One quiet competition

stang233

Reaction score
I have to say the fullback competition has me intrigued. I think small has done a great job blocking and looks better than Coleman at the fullback position. he has done a nice job pass blocking as well.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I agree, I just posted something about Small in the observation thread. I think he really lays the wood and moves defenders. He does well against LB's and lineman. I did see coleman get some good blocks as well. I wish we could hear more about the FB position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
stang233":2bpwvb94 said:
I have to say the fullback competition has me intrigued. I think small has done a great job blocking and looks better than Coleman at the fullback position. he has done a nice job pass blocking as well.
:lol: Kind of gives a new meaning to the old "Cannonball Run" saying eh?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":3ttenfr5 said:
If Small doesn't make the team they may stash him on the P.S.
You think they could risk that? Either way I don't see us carrying 2 fullbacks so this cut, if there has to be one will hurt.

theascension

Reaction score
I'm really hoping he can stick on the team somehow. I loved the block he had here late in the third quarter.

5YuNvxH

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Largent80":27lxim0n said:
If Small doesn't make the team they may stash him on the P.S.

The way he has looked, I would be completely shocked if Small doesn't make the 53-man roster. The only question in my mind is how long until he starts. If Pete Carroll is serious about competition and anyone being able to win a starting job, Small has, in the two pre-season games so far, looked better than Coleman has ever looked with the Seahawks.

Kiero Small is a Mike Tolbert clone. (Tolbert , at 5'9" and 245 lbs, has been the best fullback in the league since joining Carolina two years ago)

Small's short-yardage running and blocking are both fantastic. The improvement in both should make a significant difference to the offense this year. Getting a yard and a half on third or fourth down should be almost automatc with him. When he run blocks, he hits defenders with the full force of his 250 pounds, with leverage. Defenders bounce backwards when he hits them. He broke 26 face masks at Arkansas from hitting so hard.

Like the other players in this year's draft, he is a high character, high work ethic person. Bret Bielema, his coach at Arkansas, has already invited him back to be on his staff when his playing career is over. He has, as they say, crawled a long ways on broken glass to make it here. He is as motivated and hungry as they come.

Kiero Small should be a fixture on the offense and a fan favorite for many years to come.

I don't see the Hawks exposing either Coleman or Small. Spencer Ware is on the chopping block and is less likely (but still likely) to be poached than Coleman or Small.
--

Small is one of the many *hidden* improvements on the Seahawks offense:

-Justin Britt is head and shoulders better than Bowie or Giacomini, probably the second best rookie lineman in Seahawks history -- better, I think, than Okung was.

-New and improved James Carpenter.

-Emerging star in Sweezy.

-Healthier Unger and Okung

-New veteran backups in Winston and Smith (not sure both will make the team) to go along with backups Bailey, Schilling and JeanPierre

-Harvin back to his MVP-candidate self (or better)

-Paul Richardson could be the most dangerous deep threat in the league - and he can do shorter routes too.

-Emerging stars in Kearse and Baldwin (Surprisingly, I actually like Kearse's potential more than Baldwin's.)

-Potentially excellent depth at receiver -- not with Lockette, Bates or Walters, who will always be below-average, very marginal NFL receivers; but hopefully, with a healthy Norwood and the possibility of a healed, rested and still fairly young Sidney Rice coming out of retirement if there are injury problems at receiver.

-Much improved Russell Wilson -- even better vision, even better decision making, even better accuracy. (I don't think he will continue to overthrow the first two passes of every game.)

-Much improved short yardage runnng from Small.

-Incredble run blocking from Small, to go along with by far the best offensive line in the Pete Carroll era and the best blocking tight end in the league and receivers who can now stretch defenses both vertically and horizontally.

My only concern for the offense is at backup running back if Lynch gets hurt, although Michael, for the first time, started to show a llittle bit of promise yesterday. Everything else is so improved, we can probably live with Turbin and Michael if we had to.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
In the end, I believe the FB's will be Small and Coleman...the odd man out is Spencer Ware. Maybe they can sneak Ware on the PS.

chris98251

Reaction score
Small will get snagged, Jags are looking for a FB and just picked up a released one, Bradley knows how we pick up players and if Small continues to excel in his snaps he won't go unnoticed by a trained eye.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":2rd249zs said:
Small will get snagged, Jags are looking for a FB and just picked up a released one, Bradley knows how we pick up players and if Small continues to excel in his snaps he won't go unnoticed by a trained eye.

Frankly, I'm hoping most of the players we cut get claimed by the Jags.

If Seahawks keep 3 QBs, I hope its the Jags that take Pryor/Daniels. Mainly to play keep away from the 49ers.

If it comes down to Small, I hope the Jags claim Coleman. Hopefully, not Ware too, if he doesn't make it because he's practice squad eligible.

If Croyle makes the team over Farwell, I hope the Jags claim him.

So forth and so forth.

Jags are kind of my AFC favorite ever since the Seahawks changed Conferences and my 2nd team could no longer be the Rams.

So it was exciting that Bradley went there and its kind of also awesome seeing our ex-players finding a home there as well. I think the Jags could surprise some people this year as a tough, gritty team.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
theascension":hvwa8p0v said:
I'm really hoping he can stick on the team somehow. I loved the block he had here late in the third quarter.

5YuNvxH

Nice clip. I didn't notice that in watching or re-watching the game. :snack:

nanomoz

Reaction score
theascension":2fsdkyhh said:

5YuNvxH

If I was a hermaphrodite, this would make me both wet and hard. I love wicked lead blocks. Small must make this team.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
IMO Small is the eventual starter. Coleman is still more desirable to us at fullback but Ware has more value to other teams and won't make it to our practice squad. He was rumored to be a top running back choice on another NFL team's draft board.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3kjct7li said:
IMO Small is the eventual starter. Coleman is still more desirable to us at fullback but Ware has more value to other teams and won't make it to our practice squad. He was rumored to be a top running back choice on another NFL team's draft board.

I find that impossible to believe, can you provide a link or source? If that was true that team would have drafted him instead of having him fall to the 6th round. He is simply not that good, he's been pimped by a few here and others seem to have latched onto that belief. He wasn't elite in college...just average, and he's a below average NFL player. I doubt he makes the team.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
stang233":1qfqn0kg said:

Every competition for Coleman is a quiet one. Absolutely amazing that he is playing at the highest level of football with his disability. I cannot imagine trying to pick up defenders coming in from just beyond one's line of sight when sight is all you have to rely on. Can't hear feet pounding, grunts, pads, etc coming from the sides. Has to limit his ability to react somewhat.

Great, great story with this kid. I'm rooting for him.