Comments on Condotta's 53-man roster

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Bob Condotta just posted his predictions for the Seahawks 53-man roster. It is probably a week or two too early, with battles still raging for some of the last spots in each group.

Condotta really doesn't know much about football, but I appreciate that he is at trying his hand at analysis, instead of just reporting the facts.

I have cut and pasted Condotta's predictions and added my own comments on how I would predict differently for each group.

Note: I am probably wrong on some of the players I suggest for the practice squad, like Cooper Heffet. It's hard to calculate who is eligible because it depends on things like how many times they were active for games.

QUARTERBACK

Keep: Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson, Terrelle Pryor

Cut: B.J. Daniels

Comment: SAME, if they can't trade Pryor for more than a seventh round pick. Tavaris sitting out the last game was mysterious, but might have been because they wanted to get Pryor in the game sooner in order to showcase him.

RUNNING BACK

Keep: Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael, Derrick Coleman

Cut: Spencer Ware, Kiero Small, Demitrius Bronson

Comment: ADD KIERO SMALL, making 5 running backs. Kiero Small will be a star in the NFL.

RECEIVERS

Keep: Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Paul Richardson, Ricardo Lockette, Bryan Walters

Cut: Phil Bates, Arceto Clark, Chris Matthews, Kevin Smith, David Gilreath

Comment: Condotta shows his ignorance on NFL football here, saying that Norwood should be their IR exception and that he can come back any time. First, IR exceptions have to wait at least 8 weeks before coming back. Second, no team in their right mind would use their one IR exception on a rookie at the bottom of the roster. They will save it in case a star -- like Wilson, Thomas, Sherman, Harvin, Okung, etc -- gets hurt. The Seahawks will KEEP ONLY FIVE RECEIVERS, with either Lockette, Walters or more likely Norwood as the fifth. Remember, there is the possibility of Sidney Rice coming out of retirement for the stretch run if there is an emergency situation, so five is fine.

TIGHT END

Keep: Zach Miller, Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet

Cut: RaShaun Allen, Morrell Presley

Comment: SAME, although it would probably be safe to keep Heffet on the practice squad. Heffet is not great at blocking, and although Kearse and Baldwin cannot block like TEs, tney are pretty good for WRs. Plus, they can put Bailey or even Cassius Marsh at blocking TE if they really need a third.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Keep: Russell Okung, Max Unger, J.R. Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, Justin Britt, Lemuel Jeanpierre, Caylin Hauptmann, Eric Winston, Stephen Schilling

Cut: Cory Brandon, C.J. Davis, Greg Van Roten, Nate Isles, Gary Gilliam, Wade Smith

Comment: MAYBE, but Jeanpierre might be in trouble. Wade Smith made the Pro Bowl after the 2012 season and is probably still a much better lineman than Jeanpierre. Both Schilling and Smith can play center.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Keep: Tony McDaniel, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Jordan Hill, Kevin Williams, Cassius Marsh, O’Brien Schofield, D’Anthony Smith, Greg Scruggs

Cut: Michael Brooks, Andru Pulu, Jimmy Staten, Benson Mayowa

Comment: You can never have too many pass rushers. CUT SMITH, KEEP MAYOWA.

LINEBACKER

Keep: Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Cut: Heath Farwell, Jackson Jeffcoat, Horace Miller, Marcus Dowti

Comment: Brock Coyle is a poor man's John Lotulelei. Whereas Lutolelei moved forward to tackle, Coyle moves sideways. Lotulelei crushed them, Coyle gets knocked backwards and dragged. Coyle does not have the speed Ken Norton looks for. CUT COYLE, KEEP FARWELL, or possibly Jeffcoat. Ideally, they find a way to stash Jeffcoat on IR. Farwell is the most valuable special teams player in the league and is phenomenal in short yardage, e.g. goal line stand, situations. Without Red Bryant, who was also phenomenal in those situations, it would be dangerous to cut Farwell.

SAFETY

Keep: Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Jeron Johnson, DeShawn Shead

Cut: Steven Terrell, Terrance Parks

Comment: Shead has looked surprisingly terrible in preseason. CUT SHEAD, KEEP TERRELL, or possibly Parks.

CORNERBACK

Keep: Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon

Cut: A.J. Jefferson, Akeem Auguste, Thomas Wolfe, Phillip Adams, Michael Dobson

Comment: SAME, unless they trade Pryor or keep only two tight ends, then they might try to find a spot for Terrell Thomas.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Keep: Steven Hauschka (PK), Jon Ryan (P), Clint Gresham (snapper)

Cut: No one

Comment: Heath Farrell is extremely valuable in special teams, but he seems to be on the bubble this preseason. I have to think that they will come to their senses and keep him as a linebacker.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cant see us wasting a roster spot on TP when he cannot even run the offense. BJ looked better. I hope they either trade him or release him it s waste of a spot for a guy who is an FA next year, and will never play and is not a QB.

Tell me the QBs

2422 yards, 48% complt, 6.71 YPA, 17 tds, 9 ints, QB rating 75.3, 989 yards rushing, 12 tds

1953 yards, 56% compt, 6.47 ypa, 9 tds, 12 ints, qb rating 69.3 627 yards rushing, 3 tds

The answer should tell you what should happen to TP

Smellyman

Reaction score
Ken Norton Jr., who was impressed by his tape and pro day numbers at Montana, which included a 4.6 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical leap. Oh, and the pro day was conducted outdoors in 37 degree Missoula weather.

He is holding up pretty well against the 1's as a rookie out of Montana

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":13syhtu6 said:
Cant see us wasting a roster spot on TP when he cannot even run the offense. BJ looked better. I hope they either trade him or release him it s waste of a spot for a guy who is an FA next year, and will never play and is not a QB.

Tell me the QBs

2422 yards, 48% complt, 6.71 YPA, 17 tds, 9 ints, QB rating 75.3, 989 yards rushing, 12 tds

1953 yards, 56% compt, 6.47 ypa, 9 tds, 12 ints, qb rating 69.3 627 yards rushing, 3 tds

Tarvaris is a free agent next year too. They should cut him because he is just wasting a roster spot. Hell, he's wasted a roster spot on the team for far too long already and will never play and is not a QB.

My guess is that Pryor would do just as little damage as Tarvaris did last year with his 13 passes. Plus, if the Seahawks cut Pryor, he'll get signed by the niners whereas Tarvaris will still be available later in the year if one of the other QBs gets hurt.

OP
OP
Bob_the_Destroyer

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Smellyman":xe8fis2x said:
Ken Norton Jr., who was impressed by his tape and pro day numbers at Montana, which included a 4.6 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical leap. Oh, and the pro day was conducted outdoors in 37 degree Missoula weather.

Good point. I had forgotten he was that fast and athletic. When it comes to football, I think I might have a racial stereotype of caucasians.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":2cs1vskw said:
Smellyman":2cs1vskw said:

Good point. I had forgotten he was that fast and athletic. When it comes to football, I think I might have a racial stereotype of caucasians.

:D

Captain

Reaction score
When has there ever been any mention of Rice possibly coming out of retirement for the stretch run? Did you just make that up? I can't see it happening even in emergency situation.

TwilightError

Reaction score
They didnt even bother to bring competition for Hauschka this year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":24nf9qpt said:

Tell me the QBs

You're a "stat guy", so my guess is that you think the QB stats on the bottom are worse than the top one. Therefore, I believe that Pryor would be the guy listed second. Being that your stat comparison is meant to make Pryor look bad, I bet that the first QB you listed is one of the worst QBs to ever play the game. Knowing this, there is absolutely NO way for anyone to change your mind because "the stats say so". From the looks of the stats though, the first set shows a very lucky QB to have more tds than ints. His completion % is awful and he runs a lot.

What I can't get from the stats vastly outweighs what I can get from them. For instance, I have no idea if you are comparing rookie to rookie or rookie to veteran. No idea how many games each played to amass these stats. How good were the WRs each of them were throwing to. The system each of them were running and how long each of them had been in that system. I could keep going, but it would be wasting my time because you are dead set in your hatred of Pryor after his 10 starts.

What I can't understand is why you are in love with a backup QB that has been in the league for nine years and has proven to be as inept as a nine year veteran QB could ever be. A QB that has been in the same system with 32 starts that STILL makes stupid mistakes and seems to have difficulty reading defenses. Still is slow making decisions and knowing where to go with the ball.

I've read that it takes 30 starts to determine exactly what a QB can and can't do. Tarvaris had his 30 starts and has shown me enough to know that he can't do what he should be able to do after nine years in the same system. It's time to let someone else get to their 30 starts because Tarvaris just isn't good enough.

chris98251

Reaction score
QUARTERBACK

Keep: Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson, B.J. Daniels

Cut: Terrelle Pryor

Comment: The key is turnovers, Pete doesn't like them, Daniels is familiar with the system and doesn't turn the ball over, TJack doesn't have to prove he can step in, he already has. This Pre Season is to see if the athlete can be a QB, if he can't cutting him for and not getting a 7th rounder is a minimal loss with this team.

RUNNING BACK

Keep: Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael, Kiero Small

Cut: Spencer Ware, Derrick Coleman , Demitrius Bronson

Comment: Coleman is a nice story but doesn't have the mentality we need and the willingness to lay the wood like Small does nor the instincts, Smalls hands are not as bad as many think in my opinion either, Ware could still make the PS along with Bronson.

RECEIVERS

Keep: Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Paul Richardson, Ricardo Lockette, Kevin Norwood

Cut: Phil Bates, Arceto Clark, Chris Matthews, Kevin Smith, David Gilreath

Comment: If Norwood can't be ready by game 1 we IR him and Walters or Bates I would guess gets that spot, Walters can still PS if I am correct. We treat Norwood a lot like Ware last year.

TIGHT END

Keep: Zach Miller, Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet

Cut: RaShaun Allen, Morrell Presley

Comment: I think this is what we look at for the season with one stashed on PS in case of injury.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Keep: Russell Okung, Max Unger, J.R. Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, Justin Britt, Lemuel Jeanpierre, , Eric Winston, Stephen Schilling, .

Cut: Cory Brandon, C.J. Davis, Greg Van Roten, Nate Isles, , Wade Smith, Caylin Hauptmann,Gary Gilliam

Comment: I think they are enamored with Gilliam and keep him somehow, Hauptman has had time to get promoted and if a choice is made I think a higher paid FA Vet is released in Winston and or Schilling.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Keep: Tony McDaniel, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Jordan Hill, Kevin Williams, Cassius Marsh, O’Brien Schofield, Greg Scruggs, D’Anthony Smith

Cut: Michael Brooks, Andru Pulu, , Benson Mayowa, Jimmy Staten

Comment: Staten goes to IR or Red Shirted somehow Pulu as well.

LINEBACKER

Keep: Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Brock Coyle, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Bruce Irvin

Cut: Heath Farwell, Jackson Jeffcoat, Horace Miller, Marcus Dowti, Mike Morgan

Comment: Jeffcoat goes to PS along with Miller. Pierre Louis has so much speed he will be a Special teams player Wild card is Toomer if he is sound then I think Pierre Louis goes to PS.

SAFETY

Keep: Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Jeron Johnson, DeShawn Shead

Cut: Steven Terrell, Terrance Parks

Comment: This a pretty locked up position.

CORNERBACK

Keep: Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon, A.J. Jefferson

Cut: Akeem Auguste, Thomas Wolfe, Phillip Adams, Michael Dobson

Comment: We will need at least 5, unless Jefferson screws up big time I think he sticks.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Keep: Steven Hauschka (PK), Jon Ryan (P), Clint Gresham (snapper)

Cut: No one

Final thought, if they move Daniels to PS then we keep another Lineman I think, it's been our achilles heel.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
TwilightError":2b0pdqmh said:
You'd think, after he refused to kick that field goal in the NFCCG, he'd be facing some competition. Guess Pete really respected the honesty and the courage to make that call. AND IT WON US THE GAME!!!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
rideaducati":251ldqpm said:
Anthony!":251ldqpm said:

Tell me the QBs

Tarvaris is a free agent next year too. They should cut him because he is just wasting a roster spot. Hell, he's wasted a roster spot on the team for far too long already and will never play and is not a QB.

My guess is that Pryor would do just as little damage as Tarvaris did last year with his 13 passes. Plus, if the Seahawks cut Pryor, he'll get signed by the niners whereas Tarvaris will still be available later in the year if one of the other QBs gets hurt.

You're both wrong. Neither is a "waste" of a roster spot. Keeping both might be a waste of a spot though. We'll see.

Btw BJ looked awkward and out of place. I like the guy and he might have potential but right now TJ! and TP are both ten times the QB he is.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":2nxxjlrb said:
Anthony!":2nxxjlrb said:

Tell me the QBs

But TJ is not a project TP is. As to the damage yes he will cause damage we loos e roster spot for a QB who cannot play QB

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":12ojngn5 said:
Anthony!":12ojngn5 said:

Tell me the QBs

You're a "stat guy", so my guess is that you think the QB stats on the bottom are worse than the top one. Therefore, I believe that Pryor would be the guy listed second. Being that your stat comparison is meant to make Pryor look bad, I bet that the first QB you listed is one of the worst QBs to ever play the game. Knowing this, there is absolutely NO way for anyone to change your mind because "the stats say so". From the looks of the stats though, the first set shows a very lucky QB to have more tds than ints. His completion % is awful and he runs a lot.

What I can't get from the stats vastly outweighs what I can get from them. For instance, I have no idea if you are comparing rookie to rookie or rookie to veteran. No idea how many games each played to amass these stats. How good were the WRs each of them were throwing to. The system each of them were running and how long each of them had been in that system. I could keep going, but it would be wasting my time because you are dead set in your hatred of Pryor after his 10 starts.

What I can't understand is why you are in love with a backup QB that has been in the league for nine years and has proven to be as inept as a nine year veteran QB could ever be. A QB that has been in the same system with 32 starts that STILL makes stupid mistakes and seems to have difficulty reading defenses. Still is slow making decisions and knowing where to go with the ball.

I've read that it takes 30 starts to determine exactly what a QB can and can't do. Tarvaris had his 30 starts and has shown me enough to know that he can't do what he should be able to do after nine years in the same system. It's time to let someone else get to their 30 starts because Tarvaris just isn't good enough.

Actually it was a trick question both stats are bad but in different ways. The person the bottom had the better complt% but the rest horrible. and by the way the stats do not make anything they are what they are and say what they say.

By the way that is Tebow vs Pryor.

As for hatred no hatred just do not want to waste a roster spot on a QB who cannot play QB. It is not involve with a back up or not, iot is not wanting to waste a roster spot on a guy who is not a QB,

I do not understand why you are so in love with a guy who has shown he is not an NFL QB. As to Tj what it comes down to his respect, given his last year as our starter was not great, but given he played most of it with a torn pect he has major props in the locker room as well, enough said. Also FYI TJ one year as our starter was better than TPs, and TP was healthy while TJ played with a torn pect.

You may say TJ is not good enough but he is better than TP, oh and love to see the link on the 30 starts, because to be honest I doubt it is 30 starts.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Jefferson at CB has looked great, and I'd keep Pryor over Jackson.

HansGruber

Reaction score
PS - you can't fairly judge Pryor by his time in Oakland. They had nothing on offense - no OL, no running game, no receivers, nothing.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
7 QB/RB/FB
8 WR/TE
9 OL

QB: Wilson, Jackson, Pryor
RB: Lynch, Turbin, Michael, (Small), (Harvin)
FB: Small, (Willson), (Helfet), (Miller)
WR: Baldwin, Harvin, Kearse, Richardson,
WR: Walters, (Willson), (Helfet)
TE: Miller, Willson, Helfet, (Bailey)
LT: Okung, Bailey
LG: Carpenter, (Schilling), (Jeanpierre), (Bailey)
OC: Unger, Jeanpierre, (Schilling)
RG: Sweezy, Schilling, (Jeanpierre)
RT: Britt, Winston

= 24 Offensive Players

10 DL
7 LB
9 DB

LEO: Avril, Schofield, Mayowa, (Irvin), (Morgan)
DE: Bennett, Marsh
3T: Williams, Hill, (McDaniel), (Scruggs)
NT: Mebane, Scruggs, (Williams), (Hill)
5T: McDaniel, (Bennett), (Scruggs), (Marsh)

SLB: Irvin, Morgan, (Smith), (Wright)
MLB: Wagner, Croyle, (Wright)
WLB: Wright, Smith, Pierre-Louis, (Croyle)

CB: Sherman, Maxwell, Simon, (Shead)
NB: Lane, Jefferson
FS: Thomas, Shead
SS: Chancellor, Johnson, (Shead)

= 26 Defensive Players

ST: Ryan (P), Haushka (K), Gresham (LS)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

RB Spencer Ware (FB)
WR Phil Bates (WR)
WR Kevin Smith (WR)
TE Rashaun Allen (TE)
T Garry Gilliam (OT)
OL Caylin Hauptmann (OG, OT, OC)
DL Michael Brooks (3T/5T/NT)
DB Terrance Parks (S/CB)

IR: Kevin Norwood, Akeem Auguste

seacat1

Reaction score
It looks like some have left Bruce Irvin off the list. I would have to think he makes the team.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwilightError":48p22s4a said:
No need considering how he's kicking....every FG straight down the middle including a 55 yarder that could've been 60 Friday night, kickoffs into the end zone, etc.
In 50 years of watching football, I'm not sure I've ever seen a kicker this dialed in. Hope it lasts the season and considering he missed one FG all year last year (I'm not counting the one fumbled snap attempt that wasn't his fault but does count as a miss statistically I believe) and how he looks this preseason, I think it will.

First kicker drafted in my friends' fantasy draft yesterday and with good reason (and that was by a Cowpatty fan).

rigelian

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2pm37708 said:
rideaducati":2pm37708 said:
Anthony!":2pm37708 said:

Tell me the QBs

You're both wrong. Neither is a "waste" of a roster spot. Keeping both might be a waste of a spot though. We'll see.

Btw BJ looked awkward and out of place. I like the guy and he might have potential but right now TJ! and TP are both ten times the QB he is.

I agree. BJ kept missing handouts or almost missing handouts. I'm not sure if he knows how to run the offense

Latest posts