It's so great being champs.

JonRud

Reaction score
Amazing huh? I have been noticing this too. People are stealing our catchphrases, defensive philosophy, etc... It's GREAT to be the King, and a long time coming.

rideaducati

Reaction score
That link is just sad. Why not us? Cleveland Browns? Let me count the reasons.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1c0z344g said:
Why not us? http://search.nfl.com/search?query=WHY+NOT+US

LMAO! NFL= Copycat league. Russell should have made a copyright of his phrase..

Russell used the phrase in a great way - and it's a great slogan. However, he did not coin the phrase so it is not "his" to copyright.

I'm sure there are many examples, but here is one from baseball in October, 2004:

"Three words sum everything up. Inside Fenway this weekend, they were selling blue T-shirts for $25 that simply said, "WHY NOT US?" They were selling like hot cakes.

Why not us?

Of course, Schilling started that bandwagon. He's the one who kept repeating that phrase over and over before the playoffs, and now we're here -- two wins away from that giant group hug -- and I'm kicking myself for not buying one of those T-shirts last night. Sometimes in life, you just have to believe."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/041025

Largent80

Reaction score
Andrea, I am in 100% agreement. Even though I do care about what happens this year, I am basking in the glow of last year.

This Thursday we are having mama Shermans birthday party right down the street while the game will be on in the background. Life is GOOD !!!!!!

danp1990

Reaction score
rideaducati":1b8y5wq2 said:

Are you serious!? if anything the Browns bolster one of the best rosters in the NFL. if hoyer can play up to par the browns are a threat in the AFC North . Defense was Ranked 9th last year and now the have a defense understudy of rex ryan to call exotic blitzes from the 3-4 defense. good 3-4 D-line, Calos Dansby as the leader of the linebackers, great signal caller...and their secondary is much inproved with the addition of Justin Gilbert. So they have CB Haden,CB Gilbert, SS Whitner. Thats no joke. OFFENSE- other than the niners, and eagles,they have an all pro line as well. they even drafted a guy so many of us wanted in the draft in Joel Bitoni T out of Nevada. pro-bowl caliber TE Cameron, and decent receivers.So what are your reasons your counting ??? as we we know a franchise can change drastically with one player- Us with a 2011 record of 7-9 and then the''ARRIVAL'' OF WILSON that shot us to 2012 record of 11-5. Brian Hoyer was 3-0 last year before injury hit him,and add the fact WR Josh Gordan might play this season while waiting the suspension verdict.might just be 4-6 games instead of 1yr he was able to over turn appeal. Im a Hawks Fan through and through! but i do study other teams to see matchups.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
rideaducati":s095foke said:

LOL. Right? Oh, and the Detroit Lions too. LMAO!!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RedAlice":1iktdukm said:
Seahwkgal":1iktdukm said:
Why not us? http://search.nfl.com/search?query=WHY+NOT+US

LMAO! NFL= Copycat league. Russell should have made a copyright of his phrase..

Russell used the phrase in a great way - and it's a great slogan. However, he did not coin the phrase so it is not "his" to copyright.

I'm sure there are many examples, but here is one from baseball in October, 2004:

"Three words sum everything up. Inside Fenway this weekend, they were selling blue T-shirts for $25 that simply said, "WHY NOT US?" They were selling like hot cakes.

Why not us?

Of course, Schilling started that bandwagon. He's the one who kept repeating that phrase over and over before the playoffs, and now we're here -- two wins away from that giant group hug -- and I'm kicking myself for not buying one of those T-shirts last night. Sometimes in life, you just have to believe."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/041025

I'm sure you can google and find other times the phrase was used. But, until Russell started preaching it to his team (because it was something his Dad regularly said to his son, "Why not you, Russ?"), where else was it being used in the NFL? That's the point. It wasn't. Therefore, the OP is correct. It's a copycat league. Russell's use of it had everything to do with the life lessons taught by his Dad... not anyone else.

Even if you brought that to Russell's attention... uses of that phrase in other times would be meaningless comparatively. Wilson is a masterful leader who shared it with a franchise on the cusp of greatness... and probably rid them of the last thing holding them back from getting it done. THAT compared to teams (I'll withhold citing examples) that are not realistically in the position to win it all and us hearing about the widespread overuse of it now as if it realistically applies... it's sort of a misuse of what has become synonymous with the Hawks. In your example, it's not like some team was sitting in the cellar of their division and using that as a rallying cry. Apples and Oranges.

Words are sometimes mere words. Other teams may try to capture a little bit of everything that makes these Seahawks Champions, but Russell and these Seahawks rally around that like no other team. No question about it. Other teams' use of it could be said to be some sort of flattery, I suppose (if you look at it that way.) But, if teams overuse it... maybe the Hawks should graduate from "Why not us"... to something like, "Because they're NOT us."

By the way... since you're a Rams fan (correct?), I'll say this: Tavon Austin is one of the coolest young players in the league. Love his play, love his interviews.

Go Hawks... Team of the Century. It's our time... and it's just getting started.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
danp1990":2fxflyv1 said:
rideaducati":2fxflyv1 said:

Are you serious!? if anything the Browns bolster one of the best rosters in the NFL. if hoyer can play up to par the browns are a threat in the AFC North . Defense was Ranked 9th last year and now the have a defense understudy of rex ryan to call exotic blitzes from the 3-4 defense. good 3-4 D-line, Calos Dansby as the leader of the linebackers, great signal caller...and their secondary is much inproved with the addition of Justin Gilbert. So they have CB Haden,CB Gilbert, SS Whitner. Thats no joke. OFFENSE- other than the niners, and eagles,they have an all pro line as well. they even drafted a guy so many of us wanted in the draft in Joel Bitoni T out of Nevada. pro-bowl caliber TE Cameron, and decent receivers.So what are your reasons your counting ??? as we we know a franchise can change drastically with one player- Us with a 2011 record of 7-9 and then the''ARRIVAL'' OF WILSON that shot us to 2012 record of 11-5. Brian Hoyer was 3-0 last year before injury hit him,and add the fact WR Josh Gordan might play this season while waiting the suspension verdict.might just be 4-6 games instead of 1yr he was able to over turn appeal. Im a Hawks Fan through and through! but i do study other teams to see matchups.

I agree with you , I just wouldn't take it that far. They would have to beat us and that ain't happening .

Hoyer will be a monster . without a doubt.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":ayciu1b6 said:
Andrea, I am in 100% agreement. Even though I do care about what happens this year, I am basking in the glow of last year.

This Thursday we are having mama Shermans birthday party right down the street while the game will be on in the background. Life is GOOD !!!!!!

You lucky SOB. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I'm sure you can google and find other times the phrase was used. But, until Russell started preaching it to his team (because it was something his Dad regularly said to his son, "Why not you, Russ?"), where else was it being used in the NFL? That's the point. It wasn't. Therefore, the OP is correct. It's a copycat league. Russell's use of it had everything to do with the life lessons taught by his Dad... not anyone else.

Even if you brought that to Russell's attention... uses of that phrase in other times would be meaningless comparatively. Wilson is a masterful leader who shared it with a franchise on the cusp of greatness... and probably rid them of the last thing holding them back from getting it done. THAT compared to teams (I'll withhold citing examples) that are not realistically in the position to win it all and us hearing about the widespread overuse of it now as if it realistically applies... it's sort of a misuse of what has become synonymous with the Hawks. In your example, it's not like some team was sitting in the cellar of their division and using that as a rallying cry. Apples and Oranges.
This is EXACTLY what I meant. I am loving the copy catting. It's awesome!!!!

danp1990

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":sfrp7cex said:
danp1990":sfrp7cex said:
rideaducati":sfrp7cex said:

I agree with you , I just wouldn't take it that far. They would have to beat us and that ain't happening .

Hoyer will be a monster . without a doubt.

Never did i say they would beat us,Just that i dont look down all pompous at them.They look like a solid team thats all,not a joke tho.And as far as beating us ''NEVER''!... if injuries dont plague us i dont see any team even comming close to our great team and chemistry to make it mesh so well! :)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Bill Simmons had a theory that winning a championship gives you a five-year buffer zone with your fanbase before they start expecting/demanding another title.

I don't know if that's true, but I feel REALLY laid back about this upcoming season. Don't get me wrong; I want the Seahawks to repeat so they can stuff the "Super Bowl hangover" excuse for analysis down everyone's throats, but it's not like last year where I was thinking that if they didn't win then, they might never do it.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pmedic920":2i9nn98p said:
I just wish every time somebody said it, they showed a picture of the "LOB" and because this.
original.gif

irocdave

Reaction score
Collectively we all knew last year was going to be our year before the 2013 preseason began. That's what pissed us off so much about the niner fans holier than though attitude. Niner fans sat back and thought "well, we were almost there, then we were there so who gives a crap what's happening now with a division rival, we know were better and our opinion in the face of facts is more accurate because we have 5 Lombardi's" WRONG.

We knew it was our year and it was. Me personally, I don't have the same feeling this year but I do know the Hawks will make the playoffs and knock the stuffing out of at least two teams. I also see another niner ass whooping coming. Last years team was just hungry as was the fan base. I don't see the 12's taking a back seat this year but the Hawks did lose a lot of talent and with a couple of key injuries there could be a 2nd round loss in the cards. That's OK, we got one and in the most dominating fashion possible. It's also OK because we have a great PROVEN NFL head coach and GM. We aren't bitching about almost being great, the Hawks WERE great and one of the greatest ever on the biggest of stages.
This is going to be another good year to be a Hawk fan.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I mostly love how everyone is doing it. But having almost zero understanding of what it takes to make that statement happen.

2012 I truly believed we were going to win the Super Bowl. The team was locked and loaded and everything seemed to be falling into place. 2013 was really in my mind an extension of 2012. The work ethic and the attention to details lend that phrase meaning. Seeing other teams with just horribly flawed organizations and teams trying to ape the phrase as if it'll bestow some measure of greatness on them. It's like a couple of walrus' trying on some 2 piece bikinis because some hot model looks good in an ad.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":380obi4k said:

This is EXACTLY what I meant. I am loving the copy catting. It's awesome!!!!

Just read this, too. It gets at the same point:
No Carbon Copies

Coaches at a number of levels have already been attempting to mimic the Seahawks’ style, whether it’s the rock-and-rap-and-R&B music pumped into practices or the punchy “always compete” slogans. But Malcolmson says he’s found that such imitation has its limits.

“There’s only one Pete Carroll,” he tells me. “You can’t be a carbon copy.” But he adds that there’s still much that others can learn from what’s happening in the revolution along Lake Washington. “It’s transferable,” he says, “from sports to schools to business and so on … But you have to do it in a way that’s true to who you are.” It’s a good bet is that we’ll see plenty of attempts by others to transfer and adapt that approach in the years ahead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2 ... verything/

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":rbwem2uj said:
Bill Simmons had a theory that winning a championship gives you a five-year buffer zone with your fanbase before they start expecting/demanding another title.

I don't know if that's true, but I feel REALLY laid back about this upcoming season. Don't get me wrong; I want the Seahawks to repeat so they can stuff the "Super Bowl hangover" excuse for analysis down everyone's throats, but it's not like last year where I was thinking that if they didn't win then, they might never do it.

Instead of wondering IF my team can win the Super Bowl, I now KNOW they can a win the Super Bowl. It's a huge difference for me.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
irocdave":3py8fkcc said:
We knew it was our year and it was. Me personally, I don't have the same feeling this year...
the Hawks did lose a lot of talent and with a couple of key injuries there could be a 2nd round loss in the cards. That's OK, we got one and...
There+you+go+_332705f366526aa7f576eb0edb634b6d.gif

And? Shut your freakin' mouth.

Dom.jpg