score
Anyone else upset like me that Carpenter decides to finally come into camp in shape and now start playing up to his potential when he is in a contract year? I absolutely hate when layers do this. I bet if we re-signed him to a long term deal this past offseason he would not have come into camp so ready.

Smellyman

Reaction score
not being healthy for most of his time here had A LOT to do with it....

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Lockout, injury, injury... that's how the first 3 offseasons played out for Carp in his career. Now, during the lockout, he could have done a better job of getting his conditioning right, but he didn't have a lot of control over the last couple of years.

In the end, though, he's in shape now, and looks like he might be able to be a positive force at LG. What's there to get upset over?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If Carpenter has a good year, they should be able to re-sign him to a reasonable deal. There is no one pushing him for playing time unless Bailey or Britt are moved inside. It's all on him. I want to see Carpenter show consistent explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and the effort to finish off blocks.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Nope. If you want to complain about players who responded well after receiving the proverbial "kick in the pants," you may be here all day. If Carp can see this through and solidify the left side of that line, I'd be good with it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2wf19wj6 said:
Lockout, injury, injury... that's how the first 3 offseasons played out for Carp in his career. Now, during the lockout, he could have done a better job of getting his conditioning right, but he didn't have a lot of control over the last couple of years.

In the end, though, he's in shape now, and looks like he might be able to be a positive force at LG. What's there to get upset over?
Which came first... The chicken or the egg?

Anyway hopefully he has a great season and puts it all behind him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hmmm, player comes to camp in shape and ready to comPETE? I have no problem with this.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":12s085sg said:
volsunghawk":12s085sg said:

The egg did, because dinosaurs laid eggs. Chickens evolved over time, but the egg has been a part of reproduction for millions of years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Seahawks would have won the Super Bowl if Carpenter had been this ready to play last year!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yep, but I'll take it even if it means one good year as a Seahawk.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":29ni2dw4 said:
The Seahawks would have won the Super Bowl if Carpenter had been this ready to play last year!
Stop playin'. One guy doesn't make that kind of a difference!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":1a0b36ge said:
Anyone else upset like me that Carpenter decides to finally come into camp in shape and now start playing up to his potential when he is in a contract year? I absolutely hate when layers do this. I bet if we re-signed him to a long term deal this past offseason he would not have come into camp so ready.

I hate it when layers get too hot and itchy and then you gotta take them off, but you're not wearing enough layers to keep you warm. So you gotta decide if you want to be hot and itchy or cold and not itchy.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
No matter if there's any truth to him being a bit more motivated in a contract year, I applaud his efforts to come to camp in shape to comPETE rather than the other way around. There's always factors in life like this. Perhaps some of the injuries he sustained were due to being out of shape in the first place. But, can't do anything about all that now. No matter how true it is that some NFL players "seem" to get it together in contract years... it's great to see a guy like James with all the potential he has give himself a chance to see exactly how much better he can get. If Carp has an excellent injury-free season... perhaps there's conditioning clauses in any future contract with the Hawks.

Even before last season... his fellow O-lineman held Carp in high regard. The (current) lineman I spoke with personally couldn't speak highly enough about James Carpenter. I wonder how much more impressed his teammates are now. Can't wait to see what all this looks like in game action.

Just another place to keep our eyes on where the Seahawks improve. I wasn't all that excited about the draft choice of Justin Britt, but man... they seem to have found the right guy there. If James is a beast this year at LG, and P-Rich is truly looking like a clone of Percy Harvin as was posted today as a comment out of camp (on facebook), add Anthony McCoy's production, Christine Michael has grown into an NFL back as being reported, etc., etc. ... lookout.

So, I'm not at all upset about Carpenter being motivated and in shape. But, in general, I think we all know what the OP is talking about when players "suddenly" are able to go because there's money to be had. Credit everyone around James that he's fought through adversity and has the opportunity he does now.

:snack:

Largent80

Reaction score
Being in shape doesn't guarantee he will play well and stay injury free. He has at least 16 regular games, 4 preseason games and then the playoffs to deal with. Then we can talk.

nepahawk

Reaction score
I believe Carp changed his workout routine this year.

I saw him on two episodes of American Muscle, he wasn't featured, but in the background.

He seemed to be committed to his training. So, maybe there is a leaner and meaner Carp in camp.

lsheldon

Reaction score
volsunghawk":23yy4eb1 said:
brimsalabim":23yy4eb1 said:
volsunghawk":23yy4eb1 said:

The egg did, because dinosaurs laid eggs. Chickens evolved over time, but the egg has been a part of reproduction for millions of years.

So which came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
nepahawk":1z2q2al7 said:
I believe Carp changed his workout routine this year.

I saw him on two episodes of American Muscle, he wasn't featured, but in the background.

He seemed to be committed to his training. So, maybe there is a leaner and meaner Carp in camp.

Yeah, there was a significant change in Carp's workout routine. Running. Something he could not do the last two off-seasons because of re-habbing his knee which lead to him being overweight.

I think for athletes, conditioning is crucial for success, better conditioning leads to being more consistent, consistency leads to being confident in your abilities, being confident and sure of what you can do leads to better performance. Carpenter in the past two season did not have proper conditioning to be consistent and he lacked confidence and he was just a bad player.

Fast foward to 2014, I believe Carpenter is going to be a monster, a beast. When he has played well in the past he was straight up nasty and dominant, and he's one of the only players in the league that can make Justin Smith look like a........