Will RW's Divorce Affect His Play?

Will the Divorce Have a Negative Affect on RW's Play (At Least Initially)

• Yes

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 104 89.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It seems like RW has done all the right things in the public eye regarding his divorce. Asking for privacy, leaking no details. And in social media just continuing on as normal. I think he did such a good job, really no one talks about it anymore.

However, anyone here who has been through a divorce or hell even a rough break up from a long relationship knows that this can be hell on your mind and soul. There will be at least a significant chunk of time where you could be an emotional wreck and it is very hard to continue business as usual, especially behind closed doors. In RW's case, I'm thinking time he'd normally spend studying playbooks, time he'd normally spend watching video. Hell time he probably used to get emotional support from his wife.

Anyone else think that we're underestimating the potential Negative effect RW's divorce is going to have on his play (at least initially, since "time heals all wounds") going into this season?

dbsn2420

Reaction score
It definitely sucks that Russ has had to go through this in the off season; I'm sure at times it is heavy on his heart and mind. I hope he's dealt with it by dedicating full focus to his craft, I guess we'll see as the season starts.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Donn2390":39ysaeng said:
Russell is keeping it a private matter, I think we should all respect that and not be making it a topic of discussion.

+1

grizbob

Reaction score
No, not if he's half the man we think he is :roll: been through 2 myself and found work was the perfect way to take my mind off of the personal crap.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Divorce is like a death in the family. It can be devastating, even to those that initiate it. For several months after my divorce I was in a constant fog, lack of emotion but it passed. I think RW's deal was over and done with early and by now he's probably very focused on football.

I read an article about divorce that said it takes 50% of the time that you were together to get over a broken relationship. So if you were together 8 years, it takes 4 to get over it. I imagine that doesn't apply to marriages that are 20+ years on and died a long time ago.

Of course it really helps with one's self confidnce when your the starting QB of a SuperB Owl Champion and have hot women taking selfies with you and you have a huge fan base.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
RW is 100% football; the rest he leaves up to God. To fear his emotional turmoil would be to fear his faith waning. I have seen no indication of that happening. Allay your fears and carry on.

Cartire

Reaction score
If you believe hearsay and internet rumors. The Divorce (or issues leading up to the divorce) began before the NFCCG. If thats true, and Ive heard it around alot, he played pretty amazingly in the next 2 games. So I would say it'll be aight.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I see no reason to discuss this further.

Would you want your divorce discussed on a public forum?

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":13aa6dkg said:
If you believe hearsay and internet rumors. The Divorce (or issues leading up to the divorce) began before the NFCCG. If thats true, and Ive heard it around alot, he played pretty amazingly in the next 2 games. So I would say it'll be aight.

Well, and you don't even need to take rumors or Internet into account, it's pretty obvious RW is a thoughtful guy, and so one can assume he wouldn't take such a drastic action without giving it some serious thought and possibly trying counseling or getting advice from a few other people and then thinking about it some more... given the timing of the announcement of the divorce one has to come to the conclusion that whatever was going on had to have come to his attention two, four, six months earlier, at least that would be logical.

I suspect that whatever was going on probably started getting weird in November, honestly, that's my best guess. There were a few games in that timeframe where RW wasn't as crisp or as present as he had been earlier in the season. I suspect he came to some decisions in late December or early January and was just waiting to make an announcement until the right time i.e. a few weeks after the season was over.

Long story short, I think everything this season will be fine, if there were any short term issues, they are long gone.

He's lucky that there aren't children involved, and it's also good that people are honoring his request to leave them alone while they work through the issues and the courts.

AVL

Reaction score
Seems like how it would affect his play rather than if it would have an effect.

I think he is going to be lights out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Now that he's single and about to make 20M a year.. Russ will transform into Leon Phelps

51BEA9B5VVL SS500

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I believe that the divorce was established privately well before the playoffs even started. Did it affect his performance then? Absolutely not.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
When I first read this, the thought that came to me first was, this is the guy during the NFC Championship, who at the beginning of the game, rolled out, got hit by Aldon Smith, balled was knocked out, and Smith recovered down at our end zone.

Horrible start in a tough important game. Most important game of his career at that point.

After the game in interviews, he was asked about that play. He said 'oh yea, I forgot about that.'

Wilson has that incredible ability to focus, and forget bad plays, or block out the noise when he gets on the field. No worries. He'll be fine.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1l0rkz66 said:
It seems like RW has done all the right things in the public eye regarding his divorce. Asking for privacy, leaking no details. And in social media just continuing on as normal. I think he did such a good job, really no one talks about it anymore.

However, anyone here who has been through a divorce or hell even a rough break up from a long relationship knows that this can be hell on your mind and soul. There will be at least a significant chunk of time where you could be an emotional wreck and it is very hard to continue business as usual, especially behind closed doors. In RW's case, I'm thinking time he'd normally spend studying playbooks, time he'd normally spend watching video. Hell time he probably used to get emotional support from his wife.

Anyone else think that we're underestimating the potential Negative effect RW's divorce is going to have on his play (at least initially, since "time heals all wounds") going into this season?
The "drama" was going on during the playoff run, how did that turn out? Pretty good, I'd say.
So no, it won't be a factor at all.