How's Scruggs doing?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
He hasn't flashed much yet, and was virtually invisible in the Denver game last week, but that's not atypical of players who are first returning to the field from an ACL tear and trying to round back into form both physically and mentally. It also looks like he's adjusting to his new 310-pound frame. It's gonna take awhile.

King Dog

Reaction score
Everything I've read said his effort has been off the charts, but he hasn't looked that great.

Largent80

Reaction score
I saw him get doubled a few times, and that always frees up guys like Avril, Bennett, and Bane.

Jville

Reaction score
I have only impressions to offer.

IIRC they looked to get Gregg snaps on the inside verses Denver. The coaching staff continues to work on developing the versatility they want out of him. Scruggs name does continue to be mentioned in passing during interviews. However the explosive "flash" pass rushers are the ones attracting the eye of observers. When it comes to attention from the press and fans, Gregg may very well experience something similar to what Brandon Mebane has known over his career. The good news is that Scruggs has already accepted the role of an over looked guy that delivers the very important and essential "dirty work" up front.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
He said that he gained too much weight and is trying to shed some. He is not sure what is playing weight should be yet.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
So, I've watched the game 3 times now and I thought he looked pretty damn good with the exception of one play where he was chasing the QB and he was either gassed or he's lost some strait line speed. However, I though he still had quickness that he showed on one play where he got off the double team and could have had half a sack, but I think the QB got over the line. Speaking of double teams, I saw him push a double team backwards about 2-3 yards on a pass rush. Might not sound like much, but it's significant because when guys get doubled on a pass rush they usually abandon it and try to maintain a lane while possibly trying to bat a ball down. Most players don't have the strength to even mess with a double team on a pass rush.

In short, I think I would like to see him get down to 300 even and I think he'll inevitably do that. He obviously spent a lot of time in the weight room, but DL don't often do enough cardio and I bet he didn't. By the end of training camp he should be closer to that weight while also have more endurance.

Many people don't have very good things to say about this last game because he didn't flash or show up on the stat sheet, but I paid for that preseason live deal and they have this 10 second rewind button. I made a point to watch many players that included Scruggs and I thought he did well.

Jville

Reaction score
Good man. Smart man. Goes to bed at 9:30

What a passionate testament to the value of football.

It is indeed a must listen.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jville":108cypxj said:
Good man. Smart man. Goes to bed at 9:30

What a passionate testament to the value of football.

It is indeed a must listen.

Reminds me of Ray Lewis crossed with Doug Baldwin in an interview.

sutz

Reaction score
I try real hard not to judge pass rush in the pre-season. Even run defense is questionable IMHO. I really think they save the 'good stuff' for the regular season, so we never really see all of the blitz packages in the pre.

Hopefully, this applies to Scruggs, and while he's getting reps now, the good stuff will come Sept 4 and thereafter. ;)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1oxqw7t5 said:
He had an interview on KJR yesterday.

This is must listen stuff:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/onair/the ... -12668134/

Holy Crap! I have been a Gregg Scruggs fan since he got here but now I have the utmost respect for that young man! What passion! And dude is smart and mature!

Go Gregg Scruggs! :th2thumbs:

Edit: I think that Denver field was such crap that it slowed down our fast, powerful players. I think they did it intentionally too.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Scruggs has looked a little sluggish, not real quick off the ball, and not active with his hands at all. Hope he bounces back to his rookie form.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ss2hr07 said:
Edit: I think that Denver field was such crap that it slowed down our fast, powerful players. I think they did it intentionally too.

We're going to find out tomorrow night! I think that you will see an inspired Hawks team out there!

Jville

Reaction score
That field last Thursday was treacherous and slow.

Tomorrow the field will be 1st class and fast.

Go Hawks!