PFF grades our RTs

hawknation2014

Reaction score
"Against the Broncos the offensive line gave up a fair bit of pressure, but even when the pass was released quickly multiple defenders beat their man consistently. The issue at right tackle looks to be a troubling development if Justin Britt (-2.0) or Eric Winston (-1.6) do not show considerable improvement going forward."

They also think O’Brien Schofield (four pressures on 17 passing snaps) was the game's biggest standout for either team.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ason-wk-1/

Mick063

Reaction score
Schofield would start for a handful of teams.

The Giants really screwed the pooch on releasing him. Really dumb move in my opinion.

I could understand the Cardinals with their great depth at linebacker (at the time), but not the Giants.

I have always been impressed with Schofield's play. From the first time I saw him at Arizona.

He seems to always show up.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Schofield was as impressive as Mayowa was underwhelming. Not sure he was worth the $8 million the Giants offered him, given his injury history, but I'm very happy to have him back this year. He could find a role as the starter in the nickel package if they flip Avril to the strong side as they did last year in those situations. It was tough watching Chris Clemons dominate for the Jaguars on those few snaps in their game. He looks like a man on a mission after getting the boot. Clemons will be missed and we need Schofield to have a healthy, productive season.

Honestly, I'm feeling pretty down about the situation at RT. I was counting on Michael Bowie to get healthy and round himself into shape. Now that he's gone, the remaining options are not very palatable. Bailey's weakness as a run blocker probably precludes him from getting an opportunity at RT, as Cable prefers a strong run blocker there. Winston's run blocking leaves a lot to be desired. And Britt looks far away from being a competent starter. We won a Super Bowl with less than decent offensive line play last year, so this is not the end of the world. Just disappointing that we may see even more drop off at the RT position.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
brimsalabim":skcvzh6u said:
At this late point we need to trade for a RT.

Maybe it's just me but I really can't see that happening. OT is a coveted position, and we would probably have to give up more than Carroll/Schneider would want to give up for a competent starter. I think they go with Eric Winston just to tread water at the position to stay afloat, and maybe platoon it with Britt, hoping that Britt will develop as the season progresses. Winston's revival, and developing Britt as the future of the position, has to be Plan A.

jdblack

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1hajvus4 said:
brimsalabim":1hajvus4 said:
At this late point we need to trade for a RT.

Maybe it's just me but I really can't see that happening. OT is a coveted position, and we would probably have to give up more than Carroll/Schneider would want to give up for a competent starter. I think they go with Eric Winston just to tread water at the position to stay afloat, and maybe platoon it with Britt, hoping that Britt will develop as the season progresses. Winston's revival, and developing Britt as the future of the position, has to be Plan A.

I think if Britt & Winston are close then they'll give Britt the start for the extra upside (potential) that comes with youth.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could we get a RT for Pryor? My concern in starting Britt is that LT isn't all that solid either. Considering his condition it is a certainty that Okung will miss some time. We need experience on at least one side of the line don't we?

Mase

Reaction score
-- How about instead of panicking a searching for a trade after one preseason game, and for that matter after four preseason games, we just try something much more tried and true. COACHING. That is what this team does. How many people witnessed Sherman's first preseason game or two and thought, wow, hope he doesn't need to see the field. Maybe we should have quit on Wags when he kept missing assignments his first year. It's not like he turned into a good MLB or anything.

-- Look, we all get nervous watching our oline. They are limited, but we have clearly made a decision to spend our money elsewhere, and allow the excellent coaching we get from Cable and staff to get the most out of our line. Give them a chance, that was literally the kids first live bullets outside of camp.

Mase

brimsalabim

Reaction score
BR has a story from practice that LJP has moved to guard and that Schiilling is practicing at first team center. What do we take from that? To my untrained eye it looked like LJP was solid in Ungers absence?

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
brimsalabim":17nxo1z8 said:
Could we get a RT for Pryor? My concern in starting Britt is that LT isn't all that solid either. Considering his condition it is a certainty that Okung will miss some time. We need experience on at least one side of the line don't we?

I highly doubt we can get a 1st string caliber RT for our 3rd string QB who has a 50/50 shot at making the team anyway.

McG

Reaction score
It's the first week of preseason. Everyone please get back from the ledge. A rookie and a vet, both need to get into game shape, which they will. Winston will more than likely get the nod week 1 and if Britt shows anything mid-season, he will probably be the starter (if there aren't any injury issues). It was a game on the road against a team we embarrassed in the Superbowl that clearly had something to prove. If week 4 of the preseason this is still a problem then we can freak out, but for now let it play out, that's the whole point of training camp/preseason.

chet380

Reaction score
C/S will be carefully watching the wire for OT's when the final cut-downs happen.