Seahawks Marketing Already Phasing Out Beast?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
So about two years ago, literally everything was Beast Mode. Pictures of him in the new jersey, big billboard on Clink, Schedule Poster and Postcard give aways, on the Season Tickets of course, and Desktop Backgrounds and Apps etc. etc.

This year anyone else notice, he's not on any of the new billboards at Clink, he's not on the schedule desktop wallpapers, not on any of the 3/4 posters they're are giving out for Training Camp (ADB, Kam, Bennett, and I think Kearse too). He's not on ANY Of the Game Tickets (this was the biggest one I noticed). So yeah anyone else notice it would seem like the Seahawks marketing department has already began to phase out Marshawn Lynch?

Basis4day

Reaction score
He's been the face of the franchise the past couple years and had a generally higher market value. Other players have made a name for themselves, specifically the LOB and the rest of the defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think you seen the aftermath of Beastquake being marketed, he is a important but Bennett signed a new deal, LOB is it's own entity and Kearse had the nice catch and run during the Super Bowl. I don't have tickets so I can't attest to who is on them, but is Baldwin, Harvin, or others getting hyped? they are important also.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":884eetbs said:
He's been the face of the franchise the past couple years and had a generally higher market value. Other players have made a name for themselves, specifically the LOB and the rest of the defense.

I mean I do expect the others to start being marketed more in his place for reasons as you have stated. However, when I didn't even see a single game ticket out of 10 have a picture of his face on it, that was surprising. He may not be THE FACE of the franchise anymore, but he's still top10 if not top3/5 faces for the franchise currently IMO.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Well two years ago he signed a fresh new contract, so he got all the exposure. This year we have new people signing fresh new contracts and THEY get all the exposure.

Not an issue IMO.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
On a side note Golden Tate is this month's picture in the Seahawks SB Calendar. I'm getting tired of looking at his face all month, looking forward to August.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Not surprising.

The writing is on the wall that Lynch isn't likely to be in the plan after this season, because if he were then there would have been a cap benefit this year and next to restructuring him now and pushing some bonus eventually dead money into 2016.

if you want to know why Lynch is holding out, look no further than this same scenario. The money he will make this season of 5.5M (only 5M if he sits out any games as .5 is a roster bonus for being available 16 games barring injury) is likely the last money he will see before having to take a pay cut and finish his career somewhere else.

This is why everyone saying 'HONOR YOUR CONTRACT YOU STILL HAVE TWO YEARS LEFT!' is a little misguided. He's looking at his future and probably doesn't want to be cut next year and have to either retire or be someone's elder backup.

It's also why I think a deal could still get done if the team decides they would like him here for more than one more season. They could give him a bonus and extend his contract by one year. It would give the team immediate cap relief this year and next, with the only down side being some dead money in 2016 when Lynch isn't likely to remain on the team. Lynch in return gets bonus money more than salary he would make this year and some assurance that he'll have a job and a salary in 2015.

themunn

Reaction score
The more it looks like Marshawn already retired and the FO are pulling a fly one by making teams prepare for him even though he won't be there... then he'll do a real rob and come back midseason and break ankles and tackles

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":c6wdrwpu said:
Not surprising.

The writing is on the wall that Lynch isn't likely to be in the plan after this season, because if he were then there would have been a cap benefit this year and next to restructuring him now and pushing some bonus eventually dead money into 2016.

if you want to know why Lynch is holding out, look no further than this same scenario. The money he will make this season of 5.5M (only 5M if he sits out any games as .5 is a roster bonus for being available 16 games barring injury) is likely the last money he will see before having to take a pay cut and finish his career somewhere else.

This is why everyone saying 'HONOR YOUR CONTRACT YOU STILL HAVE TWO YEARS LEFT!' is a little misguided. He's looking at his future and probably doesn't want to be cut next year and have to either retire or be someone's elder backup.

It's also why I think a deal could still get done if the team decides they would like him here for more than one more season. They could give him a bonus and extend his contract by one year. It would give the team immediate cap relief this year and next, with the only down side being some dead money in 2016 when Lynch isn't likely to remain on the team. Lynch in return gets bonus money more than salary he would make this year and some assurance that he'll have a job and a salary in 2015.

None of us blame Lynch, but none of us are taking his side either.

Dude signed a contract with two years left, and if he has another productive year then another team is going to give him a nice 2-3 year contract as a free agent if we do cut him. So it's not like he only has two choices, play or retire.

He can certainly play beyond this year if he plays well.........and there's no reason to think he won't.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Even the desperate jets were only willing to give chris johnson 3m guaranteed and 2 years 8m overall, most of which he won't see more than the 3 of unless he has a huge year. . . and next year lynch will be a year older.

Most recently steven jackson had a productive year before being cut and signed by the falcons where he was injured and rushed for 500 yards.

Writing on the wall just isn't good for lynch, especially if this season they plan on working micheal more into the mix.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2twl4vu5 said:
This morning I noticed that he is no longer listed on the roster on .com either.

-bsd

Check the very bottom of the screen for the section marked "Reserve/Did Not Report"

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":44jssrbh said:
bigskydoc":44jssrbh said:
This morning I noticed that he is no longer listed on the roster on .com either.

-bsd

Check the very bottom of the screen for the section marked "Reserve/Did Not Report"

Yup. Way to give me a mini-heart attack there.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Honestly, yea that is pretty shocking that Beast would not even get a season ticket photo. Hadn't noticed that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3cjlljeb said:
Honestly, yea that is pretty shocking that Beast would not even get a season ticket photo. Hadn't noticed that.

I don't know if it's really that shocking if it wasn't an obvious omission to a lot of fans.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Basis4day":g339auth said:
Missing_Clink":g339auth said:

I don't know if it's really that shocking if it wasn't an obvious omission to a lot of fans.

Well I didn't neurotically flip through mine to see who made the cut and who did not. I'm sure some fans do those things though.

Largent80

Reaction score
Beast is phasing himself out. Sad really. He has all that money and a lot more coming to him but in his eyes, not enough. He should try putting in air conditioners all day like I did and see how he likes it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Basis4day":25lih96x said:
bigskydoc":25lih96x said:

-bsd

Ah, ok. Thanks. I pulled up the roster to figure out who some of the new players were when I was watching video and seeing numbers I didn't recognize. I sorted the list by number and it jumped from 23 Jeron Johnson to 25 RS. Didn't think to scan further down the page.

@zaghawk, I hope you are recovering nicely. Get well soon. I will send some flowers.

-bsd

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":238vjfuf said:
Missing_Clink":238vjfuf said:

I always flip through it cus naturally it should be PC, the big name players, and maybe a HOFer. Marshawn being omitted going to get noticed at least by fans such as myself.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3ccq9klu said:
Beast is phasing himself out. Sad really. He has all that money and a lot more coming to him but in his eyes, not enough. He should try putting in air conditioners all day like I did and see how he likes it.

This is my biggest beef with his decision making. Bout' that action, and don't like being too much in the public eye, fine. But if you want to make the big $$$, you're going to have to sell out a little.