OL Caylin Hauptmann ..... a camp surprise?

Jville

Reaction score
In pass-pro drills, Caylin Hauptmann had another good day, doing great against Mebane (really) and D’Anthony Smith. In Carpenter’s absence, Hauptmann has put together a really good camp. He looks like a short 6-3, but has stood in there strong in most cases. I

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/08/05/quick-post-practice-bits/[/urltargetblank]

sc85sis

Reaction score
:sarcasm_off: That can't be, our o-line is falling apart and we're doomed. I know because I've seen posts here at .net that say exactly that!

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to read some optimistic stuff too.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I would hope he'd be a solid pass protector given that he was a LT throughout his college career. Hope he proves to be a great find for us.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The FO seemed really high on this guy when they added him to the roster. Hopefully he is coming into his own. We could really use a pleasant surprise on the O-line.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is why guys like Wade Smith are important to the process, players like Caylin Hauptmann stay are their toes and either sink or swim.

The Seahawks will keep at least 9 OL but they usually keep 10. My favorites are

1. Russell Okung
2. James Carpenter
3. Max Unger
4. JR Sweezy
5. Eric Winston

Most backups will be versatile but should have a primary focus.
6. Alvin Bailey (LT)
7. Lemuel Jeanpierre (OC)
8. Justin Britt (RT)
9. Caylin Hauptmann (LG)
10. Wade Smith (RG)

I would like to see Smith make it, after reading up about him, he's a very versatile veteran presence that I think can stabalize the depth. Along with Winston, they would be great for basically every player save for Unger to learn from because Smith and Winston just have a lot of experience in the league. Which is great for players like Sweezy and Britt to have those guys in their hip pockets on and off the field.

And both Smith and Winston are different kind of veteran role models than McQuistan... when Cable acquired McQuistan, he was out of the league and he was average at best. Both Smith and Winston have experienced being near or at the top of their fields of their respected positions in the last 2-3 years.

Winston is the type of player who is still young enough to start and be above replacement level.

Smith is more depth than starter material at this point but he's definately a player with enough experience that can help and influence the younger linemen and capable of spot starting if needed.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
sc85sis":27fpib7l said:
:sarcasm_off: That can't be, our o-line is falling apart and we're doomed. I know because I've seen posts here at .net that say exactly that!

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to read some optimistic stuff too.

DOOOOOOOOOMED!

Even before the first game played.... that doesn't count.

DOOOOOOOOOMED!

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Hauptmann shouldn't be a surprise to anyone paying attention. He was a great find almost a year ago, although some fans are just discovering him. Cleveland, who had a surprisingly good offensive line last year, tried to stash him on their practice squad, but the Seahawks signed him when Okung got hurt. He was on the 53-man roster starting about the third game of last season and remained on the roster even when Okung came back. He has excellent potential and was expected to make the roster again this season.