Dwight Freeny pissed off at Zach Miller

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Freeny's been in the league way too long, and has seen way too many zone cut blocking run game schemes to complain like this.

It is a very fine line with how zone blocking works, what with one lineman grabbing, then releasing as another lineman, TE or FB cuts the lineman..........but it's perfectly legal when done correctly.

kearly

Reaction score
I actually saw this play while re-watching the game for my OL review a few days ago. It was a fairly obvious knee-level illegal block with an engaged lineman right in the middle of the action... I was very surprised the refs didn't flag it. Very lucky that nobody was injured. The defensive player got up slowly and gingerly but appeared to be okay. He did leave the game though and according to that article, he is currently wearing a walking boot.

Freeney is doing the right thing for standing up for a teammate. Love Zach Miller but he probably deserves a fine for that play. Sweezy does this kind of thing all the time which is probably why he has developed a reputation among D-lineman for being a bit of a dirty player.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
In the world of auto racing there is a saying, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught". This might apply to the grid iron as well.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":l23pk3dh said:
In the world of auto racing there is a saying, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught". This might apply to the grid iron as well.
That might be so, but I do have to agree with Kearly on this one, in that it is walking a thin line, and, I would be pissed off if it happened to one of our Defensive players, and I don't doubt for an instant that there'd be a big huff around here on the .NET if it did.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How is it possible for so many people to be on both sides of the fence at the same time?

It did not look like a clean play, he certainly has a right to be angry about it.

Maybe it was an accident, maybe not - but it is weird that some of the same Seahawks fans that were livid about a certain Vikings LB hitting one of our players low or improperly, seem to have no problem when we do it to different teams with slightly different circumstances.

Even worse, it was a preseason game. We were upset about Broncos taking kill shots in a preseason game, might as well acknowledge that low and late/low blocks probably toe the line as far as acceptable in the preseason.

You can point out someone on your team did something wrong without having to lose your fan card.

Or is the point of view that we hate dirty play when other teams do it (Rams, Dockett, Vikings, Broncos, etc) but it is totally justified when we do it as long as we don't get caught?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I played offensive line for 14 years at every position. Defensive lineman get away with all kinds of holding, rolling, face mask pulling and cheap shots. I never once felt bad for cutting the $hit out of their knees. A helmet to the ribs when they were engaged in another block was even better. Their favorite thing to do is ear hole on interception returns.

Cry me a river Dwight.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I didn't see it, but if it was as Kearly described, he should be fined. Going for a guy's knees is never right, IMO.

Man, anyone that posts on PFT is a total drama queen. I read like 10 responses and felt dirty....and dumber.

Burnplant

Reaction score
“It looked very, very illegal to me,” Freeney said, via U-T San Diego. “Now, are they going to see everything? No. Should they catch that? Absolutely. Should that guy get a fine? Yes. Did he? Who knows.”

Does Dwight Freeney use the "ask and answer my own question" style too much? Yes.

dusktreader

Reaction score
That hit looked dirty as hell, which surprises me. Zach Miller isn't known as a dirty player is he? I definitely wouldn't expect that kinda cheap shot from him