John Schneider on Lynch

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
sounds like there will be no more money given.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... ith-lynch/

or

Seahawks general manager John Schneider talked with ESPN’s John Clayton during Tuesday’s training camp, which ESPN is airing live. Clayton asked him about Lynch, who is still a no-show at training camp, as well as about quarterback Russell Wilson and his plans for the future. Here’s the transcript below:

Are you getting concerned about Lynch? “You know, no. Everybody loves Beast Mode. We love him and respect the guy. I think what he’s done in this community, for this franchise, is outstanding. It’s one of those deals where you can never get inside somebody’s head. We’re just going with our plan, and I know it’s cliché-ish but next man up. We’ve had a plan in place here for a number of years, and we can’t veer from that plan for one person because it’s the ultimate team sport.”

Gives us examples of what that plan is? “Well, tough decisions. You make models two and three years out, and you have to stick to that and know that there’s going to be tough decisions along the way. We had to let guys like Red Bryant go, Chris Clemons, we weren’t able to sign Breno (Giacomini), Golden Tate. You have to be able to make those decisions along the way knowing you’ll be able to re-sign Michael Bennett and maybe there’s a free agent that comes in and fits in your bracket. It’s just one of those deals where you have to keep going about your business, and you can’t veer off of that. Around here we talk about what’s next, and the next person is up. That being said, last year we went through this with Brandon Browner. He had his deal, and (Byron Maxwell) got his opportunity. Hey, Marshawn Lynch is phenomenal. Phenomenal player and just a unique part of what we’ve had going on here. Two years ago we were able to redo his deal, and he was a big part of that foundation that we started here.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
From JS and Pete's comments this week, it sure as heck sounds like they're talking about Lynch in the past tense, like this isn't going to be resolved.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Oh, it's going to get resolved in one of two ways. Either Lynch comes back and plays or Lynch doesn't. He isn't getting anymore money because it was never part of the plan and there isn't money in the plan to give. Period Dot.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
He loves the game of foot ball.

He love the game of I'm Lynch and I do what I want (to an extent).

I think he will mosey on into camp soon ... you'll see

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's hard to really say what's going on.

I've heard that Lynch wants more money, and I've heard that Lynch thinks he'll get cut after this year, and he's afraid he won't see the money from next year (which is a valid concern) so he just wants some of that frontloaded to this year.

I think if there is cap space, frontloading a bit would've been a good idea and a show of respect/good faith, but once Lynch went to hold out mode, the Hawks can't really do anything or it sets a precedent for other players to do it.

I love me some Lynch and I'm going to get his jersey this year (or maybe next....it'll be on sale next year!), but the reason we just don't throw money at players is guys like Kevin Williams. If we're totally cash strapped, we can't get guys like that....and from reports from TC, Williams is being a beast all of his own at this point.

Maybe the FO can sit down with Lynch and promise him they will pay and play him next year (if that works within our cap strategy). If the guy gets his biggest pay day year, that might pacify him if he believes the Hawks will keep him around.

Hell, I'd be happy if they paid him next year and then signed him to a value 2 year extension after that. As long as he can still run well, I'd love to keep him around. He's still the identity of this offense.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Never read anything into comments surrounding holdout negotiations; both sides are forced to take extremely strong stances or their negotiating positions would be crippled.

Imagine if Schneider's said this: "If Lynch holds out long enough and we think he is committed to it then we'll offer him a better contract. We're trying to win another Super Bowl this year and Michael just isn't quite ready to perform to Marshawn's level yet."

Or if Lynch said this: "I'm really just seeing if I can get more before I have to start paying back my signing bonus. Of course i'll rejoin the team before that point."

Playing chicken requires convincing the other party that you are more committed than they are.