Did we expose too much to the Chargers?

Polk738

Reaction score
So I was bored and hopped on a Chargers forum to see what the other fan base had to say about the game, it seemed to be several pages of the same things, defense is bad, can't tackle, kellen clemmons is much improved. A few people noted that we played our starters the entire first half and exposed a lot of our offensive and defensive stunts. Not sure if this is true but it does make for interesting conversation. What do you guys think, did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Our starters minus Wags, Kam, Bennett, Okung, Unger and Beast.
Naw, we are just that good. lol

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Polk738":3aqlqsl8 said:
So I was bored and hopped on a Chargers forum to see what the other fan base had to say about the game, it seemed to be several pages of the same things, defense is bad, can't tackle, kellen clemmons is much improved. A few people noted that we played our starters the entire first half and exposed a lot of our offensive and defensive stunts. Not sure if this is true but it does make for interesting conversation. What do you guys think, did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

In general, this kind of thing is incredibly overrated in the NFL. The vast majority of time, players performance and not scheme and tactics dictate outcome.

I thought we were very conservative and basic.

I'd say the comments from Chargers fans fall mostly along the lines of "wishful thinking".

Seafan

Reaction score
Three stud defensive starters as well as 3 pro bowl starters on offense (Okung, Unger didn't play) were MIA.

I think those six will likely have some impact on the rematch in SoCal.

The Chargers didn't see anything special last night.

Mick063

Reaction score
I had to laugh at the Charger's forums.

"Our 2-3's verse their 1's."

Hell, Cam Chancellor, Marshawn Lynch, Bobby Wagner, Malcom Smith, Michael Bennett, Russell Okung, and Max Unger did not play a single down. Four pro bowlers and a Super bowl MVP and that isn't counting Bennett or Wagner. They didn't get a true glimpse of our "1's".

"Seattle revealed their game plan"

Cripes. Prior to the Super Bowl, Manning didn't have much to study because Seattle doesn't use much trickery. What you see on film is what your are going to get. Seattle beats you with speed and physicality. It is why Carroll initially defined Lynch as the face of the franchise. Every team they face knows what they are going to do. What opponents see in preseason is what they will see in the regular season and what they will see in the post season. No gimmicks. This team is "Vanilla" year round. Just a crazy fast, sure tackling defense, a bruising running back, and a quarterback that extends plays. Simple really. Line up and beat us.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The only Chargers offensive starter that didn't play the whole first half was Rivers I believe. I mean, yes.. the drop off from Rivers to Clemens is definitely steep.. but it's not like they were trotting out the scout team either.

As for the film.. lulz. There are 19 games Mike McCoy can look at from last year.

kearly

Reaction score
Some of their "backups" on offense are actually pretty good. Ladarius Green is probably the best backup TE in the league, and Danny Woodhead is a terrific RB in their system. Kellen Clemens has moments where he looks starter caliber (Friday being one of them).

Smellyman

Reaction score
yup, so many starters did not play and a lot of backups didn't either. 15 dnp's?

when you get your butt kicked you hope it is because they pulled out all the stops.. SD just not as good. Hawks played very vanilla.

good luck against the NFC west San Diego.

WheatHawk

Reaction score
Polk738":2554njeg said:
... did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

Yes.

Last night was a case study in overcompensation. Coach, his staff, the players, and too many fans took getting beat by Denver last week way too seriously. It's Preseason week 2, not the Super Bowl. The starters should have been pulled after the 2nd series. Instead, Carroll risked injuries playing them against almost entirely scrubs playing for practice and to secure roster spots. Not smart.

Coach McCoy is an extremely smart guy. He treated last night like what it was: a scrimmage. Anyone who thinks he won't take advantage of all that tape handed to him is fooling themselves.

Smellyman

Reaction score
WheatHawk":2j5vazk7 said:
Polk738":2j5vazk7 said:

Yes.

Last night was a case study in overcompensation. Coach, his staff, the players, and too many fans took getting beat by Denver last week way too seriously. It's Preseason week 2, not the Super Bowl. The starters should have been pulled after the 2nd series. Instead, Carroll risked injuries playing them against almost entirely scrubs playing for practice and to secure roster spots. Not smart.

Coach McCoy is an extremely smart guy. He treated last night like what it was: a scrimmage. Anyone who thinks he won't take advantage of all that tape handed to him is fooling themselves.

HA. nice first post

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
WheatHawk":256wr9nq said:
Polk738":256wr9nq said:

Yes.

You're trolling I assume?

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
If the Chargers could figure out how to cover a TE in the flat or down the seam, the Hawks might not have throttled them so bad. That's basic stuff. Nothing complicated. The real problem with the Chargers is they're just bad on D. Very little talent from the starters to the reserves. McCoy might be smart, but he hasn't even started to fix that side of the ball.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1x5ltou9 said:
WheatHawk":1x5ltou9 said:
Polk738":1x5ltou9 said:

Yes.

Definitely a Chargers fan.

Which is weird, because I thought they didn't exist.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Lynch played a little although I do not recall him running the ball.
Also we don't seem to have a lot of wrinkles to hide. We kind of do our thing. They did get to see the Percy bubble screen from the read option and now they have a few weeks to worry about how to cover him, stop Lynch and still contain Russell rolling the other way. Good luck with that.

Largent80

Reaction score
I will be at the game against them that counts, and I am expecting the Chargers to be exposed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
WheatHawk":16wf7hfx said:
Polk738":16wf7hfx said:

Yes.

I think that IF Coach McCoy is as smart as you say, he will think about upgrading his own system, because he still doesn't have a good picture of who's going to be lighting them up in our next meeting.
He's yet to face the real Seahawks, and they won't be serving up any "Vanilla"

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Matthews didnt play.

I read the post game thread on the chargers forum and while some are rational there are a TON that dillusion. Basically saying all of our starters played the entire first half mainly because they dont even know who is on the team and think that Wilson = Every starter. :0190l:

The fact is that any quarterback we had was going to roll that team last night. There wasnt a single trick play even. Just straight in your face, fast, precise, disciplined execution. As far as "getting tape" on us is concerned. I would imagine that theyve gotten the memo long before that game started lol

Pretty sure their coaching staff is just hoping to be competitive in week 2.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3657zsq8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3657zsq8 said:
WheatHawk":3657zsq8 said:
Polk738":3657zsq8 said:

Yes.

Definitely a Chargers fan.

Which is weird, because I thought they didn't exist.
That's a bit harsh especially given Charger fans aren't annoying like Denver fans like Cinnamon Girl. Cinnamon is so apt a name for orange don't you think?

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
After reading some of those responses I did just realize that the Hawks don't really do anything special on defense, no crazy packages, blitzes, etc etc. They truly do rely on the talent of they're personnel to get the job done.