More than 6 WR?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Does anyone think there is a chance that we keep more than the expected 6 WR's? What position would you subtract depth from in order to carry the extra WR? Is there one WR that would make it worth it in your opinion?

Attachments

• WR.JPG
    WR.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 3,145

nategreat

Reaction score
Six would be the limit IMO, plus any practice squad players. You need to keep depth @ the secondary position, as well as the offensive and defensive lines. It's too bad we can't keep everyone!

Anthony!

Reaction score
bbsplitter":55mmppth said:
Does anyone think there is a chance that we keep more than the expected 6 WR's? What position would you subtract depth from in order to carry the extra WR? Is there one WR that would make it worth it in your opinion?

I think it is possible, it depends the lock are Harvin 5'11", Kearse 6'1", Baldwin 5'10", Norwood 6'2", Richardson 6'0". After that it is between Lockette 6'2", Presley 6'4", Matthews 6'5", mainly I see height. As to were we might keep less, TE, FB, QB. Presley looks like he could play both TE and Wr so maybe there is your reason.

skater18000

Reaction score
Anthony!":m5sqq3s5 said:
bbsplitter":m5sqq3s5 said:

I think it is possible, it depends the lock are Harvin 5'11", Kearse 6'1", Baldwin 5'10", Norwood 6'2", Richardson 6'0". After that it is between Lockette 6'2", Presley 6'4", Matthews 6'5", mainly I see height. As to were we might keep less, TE, FB, QB. Presley looks like he could play both TE and Wr so maybe there is your reason.

I'd say #6 looks like Lockette to me but if they were to keep a potential 7th, it has to be Bates.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I don't see any way that a team that runs the ball more than any team other than the Niners keeps more than 6 WR's. And I don't even think it's a mortal lock that they'll keep more than 5 (though my money would be on 6).

Basis4day

Reaction score
We've always kept 5-6. Being a run first team you're going to go heavy on RB/FB and OL. Very unlikely we keep more than that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They could keep an extra WR if they decide to keep only 2 QBs, 4 RBs, or one less DBs. It's going to come down to who can play special teams best for that last member in any positional category. That spot will get that additional head count.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3uru0q51 said:
Starting to think Norwood may go in IR.

Um... why? There's no reason to stash him.. Rice's sudden retirement essentially sealed his roster spot.

But to answer the OP question. It will be 6. Lockette/Bates are duking it out for the last spot IMO.. the rest of the roster fodder is probably fighting for a PS spot

sutz

Reaction score
Doubtful. Harvin is pretty versatile, so he could be listed as a WR/RB, but I don't see him displacing Beast, Turbs, Ware or CM. Pete is unconventional, but I doubt he'll go that route.

That's the problem with the ComPete system. If you have a lot of guys with talent, somebody with talent is gonna lose out and get left behind. Most of this team are now SB winning vets, so it's gonna get harder and harder for young guys to make the roster.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could Pressley or Mathews gain a little weight and play a little TE?

Basis4day

Reaction score
skater18000":35pmdjeu said:
Pressely is a tight end.

They list him as a WR, but he was running with the TE yesterday and has experience in both.

Matthews is a WR and while he has room on his frame to add weight it's a bit extreme to be looking for a position switch.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Basis4day":6vwp9a6k said:
seahawk12thman":6vwp9a6k said:

Norwood is practicing today.
The reason I say he might go on IR is because of his foot issues that have plagued him since high school. Pete has expressed concerns about this since there is nothing wrong structurally. We all know about the slave driver at Alabama Nick Saban and I wonder if the foot has had a chance to fully heal. This is something to keep an eye on..

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2rge26f9 said:
Basis4day":2rge26f9 said:
seahawk12thman":2rge26f9 said:

Norwood is practicing today.
The reason I say he might go on IR is because of his foot issues that have plagued him since high school. Pete has expressed concerns about this since there is nothing wrong structurally. We all know about the slave driver at Alabama Nick Saban and I wonder if the foot has had a chance to fully heal. This is something to keep an eye on..

Every player in the League has a nagging injury from the past whether public or private. If you're going to start thinking IR for Norwood when he is still able to practice then it stands to reason that you would have similar feelings for everyone who has shown nicks thus far or in their past (Bowie, J Williams, Michael, Ware, Richardson, Miller, Harvin, Scruggs, Hill, Simon etc). It's simply too early to have a feeling one way or the other.

Pete has historically taken the conservative approach when it comes to injuries during camp, IMO it's premature to start thinking IR for any player without a clear season ending injury.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Sitting out the season isn't going to cure a nagging nuisance of an ailment that Norwood has had since HS and that he's otherwise been able to play through just fine in college. The college off-seasons were much longer than the NFL season and those rests didn't help, so a few months away now seems unlikely to be the elixir. Plus, Norwood is an over-aged rookie, as he's entering his age-25 season, so they can't really afford to red-shirt him for a year during what should otherwise be the physical prime of his career, unless his foot was to become significantly more debilitated than it currently is.