My Impressions

Hawks46

Reaction score
I know it's preseason game 1, so don't think there is any overreaction here.

We're going to lead the league in dumbassed penalties. Seriously, a taunting penalty on a freaking touchback? 5 offsides penalties. Ridiculous.

Rush defense was terrible. I know, I know, most of our starters didn't play, but our LBers run fits were terrible.

I won't call out the OL because we were missing starters there as well, but our push in the rush game was attrocious.

Richardson is doing to be damned good. DB's are VERY scared of this guy's speed. He owns comebacks and slants, and he has a lot more agility side to side than I thought he would. I am very excited to see this guy play.

I have been a Turbin supporter for a while, but he just doesn't have any agility. He's fast in a straight line, but that's it. I see CMike taking his job by the end of the season, if he can figure out how to pass protect. And it's not by chop blocking a guy.

Cmike looked pretty decent other than that.

Maxwell needs to clean up his game. I thought he had room to improve, but honestly, he looks like he's at his ceiling at this point. He gets beat easily by comeback routes and wasn't able to stop the slant inside.

Funny, but even in the preseason....no one tests Richard Sherman. No one.

Marsh looks good. I don't care if he was tearing up 2nd and 3rd string guys, he was doing damage inside, weighing 265 lbs.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Simon got ejected but he looked like a beast out there. He threw a RB headfirst into the turf, almost picking up up and tossing him. He might live next door to that dark place that Kam talks about. That guy is a beast.

Richardson looks smooth. Not just fast, but agile and sneaky. That guy was money considering the chances he was given.

Marsh looked good, though he let himself be shook off by a QB that runs slower than a 3 legged boxer.

Turbin looked average. I think the guy is versatile but clearly a backup, one that is decent at pass protect but no little threat offensively.

Not sure I saw much of Mayowa that really stood out, which is disappointing considering the hope that he could replace Clemons.

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Hawks46":2eomouv2 said:

We're going to lead the league in dumbassed penalties. Seriously, a taunting penalty on a freaking touchback? 5 offsides penalties. Ridiculous.

Rush defense was terrible. I know, I know, most of our starters didn't play, but our LBers run fits were terrible.

I won't call out the OL because we were missing starters there as well, but our push in the rush game was attrocious.

Richardson is doing to be damned good. DB's are VERY scared of this guy's speed. He owns comebacks and slants, and he has a lot more agility side to side than I thought he would. I am very excited to see this guy play.

I have been a Turbin supporter for a while, but he just doesn't have any agility. He's fast in a straight line, but that's it. I see CMike taking his job by the end of the season, if he can figure out how to pass protect. And it's not by chop blocking a guy.

Maxwell needs to clean up his game. I thought he had room to improve, but honestly, he looks like he's at his ceiling at this point. He gets beat easily by comeback routes and wasn't able to stop the slant inside.

Marsh looks good. I don't care if he was tearing up 2nd and 3rd string guys, he was doing damage inside, weighing 265 lbs.

No Coyle T-bag? Shame on you.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else notice but the Broncos 1st string D was really trying to hurt our guys. The uncalled facemask on one of our player, the hard hit on Wilson and even the called facemask on Wilson. They were out to be extra physical on a preseason game, they still mad bro!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I didn't notice any of our starters getting injured....and that's about all I really care about.

kpak76

Reaction score
They had Thomas on Max pretty much most of the time so yea he looked average. I think he is going to be ok, and if not Simon can push him for his job as all signs point to him being a good one also. Dumb penalty by him though.

Also this new contact rule looks like its going to favor our passing game more than hurt our pass defense. The way Russell extends plays makes it hard for the opposing DB's to not grab. At times it looks like Russell exploited those rules.

Looks like we are very stacked in the QB position. T-Jack is one of the top back-ups and Pryor looked better than him today. That last pick wasn't a great pass but if anything we can keep him for the scout team to simulate what Kaep is going to do. He actually looks very much like Kaep and has some of the same faults as him.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I'll add my two cents to this. Just initial impressions so when I re-watch I reserve the right to change them.

I felt there was a little lack of intensity from the Hawks today. Not the same energy as last year, though that could my being jaded from the result of last year. And just a general sloppiness, though that's to be expected.

We got handled in the trenches today. Something to take with a grain of salt for a number of reasons but we did. I won't fault Britt for getting beat by Ware, though he got beat by Jackson as well when Seattle was in the Redzone. Van Roten looked horrible. 3rd String nothing. Got blown up numerous times and plenty of times where he just didn't engage and looked lost.

Mayowa still doesn't look to play with power, which is a concern, though I focused on him more early when he was going up against Clady. Not a fair gauge to measure him against. Brooks looked to get blown up alot today, which was disheartening and overall we do not have the same depth we had last year.

I have a hard time judging our RBs when we were getting so blown up in the trenches and I'm not going to call the Richardson hype train just yet. Roby is a raw rookie and was playing him way off. He did some nice things but nothing that made me more excited than I was.

And I was honestly impressed with the Broncos. Their D looks much improved from the SB just in the way they swarm to the ball now. Much better tackling.

Finally... The Refs were so painfully bad... PAINFUL!

2_0_6

Reaction score
Turbin was a disappointment. Granted he was running behind a patchwork O-line, but for a guy of his size he sure goes down easy.

kpak76

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":nveufbpb said:
Hawks46":nveufbpb said:

No Coyle T-bag? Shame on you.

Oh, Coyle did look really good out there. I think we keep him over Farwell.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1ynzms2h said:
I don't know if anyone else notice but the Broncos 1st string D was really trying to hurt our guys. The uncalled facemask on one of our player, the hard hit on Wilson and even the called facemask on Wilson. They were out to be extra physical on a preseason game, they still mad bro!

Unquestionably the Broncos wanted to prove to their fans that they too could match our physicality. The Seahawks never had any plans to do anything more than just play a preseason game. Delusional Broncos fans will no doubt try to use this game as evidence that they won't get pushed around by the Seahawks again but let's just see how well they fare come September when the games count IN OUR HOUSE.

Put ALL of our #1s against their #1s and it will be a similar story as the one that played out on 2/2/2014.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The only 2 players that impressed me were Coyle and Marsh. Other then that, not much........

kpak76

Reaction score
Yxes1122":2vxyyp6z said:
I'll add my two cents to this. Just initial impressions so when I re-watch I reserve the right to change them.

I felt there was a little lack of intensity from the Hawks today. Not the same energy as last year, though that could my being jaded from the result of last year. And just a general sloppiness, though that's to be expected.

We got handled in the trenches today. Something to take with a grain of salt for a number of reasons but we did. I won't fault Britt for getting beat by Ware, though he got beat by Jackson as well when Seattle was in the Redzone. Van Roten looked horrible. 3rd String nothing. Got blown up numerous times and plenty of times where he just didn't engage and looked lost.

Mayowa still doesn't look to play with power, which is a concern, though I focused on him more early when he was going up against Clady. Not a fair gauge to measure him against. Brooks looked to get blown up alot today, which was disheartening and overall we do not have the same depth we had last year.

I have a hard time judging our RBs when we were getting so blown up in the trenches and I'm not going to call the Richardson hype train just yet. Roby is a raw rookie and was playing him way off. He did some nice things but nothing that made me more excited than I was.

And I was honestly impressed with the Broncos. Their D looks much improved from the SB just in the way they swarm to the ball now. Much better tackling.

Finally... The Refs were so painfully bad... PAINFUL!

The penalties did make it hard to watch.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was disappointed with Mayowa and Michael Brooks. I expected more from them but they seemed sluggish and showed a lack of concentration.

I hope Pete penalizes Tharold, that was just plain stupid and he already has a history for mouthing off. I could see it if someone would have gone at his knees or something, but he just started punching, stupid.

Was it Lane that got the taunting penalty? Penalty box for him too if it was. Once a team gets a reputation for cheap penalties, the referees start looking for it and we've lost enough games to referees already. Protect the team, stop being selfish.

I thought Marsh was "okay" and Jackson Jeffcoat looked terrible. He didn't set the edge and he should have at least disengaged and made the tackle but I saw no effort to do so. It was like he had no clue where the runner was.

Bronson is an interesting runner and I hope we get to see him against some 1st stringers.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Aros":ze4jq630 said:
theincrediblesok":ze4jq630 said:

Unquestionably the Broncos wanted to prove to their fans that they too could match our physicality. The Seahawks never had any plans to do anything more than just play a preseason game. Delusional Broncos fans will no doubt try to use this game as evidence that they won't get pushed around by the Seahawks again but let's just see how well they fare come September when the games count IN OUR HOUSE.

Put ALL of our #1s against their #1s and it will be a similar story as the one that played out on 2/2/2014.

I can't wait for this. The Broncos' rookies are lucky that they haven't been introduced to Kam yet, might end your season before it even starts.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I got the impression Seattle played to get the game out of the way and took a look at their players. I'm not reading much into the game other than that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I've only just started watching this game, but wow, can we stop pretending that Maxwell could step in for Sherman as CB1? Manning and Thomas are carving him up. Not saying the sky is falling on Maxwell, but he is clearly going to need help against elite QB/WR combos.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Also, the penalties seem to be the NFL referees experimenting. Once the season starts, the good crews will still let the game flow and Ron Winters will still suck.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I thought Maxwell looked terrible tonight. We had some stupid penalties. More rookies stood out with some pretty solid play than I would have thought. Pryor looked much better than I anticipated. Rule changes are going to give most teams fits. the loss doesnt bother me at all. The funniest thing will be that the Donkey's fan base will use this as proof they are destined to win the SB this year.

Tokadub

Reaction score
My first impressions:

Not trolling here, I don't sugar coat my analysis and these are my first impressions of the game.

1) O-Line looks just as bad as I expected they would with both pass blocking, run blocking, and penalties.

Our QB's got sacked 3 times for 17 yards. Wilson and Pryor were running for their lives on nearly every passing play.

Our O-Line appeared to be unable to stop guys even when they had the double team advantage.

2) Our run game was terrible, I'm gonna put most the blame on our O-Line run blocking.

We ran the ball 29 times for a pathetic 3.2 yards per rush.

Turbin is terrible always has been... in this game he had 4 carries for 5 yards, 1.3 yards per carry.

Christine Michael looked pretty much twice as fast as Turbin but he ran the ball 7 times for only 16 yards, 2.3 yards per carry.

Was not a good sign for our two Running Backs that hope to eventually fill Lynch's shoes. It seems like only Lynch can make something out of nothing with our attrocious O-Line and bust through the defenses. Turbin will trip over his own feet, Christine Michael prefers to run off towards the sideline, this game really showed why we still need Lynch.

3) Passing game was pretty bad but not horrible. However we had no passing Touch Downs. Our only Touch Down was a 1 yard run by Christine Michael, and then we had 3 Hauschka Field Goals. It would of been nice to see at least one reciever and QB connect for a Touch Down.

I knew we were gonna lose the game when we had Pryor in there for the final drive. Ironically this turned out to be his best drive up until the interception. It's really not his fault though Bronson should of caught the previous play for a touchdown. Not sure why Pryor is even in there, I just don't think he has the decision making to protect the ball which is the main focus of our offensive philosophy. Feels like wasted practice for TJack but that's just my opinion.

QB Passer Ratings:

TJack: 89.6
Wilson: 83.3
Pryor: 58.6

Richardson led the team with 4 receptions for 37 yards. Lockette had 2 for 35 yards. Christine Michael had 3 for 12 yards. No other receiver had more than 1 reception which is disappointing when trying to evaluate talent.

4) Our defense looked pretty bad. Their Running Back Thompson had 6 carries for 59 yards for a 9.8 average. I think that was the guy who had multiple huge plays called back on holding penalties as well. In comparison our longest run was just 9 yards by Pryor...

Denver averaged a respectable 4.5 yards per carry, but they were over 5 yards per carry before garbage time if I'm not mistaken.

We had only 1 sack for a 5 yard loss, a bit disappointing to not see more production when they have 2 statues back there.

We also did not win the turnover battle which is our team's strength, it was tied 1-1 with Jefferson's interception.

5) With all that negativity being said, it was still a close game which we should have won if not for Bronson's ridiculous drop when he was wide open for a touch down.

We had 22 first downs compared to Denver's 18. And we won the possession war, holding onto the ball for 31:19 compared to Denver's 28:41.

We also had more total yards 298 compared to Denver's 274.

So we really should of won this game, but man was it UGLY.

Seahawks had 13 penalties for 131 yards.
Denver had 12 penalties for 95 yards.

6) Our entire team looked flat all around, nobody seemed to have that usual fiery spark or competitive edge that we've come to expect. Hopefully this loss will wake everyone up. I know this is just pre-season game 1, and we played many backups and guys who won't even make the team... but our team just didn't look the same as last season's to me, not even close. Where was the energy? They looked really flat as a whole.

Final Thoughts:

Very disappointing first game, nothing really to get excited about except that Richardson and Coyle looked good. Coyle seems to have great anticipation to always find the right spot for his tackles.

We didn't get to see Earl Thomas get a real chance to showcase his punt return skills, he caught the ball but got tackled right away for no gain.

Harvin didn't even play at all? I guess the coaches understand how fragile he is since it seems like they played every other receiver who was healthy?

And for the Tokadub Haters: Bennett looked pretty bad thus far but he obviously didn't have enough snaps to make much of an impact.

Bennett had 2 penalties in 1st quarter:

(8:52) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on SEA-M.Bennett, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 40 - No Play.

(4:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Hillman right guard to DEN 25 for -48 yards (R.Sherman). Penalty on DEN-C.Clark, Offensive Holding, offsetting, enforced at SEA 27 - No Play. Penalty on SEA-M.Bennett, Illegal Use of Hands, offsetting.

Otherwise Bennett didn't do anything according to ESPN box score, not even one tackle. He did have one fairly nice pressure that I saw but he got knocked down and grabbed QB foot, unfortunately the QB had already thrown the ball by that point.

All stats from:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554711

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tokadub:

Chill, man. We started the game with our 2nd string O-line. Obviously, pass pro and run game aren't going to be there. No Kam, no Wags, no Smitty, no Irvin on D. You're drawing too many broad conclusions based on these games. Best thing to do during these games is look at individual players, not make broad statements about entire units.