My impressions from Training Camp

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to go to training camp on Saturday as a "VIP", which meant that at times I got to be closer to players. I have some thoughts, not all good, about what I saw. I'll start with the things that stuck out to me the most and work my way down from there.

- James Carpenter has lost a TON of weight (I'd guess 40 pounds) and looks beastly. Looks much more smooth with his movements on the field than we've seen before.

- Doug Baldwin is faster, and it looks like it by quite a bit. He was breaking out of his routes very quickly and DBs were having significant trouble staying with him. Apparently on Friday he outran Earl Thomas to the end zone after catching a ball (apparently Thomas was pissed).

- Russell Wilson's accuracy is kind of amazing. Saw him throw 15 balls 15 yards or deeper working with WRs, all different routes. He was hitting them in stride, and usually on the numbers on almost every throw.

- This was a very sharp contrast to Terrelle Pryor who looked like absolute trash the entire day. In the scrimmage portion he threw a ball directly to Benson Mayowa about 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and there wasn't even a receiver in the area. I have no idea what he was doing there. Dude's not gonna make the team.

- Russell Okung still moves around well on the field, but off of it walking from drill to drill or back to the building he walks like a 70 year old with bilateral knee replacements. This was pretty discouraging to see.

- Paul Richardson is very fast, and a huge work in progress with his route running and even just catching the ball. Plus he's a friggen twig.

- Greg Scruggs beat offensive lineman on a pretty consistent basis all practice long.

- One of Tony McDaniel's parents had to have been a polar bear. It is absolutely ridiculous how big that man is. He was walking next to Mebane and Mebane looked like a child. No way he's the same species as me.

- Kam Chancellor looks like he has shoulder pads on when he doesn't. Neither he nor Bruce Irvin are practicing yet.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Knowing Okung's history of being injured. That doesn't sound good. I just pray he doesn't get hurt out there.

kearly

Reaction score
McDaniel is 6 inches taller than Mebane. They are each on the height extremes of the DT position, so it must be pretty funny seeing them stand next to each other. I think the height factor is why the Seahawks want to see McDaniel at the 5-tech more, though he was great at the 3-tech last season.

PC/JS have been dropping hints that Okung might not be getting another contract from Seattle. Part of that is because Okung misses too many games, but it could also partly be because they see him walking geriatric after practices every day and wonder how many miles he still has left on those tires.

sc85sis

Reaction score
That would be too bad if big Russ has health issues that cut short his career with the Hawks. He seems like a really good guy, and when he has been healthy, he's played well.

Time will tell.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Terrelle Pryor's accuracy sucks. If they release Jackson or Daniels to keep Pryor, I'm gonna be pissed. I still dislike that trade.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":qkcjb030 said:
McDaniel is 6 inches taller than Mebane. They are each on the height extremes of the DT position, so it must be pretty funny seeing them stand next to each other. I think the height factor is why the Seahawks want to see McDaniel at the 5-tech more, though he was great at the 3-tech last season.

PC/JS have been dropping hints that Okung might not be getting another contract from Seattle. Part of that is because Okung misses too many games, but it could also partly be because they see him walking geriatric after practices every day and wonder how many miles he still has left on those tires.

Okung is recovering from surgery in his left foot, which explains his limp.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1hei7jcx said:
Terrelle Pryor's accuracy sucks. If they release Jackson or Daniels to keep Pryor, I'm gonna be pissed. I still dislike that trade.

One of the last guys in the entire draft for checking out a guy that plays similiar style as RW and can be used in practice without the red jersey :)

I liked the trade a it was basically free

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3144yi6a said:
kearly":3144yi6a said:

no doubt, dude ran with the bulls last season.....

gargantual

Reaction score
Yeah losing Okung would really bite. Finding O-linemen, particularly left tackles hasn't exactly been a strength of our team (unlike DBs or LBs), so unless we really lucked out, we'd have to spend a big draft pick. Very few LTs sitting in the trashbin out there.

Okung has been great when he's not gimping around.....hell.....not too bad even playing when he IS. Get healthy big guy!

General Manager

Reaction score
These practices don't really concern me we can see them in a real game in a few days and have a much better picture of what we have. I tried to watch a couple of the podcats but it was extremely tedious i'll just wait until we play a game to start evaluating.

OP
OP
I

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Smellyman":21rmnu4o said:
hawknation2014":21rmnu4o said:
kearly":21rmnu4o said:

Here's my problem with that reasoning for his limping. If he is walking as poorly as he was on Saturday because he is still recovering from foot surgery then why is he on the field competing against D-lineman during practice right now? Something tells me the way he was walking was not related to the foot surgery. As a physical therapist it looked like he has something going on with both sides of the body, which is why I said he walks like he's had knee replacements.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I believe it when I see it in actual regular seasons games that Carpenter has turned the corner.

General Manager

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3n96j1mj said:
Smellyman":3n96j1mj said:
hawknation2014":3n96j1mj said:
kearly":3n96j1mj said:

Here's my problem with that reasoning for his limping. If he is walking as poorly as he was on Saturday because he is still recovering from foot surgery then why is he on the field competing against D-lineman during practice right now? Something tells me the way he was walking was not related to the foot surgery. As a physical therapist it looked like he has something going on with both sides of the body, which is why I said he walks like he's had knee replacements.
Health is something that can be easily observed during training camp as is who is getting time with the first unit. That's not good news regarding Okung but it doesn't surprise me at all.

sc85sis

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":zc1w49k0 said:
sc85sis":zc1w49k0 said:
I'm guessing it's just a typo, but Scruggs is a d-lineman, not an o-lineman.

I didn't say he was an o-lineman. I said he beat o-lineman consistently.
OK. For some reason when I read it the first time my brain interpreted what you wrote as he was the "best offensive lineman" rather than what you actually wrote.

sc85sis

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3e2mb20c said:
Smellyman":3e2mb20c said:
hawknation2014":3e2mb20c said:
kearly":3e2mb20c said:

I thought he was only doing walkthroughs, not drills, etc. I'm pretty sure Pete indicated that in one of his pressers.

Tical21

Reaction score
Since they just started, Okung might simply be sore as hell. I was walking like an old man after my first days of practice when I was still a teenager. Some of the guys have done football simulation drills during the offseason, or at least the past few weeks. However, the ones that haven't are using a lot of muscles they haven't used in a long time.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Smellyman":1mdwh6lc said:
hawknation2014":1mdwh6lc said:
kearly":1mdwh6lc said:

He broke his left foot when Justin Smith stomped on it.

okung.gif

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1p5f064t said:
He broke his left foot when Justin Smith stomped on it.

Kidding, right? or the GIF just doesn't show that frame?

Latest posts