The "emphasis" on illegal contact is going to make us...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
... scream.

Many times.

Tharold Simon was absolutely robbed of a pick 6 tonight. I mean, he could not have played that pass any better than he did. I watched it with my very eyes all the way from section 314 (thanks Barthawk for the KILLER seats btw) ..

If the refs call games like this when the games count.. my god.

Aside from that, all in all, much better performance tonight than last week obviously.. but man.. these phantom illegal contact calls are a joke.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
They fine players for making really dumb plays.
I think that if they fine the Ref's for making those shit covered calls, there'd be a lot less of them being made.
Simon was getting praise on the sideline for that really great play.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think if that had been Percy and their guy picked it and took it back, we would be clamoring for the flag too.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":2omp7dh0 said:
I think if that had been Percy and their guy picked it and took it back, we would be clamoring for the flag too.

While realistically knowing that such a flag was a joke.

Seriously.. what is Simon supposed to do here? Please tell me.

Illegalcontact0

Smellyman

Reaction score
they will call it more in the preseason.

One good thing is...Simon just may be pretty darn good

nanomoz

Reaction score
Simon had a hand on the receiver, and initiated it, after five yards. It's ticky tack, even marginal, but the NFL would probably prefer that this is always called.

It sucks. I hate it. I don't think the contact altered the outcome of the play. League-record scoring last year, but it's not enough for league brass, apparently.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Actually, it wasn't beyond five yards. Watch the play closely. That was legal, even with the new rules. Bad call.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The first problem is that "contact" is by nature necessary.

For a defender to be looking toward the ball (to avoid the PI) the defender needs to reach back and be able to feel for the receiver behind him so he can locate the receiver vs the ball.

So how is it materially different when you touch the receiver in front, if you do not alter the route?

The funniest part of this is that with guys like Baldwin and Harvin - the very thing everyone thinks will sting us will probably benefit us. People won't be able to brush guys like Harvin and Richardson to slow them down or screw up their timing. But it still is crap football.

The other area it is crap is that now the play can be called two entirely different ways in the same game and it still is "correct". This makes it much easier for the subjective assessments (and biases) of the refs to literally swing games.

What if we play the 49ers and they continually call any contact on our side but then allow them to defend like everyone could last year. Would that swing a game with teams so evenly matched? Likely. So it once again hammers the credibility of the league because whether we benefit or are punished by this there will be a valid perception that the game was handed to one team. Like an entire season where every game was SB XL.

And it will turn a game into a muddied disaster, a flurry of flags removing any continuity.

I think the league is juicing the baseball, shooting for the HRs and this is the result.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think pi is the better call there. It is borderline 5 yards but the flag comes out once the ball is thrown.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
This rule is to help the Golden boy get another Super Bowl championship to help his legacy

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
nanomoz":3jg0kmt8 said:
Simon had a hand on the receiver, and initiated it, after five yards. It's ticky tack, even marginal, but the NFL would probably prefer that this is always called.

It sucks. I hate it. I don't think the contact altered the outcome of the play. League-record scoring last year, but it's not enough for league brass, apparently.

LOS was the 5 yard line and he released contact at the 1.

Also couldn't have been PI because he released contact before th ball passed the LOS.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
It's gonna make football practically unwatchable if those plays are penalties.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":21xtwln8 said:
I think pi is the better call there. It is borderline 5 yards but the flag comes out once the ball is thrown.

He starts to bring his arm down around the same time the ball is thrown too, so it's borderline in that area as well.

There is no grab, no diverting the route. He merely touched the WR for like a second to maintain his bearing, and this happened within 5 yards as well.

I think that if we're going to call penalties for just touching a WR no matter how minor, the league is going to have opened a big can of worms.

There was a similarly shitty call against San Diego that helped Seattle score a TD in the first half. The new emphasis contributed to at least two offensive TDs being scored (and robbed a defense of a score). Welcome to the golden age of QBs and WRs in fantasy football.

tooshort

Reaction score
I sit in section 124 fourth row (right behind where this happened) and it was correctly called.

From my vantage point it was an obvious grab and hold at the waist for a split second allowing a transfer of weight to the left shoulder and the subsequent pick.

As much as most 12s in the area hated to say it, we begrudgingly saw it the refs way.. :pukeface:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ypw4o1i said:
Tical21":1ypw4o1i said:

Illegalcontact0
You know Tcal can't resist playing devil's advocate. It's what he doooo! [emoji6]

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
tooshort":mwyr75vd said:
I sit in section 124 fourth row (right behind where this happened) and it was correctly called.

From my vantage point it was an obvious grab and hold at the waist for a split second allowing a transfer of weight to the left shoulder and the subsequent pick.

As much as most 12s in the area hated to say it, we begrudgingly saw it the refs way.. :pukeface:

You are all wrong.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1u7c6fhq said:
The first problem is that "contact" is by nature necessary.

For a defender to be looking toward the ball (to avoid the PI) the defender needs to reach back and be able to feel for the receiver behind him so he can locate the receiver vs the ball.

So how is it materially different when you touch the receiver in front, if you do not alter the route?

The funniest part of this is that with guys like Baldwin and Harvin - the very thing everyone thinks will sting us will probably benefit us. People won't be able to brush guys like Harvin and Richardson to slow them down or screw up their timing. But it still is crap football.

The other area it is crap is that now the play can be called two entirely different ways in the same game and it still is "correct". This makes it much easier for the subjective assessments (and biases) of the refs to literally swing games.

What if we play the 49ers and they continually call any contact on our side but then allow them to defend like everyone could last year. Would that swing a game with teams so evenly matched? Likely. So it once again hammers the credibility of the league because whether we benefit or are punished by this there will be a valid perception that the game was handed to one team. Like an entire season where every game was SB XL.

And it will turn a game into a muddied disaster, a flurry of flags removing any continuity.

I think the league is juicing the baseball, shooting for the HRs and this is the result.
Actually Harvin will not benefit from it.

Harvin's average distance from the line of scrimmage on receptions over the last few years is less than 3 yards. I read about it a year ago and the author of the article pointed out that its HISTORICALLY LOW. As in no one else even comes close (for wrs). Harvin doesn't actually go out on routes very often except as an easily-detectable decoy.

Harvin catches at the line of scrimmage and is actually more of a runningback. If you actually pay attention to what he does on the field you would notice that he is actually a rb who simply starts the play lined up as a WR. He even takes handoffs like a rb.

Harvin can be a hell of a rb, but these new rules don't benefit him because he rarely runs real routes as a legit target.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it as hand battling till Simon looks towards the ball and then he becomes a receiver and releases from being defender to receiver. Thats the transition the refs need to understand and make the call on.

McG

Reaction score
This is why I hate "Roger Goodell's NFL". I swear there is only one reason and one reason alone he is doing this... $$$$$$.

The more penalties, the more stoppages in the game. The more stoppages in the game, the more commercials. The more commercials, the more money. They can claim they want to make the game safer, but it's about more money. They are going to lose money for all the injury settlement stuff and I really think it's crazy at this point, how much money do they need? I really wish football would have stayed a niche sport, much like baseball has become after the whole PED's issue and the lack of decent marketing of the game. That way we could have kept the game we grew up with.

I say at this point, take the pads and helmets off and give them flags. Turn all the Olympic sprinters into running backs and WRs and have "Brett Favre" (Madden voice) come out of retirement to play "all-time QB" for each team. Oh and if you fart on another player it's a 40 yd penalty with a 8 game suspension, but if you are blacked-out drunk and hit your woman they could give you the key to the city. I get I'm going over the top and obviously this isn't meant to be serious, but did you try to watch the game before Seahawks game on NFLN? Or any other game for that matter? In the Pats game, they were talking about a penalty quota. Something like 20-24 for preseason games and 13-15 for week 1 of the regular season, WTF?!? It is making me sick how they are ruining this game.

GoodellMoneyDive

McG

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":rcadyvvk said:
Tical21":rcadyvvk said:

Illegalcontact0

5 yards and he lets go, at that point the WR grabs on to him while Simon is turning to INT the ball. If that was ever called in a regular season game I'd probably stop watching for a week, just out of spite. If this is what the NFL is turning into, then I may have to spend more time watching other sports and/or playing more Xbox.

There are a ton of new, good games coming out, ironically enough starting with Madden 15 on the 26th of August, then Destiny (that Beta was epic and I hate FPS, but I pre-ordered the Limited Edition) on 9/9 and FIFA 15 at the end of September.