Pryor to the practice squad?

dusktreader

Reaction score
Is there something I'm missing here? This seems like an obvious solution to the problem of what to do with Pryor. I don't think he's ready to be a #2, and I think Jackson is a very servicable back-up. I think Pryor has room to grow, and could become a very threatening backup. Plus, having him imitate Kap in practice should be very useful. I think BJD has a lot of potential, and he showed that he is a great understudy for Russel, but I don't think he has the potential that Pryor does.

Is Pryor elligible for the practice squad?

I think this is a good move because:
* Jackson has one more year left on his contract, and all the money is guranteed so there is no savings
* Jackson is a solid backup, and I think he's more reliable than Pryor
* The practice squad was just expanded, so it's less painful to stash Pryor there
* Pryor can be a fake Kap for practicing up for the 9ers
* Pete and co. might be able to groom Pryor into a very dangerous #2 for next year

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

kidhawk

Reaction score
dusktreader":2joy18ef said:
Is there something I'm missing here? This seems like an obvious solution to the problem of what to do with Pryor. I don't think he's ready to be a #2, and I think Jackson is a very servicable back-up. I think Pryor has room to grow, and could become a very threatening backup. Plus, having him imitate Kap in practice should be very useful. I think BJD has a lot of potential, and he showed that he is a great understudy for Russel, but I don't think he has the potential that Pryor does.

I think this is a good move because:
* Jackson has one more year left on his contract, and all the money is guranteed so there is no savings
* Jackson is a solid backup, and I think he's more reliable than Pryor
* The practice squad was just expanded, so it's less painful to stash Pryor there
* Pryor can be a fake Kap for practicing up for the 9ers
* Pete and co. might be able to groom Pryor into a very dangerous #2 for next year

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

I don't know what the new rules are for the practice squad, as there were some changes with the recent switch to 10 practice squad players, but I can't see any way in which Pryor would be eligible, since he's got 3 years of professional experience under his belt.

Not that it matters much, there's no way Pryor doesn't get signed to be someone else's backup if we cut him. No way possible.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dusktreader":2r04f9xc said:

He's not. Players with an accrued NFL season (on the active list for 9+ games) are ineligible for the practice squad. Pryor has far exceeded that threshold during his first two seasons in Oakland.

OP
OP
dusktreader

dusktreader

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2k9wmq8e said:
dusktreader":2k9wmq8e said:

He's not. Players with an accrued NFL season (on the active list for 9+ games) are ineligible for the practice squad. Pryor has far exceeded that threshold during his first two seasons in Oakland.

OK, that's that then! Thanks for clearing that up, and, yes, he'll get snapped up on the quicks if we cut him.

So, then the question is who hurts us less when SF picks up the QB that we cut? BJD or TP?

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ona0f3a said:
dusktreader":3ona0f3a said:

Actually I just looked it up. The new eligibility rule (changed when they went from 8 to 10) says that any player who has accrued up to 32 games is eligible, so any player drafted in 2012 or 2013 would automatically be eligible. Pryor has 3 years (48 games) so he still isn't eligible. That eligibility change is ONLY for the 2 additional players. The original 8 are still under the original eligibility rules.

drdiags

Reaction score
Pryor has already stated he wants to start so I doubt he would re-sign here after his contract expires this year. So the idea of him replacing TJack next year is not an option in my opinion. I think the team is going to try to flip him for trade value if he doesn't beat out TJack.

Largent80

Reaction score
There are 2 pre-season games remaining. We already know T-Jack will play a lot on Friday. Do you think it may be possible to objectively consider all the pre-season games and practices before making a judgement.

Look, I like TJ TJ TJ, however, there is this TEAM thing, and the best players need to be on it. I want to see more of both of them and even Daniels, and see them with the 1's and 2's equally.

So far, that hasn't happened. Against SD, I wish they would have taken Russell out after the 1st quarter so more evaluation could be made. To me, that backup spot is NOT nailed down yet.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pryor's best value would be on a scout team.

He would be a disaster at backup.

If Russell goes down for a season we would be screwed anyway, but an event like Russell getting hurt and being out for 2-3 games is certainly not outside of the realm of possibility. My understanding is that Russell got hit on close to 50% of his passes last year?? (It was a # on a blog site, so if it is wrong then I stand corrected but it is an insane #)

So assuming we lose him for 3 games or so, maybe against some of the less strong teams, if we have Jackson we can still march up the field and score. He has proven that and the defense could probably keep us in games.

With Pryor? We would be screwed. We might get one or even two runs for TD out of him, but that would be offset by a few interceptions and plenty of bad drives. It isn't that he CAN'T be a good QB, but he isn't a good QB right now. Nobody says that Jackson would set the world on fire, but at least he can give us one or two wins if we had some problems with Wilson needing to heal up in a thin part of the schedule.

So the idea that we should just take an ineffective QB as backup because losing Wilson means we are screwed is folly. That extra 1-2 games we might get in an example like the one I showed might be the difference in playoff position or even home field in that circumstance.

It might be tantalizing to keep Pryor as backup because he does a good job getting the team ready for QBs like Kap, and because his talent is tempting. But you do so knowing that if Wilson gets sidelined you are essentially forfeiting games until he returns.

*That said, Pete has plenty of track record of making head scratching choices that baffle me and then those choices work out perfectly and make me look like an idiot. So, at this point if Pete and John decided they wanted do something crazy like start a goat or emu at linebacker....I would have to trust their judgement since they seem to have been right about the rest so far.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I agree with that. I like TJ as well as the next girl, if BJ or Pryor can throw the ball at all, I would much rather keep them and dump TJ salary cap hit or not.

Largent80

Reaction score
We have seen T-Jack for years. He was a starter here. With a completly different team around him, and it wasn't a good one either.

The same can be said for Pryor. Those Oakland teams were worse than the Hawks of the same time.

Still, We just haven't seen enough ESPECIALLY with the 1's and 2's. Maybe the coaches have
Remember when we traded for Whitehurst and everyone was clamoring for him, and wondering why he wasn't getting the reps in practice or playing in games?

Same thing going on here with not only these 2 but Daniels as well. Iv'e already said that in other threads so I'm done with the backup topic. However I really would like to see TJ and Pryor with the 1's and 2's before the regular season starts.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is not eligible as a QB but could we stash him there as a TE project since he has admitted that he doesn't know how to catch? He needs practice catching right?

kidhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":304cl117 said:
He is not eligible as a QB but could we stash him there as a TE project since he has admitted that he doesn't know how to catch? He needs practice catching right?

You forgot your :sarcasm_off:

I'm sure you know it doesn't work that way

Anthony!

Reaction score
drdiags":19erpgek said:
Pryor has already stated he wants to start so I doubt he would re-sign here after his contract expires this year. So the idea of him replacing TJack next year is not an option in my opinion. I think the team is going to try to flip him for trade value if he doesn't beat out TJack.

He will nto beat out TJ, and even if he did, so we let TJ go, have TP for a back up, pray we do not need him, and then next year have no backup, when all along we had a backup who knew the offense, had the respect of the players etc.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Largent80":s5ocei9e said:
There are 2 pre-season games remaining. We already know T-Jack will play a lot on Friday. Do you think it may be possible to objectively consider all the pre-season games and practices before making a judgement.

Look, I like TJ TJ TJ, however, there is this TEAM thing, and the best players need to be on it. I want to see more of both of them and even Daniels, and see them with the 1's and 2's equally.

So far, that hasn't happened. Against SD, I wish they would have taken Russell out after the 1st quarter so more evaluation could be made. To me, that backup spot is NOT nailed down yet.

Counting you that is 1 person that does not think the backup position is nailed down. Unless TP showed close to starting ability, which he cannot, he has no shot at backup. By the way preseason game 3 the starters will go into the 3rd qtr, then TJ. TP will probably not play, and then comes game 4 which matters little.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ze41f5p said:
I agree with that. I like TJ as well as the next girl, if BJ or Pryor can throw the ball at all, I would much rather keep them and dump TJ salary cap hit or not.

BJ I can agree with but TP why he is gone after this year anyway, and will not resign unless we can guarantee him a legit chance to start which barring a career ending injury to Rw is not going to happen. That is the thing it seems some do not see, he is gone after this year, with no chance to keep him at all.

kearly

Reaction score
Even if he was eligible there is no way he would make it through waivers thanks to a certain "SuckFest" backup QB group.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Gee I wonder what suckfest qb team that would be.
JS, PC and RW should to stop doing their good DUTY and let this TP project flush.

Largent80

Reaction score
Anthony!":3qlrz90z said:
Largent80":3qlrz90z said:

Counting you that is 1 person that does not think the backup position is nailed down. Unless TP showed close to starting ability, which he cannot, he has no shot at backup. By the way preseason game 3 the starters will go into the 3rd qtr, then TJ. TP will probably not play, and then comes game 4 which matters little.

How is the backup position nailed down in your eyes when the coaching staff is going to let T-Jack play from the 2nd quarter this week.? They are evaluating just like everyone else. There are 2 games remaining PLUS practices. Couple that with the fact T-Jack has a guaranteed contract and I am saying he is anything but secure in that position.

In case you haven't noticed, we have several "keeper" players due for new contracts. With the obvious gargantuan RW contract on the horizon. T-Jack is NOT entrenched into that backup spot with 2 games remaining. He had better make a good showing on Friday.