When talking about the Hawks..."We" vs "They"

What do word do you use when you're talking about the Seahawks?

• We

Votes: 70 78.7%
  • They

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZagHawk

Reaction score
So I just got in a conversation with someone the other day because he caught me using the term "we" a lot when talking about the Hawks. His point being, you don't play for the Hawks, it's "they". Perfectly logical if you ask me. But at the same time I feel like we're so in tuned and connected to this team through social media, training camp, setting noise records that helps our/the team in the stadium. That we can't help but say "we" when we talk about the Hawks. After all they are the Seattle Seahawks (for those of us who live in the area and/or are from it). But again, none of us play for the Hawks, I think there may be a few of us who work for the organization, but the rest of us don't. So what do you say when you're talking about the Seahawks, "we" or "they".

mrt144

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2b8uvtgu said:
So I just got in a conversation with someone the other day because he caught me using the term "we" a lot when talking about the Hawks. His point being, you don't play for the Hawks, it's "they". Perfectly logical if you ask me. But at the same time I feel like we're so in tuned and connected to this team through social media, training camp, setting noise records that helps our/the team in the stadium. That we can't help but say "we" when we talk about the Hawks. After all they are the Seattle Seahawks (for those of us who live in the area and/or are from it). But again, none of us play for the Hawks, I think there may be a few of us who work for the organization, but the rest of us don't. So what do you say when you're talking about the Seahawks, "we" or "they".

I use we, but only because as far as making a distinction with pronouns and antecedents, it's much more clear to use We when referring to the Seahawks, and they referring to any other team besides the Seahawks.

"We gave the Niners a hell of a NFC Championship game. They came close but were undone by our strong secondary and their absent minded play calling."

kidhawk

Reaction score
I find myself using both terms, but I think that comes with the territory of being such a strong fan of a team. There are many people who never feel the way a fanatic feels about their team, and will always give you an odd look when you say "we" when discussing our team.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Uh, I use both depending on the context of the circumstances at the time. Also, people that make comments along the lines of "Why are you saying 'we', you're not part of the team!" are...Well, I can't say outside the shack.

Riley12

Reaction score
Question - Was this "someone" a non-Seahawks fan?

I've had that same conversation, but with someone who doesn't follow professional sports of any sort.

I think the "We" conditioning starts as far back as high school. maybe even further. For a lot of Seahawks fans, we are as invested and passionate about our team as people are about their kids Saturday soccer group, maybe even moreso.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I use both, and I don't think it matters. When you are invested in something (like diehard fans are) then you are going to feel a part of it, whether you technically are or not.

sutz

Reaction score
I use both. It's always "We are the best" when they're kicking butt, but it's "They "suck when things are not going so well.

;)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous to say "we" but I generally don't bother people about it. Only one of my friends here that is a local huge Ravens/Orioles fan. I can get him spun up asking him how many receptions he had in the game but that's just for fun.

I think the "we" injection makes more sense if you're going to or an alumnus of a college. It makes no sense to me if you really aren't from the city (another thing I like to harass my friend about is that he's not from Baltimore City even though he lived close in the adjoining county). If you've never been to the city then...wow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I hate the "you're not on the team dude, so stop saying we" guy.

If you're a passionate invested fan, I don't see a problem with using the term "we." It's natural to take ownership of a sports team when you heavily into the team.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't really like the term we, but I use it if I'm talking about the Hawks playing an opponent for example

"we'll be able to shut down their running game" because if I say "they'll be able to shut down their running game" it's difficult to ascertain which team is which. And I'm to lazy to say "the hawks will be able to shut down their running game"

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I prefer to say "The Seahawks" or "Hawks"
But, I've lightened up on the use of "we"... except with Niner fans. ;) Gotta have some fun.

grizbob

Reaction score
kidhawk":36negusm said:
I find myself using both terms, but I think that comes with the territory of being such a strong fan of a team. There are many people who never feel the way a fanatic feels about their team, and will always give you an odd look when you say "we" when discussing our team.

:13: We agree

Laloosh

Reaction score
Just don't say "our" too much. Loaf will be on the case.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Being a bandwagoner (followed Wilson from NC State to Seahawks) and living on the East Coast, I freely admit to using they.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I mostly use they because of a pretty funny comedy bit I heard years ago.

However, I figure that if you're talking about a play in the game, they is more appropriate almost always. If it's who beat who, then we is fine, given Seattle's HFA, I think.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I may have never stepped foot on the turf, but I have given a lot of money to this team over the years between taxes, tickets, memorabilia, etc. It would be cool if we could buy shares in the team ala GB, then you could flaunt that in the face of the "you aren't part of the team" guy.

I use both depending on the situation

- bsd

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
sutz":2dl2lf3o said:
I use both. It's always "We are the best" when they're kicking butt, but it's "They "suck when things are not going so well.

;)

This!