Grantland Article on all time best positional groups (LOB)

thebanjodude

Reaction score
http://grantland.com/features/best-units-nfl-history/

Obviously, the current candidates for this honor (best defensive backfield of all time) are in Seattle, and this exercise showed me just how limited the life span of great positional units really can be. It seems like we’re just getting started with the Sherman-Thomas-Chancellor trio, and while this group is signed through 2017, it’s difficult to imagine them playing together for that long. They’re not yet the best secondary in NFL history, but given how effective they’ve been through three seasons together, the Legion of Boom is certainly on its way. More than any other positional grouping in today’s NFL, they have a chance to go down as the best group of players at their position in league history.

SonomaHawk

Reaction score
I think a story-line for this season my be how the Hawks LB core of Smith, Wagner, and Irvin outplay the 49ers rightfully respected group. I have high hopes for our LBs-- this is the season they come of age.

Cartire

Reaction score
Barthawk":1p45n7pw said:
i don't see why it is so inconceivable that they play together til 2017.. young and by that time their salaries won't be as much now because of the salary cap increase.

I think hes reflecting more on the likely hood and not the possibility. Its pretty unheard of for the same group of guys back there to stay together for that long. If only because of injuries, cap casualties, and even competition could inevitably move one.

I hope they will too.

Sac

Reaction score
It's also unheard of for that many elite play makers to be drafted by the same team within two years of each other. But it happened.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wonder how many "all-time" secondaries were the core of a defense that led the NFL in total defense, points allowed and takeaways in the same season? That's what the LOB did. And they did it in an era that emphasizes passing over everything else.

Longevity is certainly a key element of GOAT discussions. But in terms of single-season greatness, I wonder if any secondary can claim to have been better than Seattle's in 2013.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ne30e5p said:
I wonder how many "all-time" secondaries were the core of a defense that led the NFL in total defense, points allowed and takeaways in the same season? That's what the LOB did. And they did it in an era that emphasizes passing over everything else.

Longevity is certainly a key element of GOAT discussions. But in terms of single-season greatness, I wonder if any secondary can claim to have been better than Seattle's in 2013.

This is where debates that span different eras are so hard to have. The NFL was such a different beast decades ago. So many factors have changed both how the game is played, and the condition the athletes are in. I have zero doubt in my mind, that the worst team in the NFL today, could easily make a championship run against any team 1990 and before.

I know its hard to remove the nostaligia goggles when it comes to that, but its just part of the evolution of the game.

Many factors attribute to this:

-Player conditioning is now a year round, scientifically enhanced process. Back in the day, most athletes (who werent paid even close the same salaries even after inflation adjustments, so a lot of this is to be understood) had no where near the condition levels that players do today.

-Game IQ. There were tons of smart football players back in the day, but the game has becomes so smart compared to then. Both in preparation and execution. Theres 30 more coaches per team that specialize in every aspect of the game. On demand film study thats easily sorted and specialized. Saber Metrics that are put into plays and counters for those plays. Its a whole new game mentally.

-Equipment has changed drastically too. As injuries began becoming a problem, we added more and more protection that became pretty bulky. But, as the game has sped up, we have dramatically altered the style to be more comfortable and maneuverable enhancing the abilities of the players.

-Life long training. A lot of these athletes have been playing football their whole life. From pop Warner all the way through. There were plenty of youth leagues and high school and college programs a while back, but not even close the quality and attention to detail as they are today.

Anyway, point being is, as we try to compare todays teams and stars to the past, we have to put a gigantic note on the bottom for people to understand that it can only ever really be subjective no matter what the stats say.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
We can debate GOATs until the end of time and MANY people will have legitimate arguments of who's better than who, the era which they played, etc.. I read that article and reflected on how lucky we are as fans to bear witness to such an exemplary display of defensive prowess. After trudging through so many years of mediocrity on defense perpetually highlighted by one or two outstanding players being overshown by the lack of talent around them, I feel like we've reached a golden age of Seahawks football. These guys will be playing together for 3 more years! Bask in it! We've got at least 3 more years (barring injury). So much to look forward to.

I may have started drinking already. GAME DAY!!