Who's the next Seahawk to go in to the Hall of Fame?

What Seahawk is next into the Hall of Fame?

• Kenny Easley

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Shaun Alexander

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Richard Sherman

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Gotta be somebody who played almost their full career in Seattle, or who we think will play almost their whole career in Seattle. So guys like John Randle and Jerry Rice don't count.

I really hope its Kenny Easley. He and Steve Largent are the original reasons that i became a Seahawks fan (as well as loving the helmet). But I have a feeling if it hasnt happened for him by now its not going to happen. So my guess is that it will be the first to retire between #3, #25 and #29. Maybe #37, but i dont think he makes it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I said "Other" because I too hope Easley gets in. I also would like Pete to make it as a head coach--after the Hawks win multiple Super Bowls--and he's probably more likely to retire and be eligible before the guys playing for the team right now.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Lynch goes to the hall right now, but lets just say for argument's sake Seattle pulls off the three-Pete with Lynch going for big numbers in both 2014 and 2015. I think that puts him in the discussion for sure, and his career would end many years before Richard Sherman or Earl Thomas. Obviously Lynch is a long shot, but in a best case scenario he would be the first guy to go.

I'd be surprised if Easley or Alexander ever got in. A case could be made, but I don't sense any HoF momentum on their behalves.

I voted Sherman. He's on a HoF trajectory will presumably have a shorter career than Thomas since smaller/faster players tend to age more gracefully and play longer.

Sac

Reaction score
Lynch, if he gets 10,000 yards and another ring or two.

Sherman

Earl

Wilson in another 20 years.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Steve Hutchinson, if he meets your arbitrary criteria.

5 seasons as a Hawk, 6 as a Viking, and one as a Titan.

Though his HOF caliber ball was played throughout his tenure as a Hawk and his first few seasons as a Viking; he went to the Super Bowl and blocked for an at the time record breaking MVP as a Hawk.

I'm over the way he left, and if you've heard Holmgren speak to the situation it almost all falls on Ruskell and Hutch's representatives. I'm past it and ready to welcome Hutch as the next Hawk with a gold jacket . No one should have one incident held against them for the rest of their life; if Hass, Walt, Holmgren and Tobeck got love for Hutch, who I am I to harbor any resentment?

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
The next will be Hutchinson. He played more years in Minnesota but his best years were in Seattle. Easley is a longshot, but I thought Tez would wait longer, so you never know.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lynch then Carroll then Chancellor then Sherman then Thomas then Wilson.

Yes, I am a homer.

:th2thumbs:

Meeker

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't see Easley or Alexander ever making it. Same with Lynch as I don't see him playing long enough to build up the stats. I see the next one being Carroll as he will retire before the other players and have faith in him building up a good enough resume (another championship or two...).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson.
With as many wins and a SB ring that he has in just two Seasons, and his numbers are still climbing.
Both Thomas and Sherman have a good chance, + Chancellor seems to be getting better and better at enforcing the wary catch zone.
Marshawn stays beastly, and I see him shaking out some votes also.
I would love it if it happened, but I truly don't think Easley will get in, but he is amongst the best to ever playing Safety if you ask me....and if you don't, well, Just ask Ronnie Lott what he thinks of #45.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sherman. He's older than Wilson and Thomas and will presumably retire sooner (though a lot can happen).

All three are on a 1st ballot HOF trajectory. Might just depend on who's eligible first.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I'll go out on a bit of a limb and say Earl without a question right now. I think Sherm, Kam, and Wilson will have an opportunity if they continue their trajectory, but Earl is the one ahead of the pack as far as the HOF is concerned.

I would love to see Kenny Easley in the hall but I just don't think it's going to happen, so I went for current players. I think Lynch is a GREAT player, but not a HOFer. There's too many RBs that are amazing and unless he plays another 4 years or so at this level, he just isn't that caliber. I say that as a big fan of his.

Tical21

Reaction score
If you made the hall based off of talent, Kenny would be a first-ballot guy. But he only played in 89 games in his career. Three All-Pros is pretty nice, but there just isn't the body of work there. I'm actually somewhat surprised he's being brought up.
Shaun is 14th all-time on the TD list, which will always be his biggest benefit. But there are a bunch of RB's with thousands more yards that I would think have to get in first. Guys like Edgerrin, even Dillon. I don't see his number getting called, although soon you're going to run out of bell-cow RB's that put up big career numbers. He won't be getting passed like the guys on the WR/QB lists.
The rest of the guys all have so far to go. I picked Earl because he is universally liked and respected, but they've all just got so far to go.

chris98251

Reaction score
Safeties or I should say pure Safeties do not get in the Hall of Fame for some reason, Lott played a bit of Corner and bounced around a bit, and I think it is safe to say he was a Safety. BUt the Hall looks at all of them as DB's Just looking a bit ago they are thinking that Ed Reed may be the First pure Safety to get in. Hard to believe really but if you look at the DB's listed it's actually very surprising.

CB's have typically longer careers though and have better over all numbers as far as tackles and pass defensed etc. Safety is a shorter term position and a fall back for CB's who lose a step. The hitting and blocking a Safety takes on I think is the case. So pure Safeties don't typically have the length of service.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3j73v6if said:
I'd love to see Easley get in, but right now, if status quo is maintained, it's probably Earl or Sherman.
I'd love to see Easley I the HOF but his career was too short for a lot of HOF voters. The guy was my hero as a teenager. He gave those Seattle teams attitude back then. It's a cryin shame he didn't get to play in a Super Bowl.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hutch was one of the greatest guards to ever play the game. He was also my favorite Hawk for some time. I hope he never gets the call. No hatchet burying here. He ended his career in Seattle with the most punkass of moves. I wouldn't let him sell peanuts or hotdogs at the Clink if it were up to me.

I understand the love affair with SA in Seattle, but he's long forgotten in the league. His name was said 5 x more today than it's been said in the last 5 years. He lacks the respect necessary to get into the hall. But he walks without a limp, so he has that.

Marshawn won't have the numbers to get in and there's not many...uh...free spirits in the hall. It's predominately a club of conformists. I'm sure Lynch isn't too worried about any of it. He has the Lambo and hopefully a statue in the works. Few, if any, did more for this franchise than Marshawn Lynch and he could be my all time favorite by year's end.

Sherm and Earl are certainly future candidates, but they have a long way to go before such discussions are anything more than fun. But if they even play (their) average over the next 6 years or so...they are locks, imo.

Easley gets my vote. (something of) a longshot, but not as long as the others. He would have been first ballot for me. And that's the NFL fan in me more so than Seahawk fan. He was the greatest and that should be enough to place him with many less great than he, regardless of his lack of longevity. Different ownership...but this franchise owes Kenny Easley. Someone should be lobbying hard for his induction.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the Veterans committee could swing it, while it depends who is on it that would be the way. Players that played with and against him would give him all the credit his lack of years don't.

Here's a part of a an article about possible HOF nominees, this is what they said about Easley.

Rest of the article is here. Written by Sando

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/kenny-easley

Seahawks: Kenny Easley, SS

Claim to fame: Easley was a game-changing force while earning five Pro Bowl berths in seven seasons. He was the NFL's defensive player of the year in 1984.

Case for enshrinement: All-time Seahawks sack leader Jacob Green called Easley the best athlete his Seattle teams ever had. Tight end Todd Christensen of the division-rival Los Angeles Raiders said Easley, at his best, was even better than Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. Bill Walsh said Easley would be a Hall of Famer if Easley had played longer and, in his words, "maybe he still is -- he was that good." Lott said he knows the 49ers would have drafted Easley over himself if Seattle hadn't taken Easley first, and he blamed the Seahawks' failure to appear in a Super Bowl for keeping Easley out of Canton.

"Kenny could do what Jack Tatum could do, but he also could do what corners could do -- he could do what Mike Haynes could do," Lott said several years ago. "He was not only a great hitter and great intimidator on the field, but he was a great athlete. In that day, what made him so special -- him, Lawrence Taylor, those guys changed the game of football on the defensive side because they were not just guys that were big hitters. Now, all of sudden, you were seeing guys who were big hitters but also as athletic as anyone on offense."

Easley's outstanding ball skills helped him pick off 17 passes over a two-year period. He was indeed part of a trend toward greater athleticism on defense.

Case against enshrinement: Even if Easley were, at his best, better than Lott, there was no comparison between each man's careers. Easley, forced into early retirement after suffering from kidney failure attributed to excessive use of ibuprofen, simply didn't play long enough to solidify his Hall of Fame credentials. That wasn't his fault, but it was reality and it's tough to judge candidates on what might have been.

Parting shot: Easley becomes eligible for consideration by the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee in 2012. His case deserves careful consideration and I think his chances for enshrinement will improve once the Senior Committee takes a harder look at his career. Easley was better than a lot of people realize. The respect he commands from all-time greats will help his cause.

chris98251

Reaction score
I also have another thought, based on how we build our depth, will Earl and Sherm even finish their careers as Seahawks, Earl, loses a step, Sherm loses a step and gets to the last year of their contracts and we trade or release. Would they still be as valued. Just a thought, I know they are considered core right now, but in two years?