New Rule Changes: Are Seahawks Being Targeted?

aawolf

Reaction score
I was listening to Sal Palentonio on NFL Radio this morning and he said the new rule changes seem to be targeting Seahawks and their aggressive play. Defensive holding will be a focus this year, as will hands to the face. It appears from the Hall of Fame Game that flags will be flying constantly whenever there is a jersey pull by a defensive back. With our aggressive defense, how often will we be penalized for this stuff, and how will it affect us? I recall how often we were penalized for plays last year where the contact was questionable, and we can expect a lot more of that. Here is an article I found on the emphasis and rule changes this year; Its from a Bills sight, but it explains why this may be a problem for the Seahawks.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/i ... hings.html

So, how will this affect the Seahawks?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was talking about this with a guy yesterday at the VMAC. Funny how as soon as the Hawks in it all, the new rules are rolling in. They will overcome any bad calls as always, and hopefully it's just something that is getting more hype than anything. Maybe we see more the first few weeks, and then it calms down. I guess a LOT of teams are complaining about it already, way too ticky tack from the refs etc.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Just going to ruin the game and, quite honestly, the more the refs get involved this NFL will turn into the NBA - a sport I no longer watch because the refs have way to much pull in what happens. It will be a watered down version of what physical football used to be.

oasis

Reaction score
worst-case-scenario if our defense somehow takes a step back, the offense will pick up the slack. Russ will get the ball out quicker. I'm so pumped to watch hawk ball that nothing can stop me.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I hope our defense can make the right adjustments to show that their success isn't reliant on holds. I just want one less thing for the critics to use against our team. I'm sure they'll always find something else to point at. But whatever, just keep taking away their ammo slowly until they're forced to realize that this Hawks team is good, deal with it.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
oasis":12b0orbq said:
worst-case-scenario if our defense somehow takes a step back, the offense will pick up the slack. Russ will get the ball out quicker. I'm so pumped to watch hawk ball that nothing can stop me.

Also a good point - with our receivers (Percy, Doug and Richardson especially), this does benefit our (and all) offenses - luckily offenses are scared of Kam and Earl is a missle - along with our shutdown Sherm and Lord Byron.

Sac

Reaction score
When the new rules emphasis was first brought up a month ago, one of the reps tweeted that not a single Seahawks play was in the example video of things to look for. Or boys are already doing things correctly. Nothing to see here.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
IT pisses me off as a football fan. How the league can sit back and say you know what would make the game better and more enjoyable? More flags...........

But as a hawks fan im not worried. We have the elite of the elite in our secondary. It's going to hurt us some times yes, But its going to hurt other teams WAY more.

Goodell gets to have his poster boys break more records. While the real football teams will continue to win the big games......

This is turning into Arena football. How long until the motion rule changes and you have WR's getting 15 yard running starts?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think this will impact the defense too much.. they didn't draw a single flag for illegal contact in 2013. Defensive holding is whatever.. we will get flagged for that regardless of rule changes, but so will everyone else.

Do agree that the NFL continuing to cater to the passing game is pretty funny though. I guess they want QB's to throw for 6000 yards a year now.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I don't think it's targeting us intentionally. By default having one of the most physical secondary, this impacts us. It' also impacts the Cardinals, the 49ers, and the other aggressive defenses just as much.

However, I DO think it targets defense in general. With the inflated contracts of QBs, the ever increasing number of meaningless QB ratings and stats, the NFL seems obsessed with making this into a high scoring, offense driven game. I think they're of the mind that smashmouth defensive football is a niche interest from the old school, and in an attempt to broaden interest in the game internationally, expand the league, etc etc, they think the instant appeal lies in a beautifully thrown 60 yard bomb downfield. And I can't argue with that. My wife, not a big fan of the sport (I've tried, I know, I've tried) can easily appreciate the skill and athleticism it takes for Doug to snatch a ball one handed out of mid-air. But when Mebane turns into a human wall and stuffs a back on 3rd and 1 and I go crazy, she doesn't get it. Defense is about stops, about minutia that the lay-person just doesn't appreciate.

If I may, offense is the indoctrination, the cheap whiskey and coke you drank in college because you didn't know better. Defense is the subtleties, the 21 year old scotch that shows you what can really come with time and effort.

CEHawk

Reaction score
PC addressed this and said the Refs were at our practice and that our guys were doing really well at adhering to the new rules. Said that he didn't think it was an issue for us.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think there will be a definite impact, but what will be telling is if it helps our offense as well.

My guess is that in these preseason games, we will see Refs be so nitpicky about it that the forum will freak out. It remains to be seen if that emphasis transfers to the regular season. It did last time this was a point of emphasis for the NFL.

Anthony!

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":13j5zasv said:
oasis":13j5zasv said:

Also a good point - with our receivers (Percy, Doug and Richardson especially), this does benefit our (and all) offenses - luckily offenses are scared of Kam and Earl is a missle - along with our shutdown Sherm and Lord Byron.

It benefits us as long as we are willing to take advantage. PC would have to commit to throwing more, and he might not be willing to do this.

Polaris

Reaction score
Do I think the Seahawks are being targeted?

Probably. I see the situation in very much the same light as when Bill Polian of the Colts complained that the Patriots were constantly holding during their first superbowl run, and the league responded in a similiar way. Naturally the league will deny this, but the national meme is that "the reason the Legion of Boom is so good is because they hold on every play knowing the refs won't call it all". Before everyone explodes, yes I know it's nonsense, but it is what NFL nation as a whole believes.

Do I think it will make a difference? [Am I worried?]

No [and not particularly]. The fact is the big reason the Legion of Boom is so good is because they study and use good, solid, and yes physical, but LEGAL technique. We're already seeing that as the rules change, the Legion of Boom will adjust to stay within those rules (albeit sometimes just within). Does that mean they'll get called more for defensive holding and PI? Sure....but so will everyone else.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
It is a little sadly, funnily ironic that for months after the Super Bowl, NFL Network is all "Welp, looks like defense really does win championships, derpa derp..." and then the League Office comes along like "yeaaaahhhh.... but... we kinda totally did not enjoy seeing the best offense ever get newspaper-swatted on the nose like a dog that pooped on the living room rug, ya know?" :lol:

I'd bet that the refs get the point across in the preseason, then make more rational calls when the real games start. If they try to go hard core with the flag-football route, there will be noise from fans, writers, broadcasters, players, and coaches to chill on the nit-picky penalties.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
NFL just can't stand the idea of manning not winning one more ring before he retires.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":29r7yxds said:
When the new rules emphasis was first brought up a month ago, one of the reps tweeted that not a single Seahawks play was in the example video of things to look for. Or boys are already doing things correctly. Nothing to see here.
That's because they were trying to cover their butts. They knew they were targeting the Hawks, but don't want to come right out and say so, so they gathered up enough evidence, easily available in the NFL, that didn't include the Hawks so they could avert the claims of bias they knew they would be hit with.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rules are the same for everyone. Pete has said that he constantly preaches to the guys (and I've heard guys like Kam and Sherm repeat it often) to play hard, hit hard, be agressive, but within the rules. The league announces what they are emphasizing before the pre season so teams can work on anything they may need to work on.

Also, let's not forget, that Offensive pass interference will also be called better if they are emphasizing the way they say they are, and I recall numerous occasions where that could have benefited our defense.

it all evens out in the long run, and if we are as talented as I believe we are, then it's of no concern to me, because the best team will still win the majority of the games.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think it will effect other teams more than us. Perhaps these rule emphasis changes are targeted at the (false) narrative that the LOB is successful because they illegally hold/clutch/grab more than other secondaries. However, the LOB is successful because they are just better than other secondaries at identifying times when down field contact is legal, like when the opposing QB is out of the pocket but hasn't thrown yet. If the refs start fairly throwing more flags for truly illegal contact, it will disproportionately effect less skilled secondaries who don't have as good of a read on the ball. It will really clog up the game too. If the refs go this route, it won't be long before everyone is clamoring for them to stop and let the players play.

There will inevitably be a few defensive PI calls against the LOB this year, and there will inevitably be a few folks in a douche canoe who will continue to point to these instances as proof that the LOB is only successful because of illegal maneuvers. Aaaand there will be the tin foil types who will point to these instances as evidence that the league has it out for us and is targeting the LOB. :1:

- bsd

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawknballs":mbmtw0ah said:
NFL just can't stand the idea of manning not winning one more ring before he retires.

Mannining is a bad example imo. He completed a ton of (short) passes, our guys just know how to tackle. SF, SEA, PHI, ATL, IND, etc. will benefit from this because they utilize the deep ball and some of those receivers are going to make a guy want to reach out and grab some jersey.