Jordan Hill

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I am completely underwhelmed with Hill. I doubt we cut him yet, but so far I'm not seeing the development I had hoped for.

The quality of our D line depth is a concern. I would not be surprised to see us bringing in a veteran cut.

King Dog

Reaction score
Alan Branch just got cut I believe. He would be a decent fattie to clog up the middle.

kearly

Reaction score
I liked Branch when he was here, but It takes a special kind of idiot to get a DUI three days before roster cutdown.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":26yip4xs said:
I liked Branch when he was here, but It takes a special kind of idiot to get a DUI three days before roster cutdown.
Or a special kind of genius to figure out a way onto our roster for a super bowl ring.

Its all in the perspective.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You're likely not going to see a lot of impact plays from Hill from now on. He's playing playing almost solely 1 tech, which is not the most glamorous position often taking a whole career to get recognition, and I think he's actually playing well. He's been pretty stout in holding the LOS from moving back at the LBs and is even taking some doubles pretty well. In this last game he showed off a really nice spin move from the 1 tech position twice. Too bad the play was called dead both times though because he got right by the C. :lol:

I've actually liked what I've seen from Hill especially because he's been playing 1 tech pretty well. It's not an easy position to play. Last year, when Mebane went out for a breather or was dinged up we put McDonald and all his 285 pounds that he played at last year at the position and he got dominated most of the time trying to be a 1 tech/NT. McDonald was a good pass rusher at 285, but just not fit for duty trying to be Bane.

Some of you may recall the Mebane ESPN stat recently where we were 3.4 ypc (tied for best in the NFL with the Jets) with Bane and 4.who gives a crap because it's bad without him. If you go back and watch that Tampa and Rams game from last year, Bane hardly played. Wags got a bad rap because of people parroting some nonsense about MLB play, but the vast majority of that was Mebane hardly playing in those games. We sometimes get gashed pretty bad when Bane isn't in.

My hope is that Hill continues to progress as a 1 tech. He's got the trunks and low center of gravity to continue to grow into that role. If you're expecting him to have 7 sacks in a year like in college or whatever, or just general superbowl team expectations from every player on the roster, you're probably going to be disappointed. I just think that right now he's doing what we really need him to do. Scruggs can play some reps there, but Hill is better suited and we REALLY need at least competent play from a backup there. If Hill can be that guy like he's showing he can be, we have zero depth concerns at DL this year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Quality post, thanks for sharing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":1mums4w3 said:
Quality post, thanks for sharing.

Thanks. If you're interested, some guy did a piece on him at FGs that I didn't really agree with, but the opposing view is always needed. Like most people, the expectation is that Hill is going to be this pass rusher that's going to be like McDonald. In my mind, I don't really care about that because of players like Marsh's pure pass rush ability from the inside and Scruggs' ability to collapse the pocket in a strait line where he doesn't allow the QB to step up. I'm much more concerned about the imperative need for a backup to Bane. Our two DT positions are really two very different positions.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-game ... ordan-hill

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Clinton McDonald has looked phenomenal for Tampa Bay. He dominated the Bills’ offensive line in that last game, single handedly drawing three penalties and then he scored a TD on a fumble recovery after charging into the backfield. McDonald is probably the biggest loss from last season no one is talking about.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
hawknation2014":hdz0uus5 said:
Clinton McDonald has looked phenomenal for Tampa Bay. He dominated the Bills’ offensive line in that last game, single handedly drawing three penalties and then he scored a TD on a fumble recovery after charging into the backfield. McDonald is probably the biggest loss from last season no one is talking about.

I hated losing McDonald, but he got a lot of money from Tampa, no way we could've matched it.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2jyfue1a said:
You're likely not going to see a lot of impact plays from Hill from now on. He's playing playing almost solely 1 tech, which is not the most glamorous position often taking a whole career to get recognition, and I think he's actually playing well. He's been pretty stout in holding the LOS from moving back at the LBs and is even taking some doubles pretty well. In this last game he showed off a really nice spin move from the 1 tech position twice. Too bad the play was called dead both times though because he got right by the C. :lol:

I've actually liked what I've seen from Hill especially because he's been playing 1 tech pretty well. It's not an easy position to play. Last year, when Mebane went out for a breather or was dinged up we put McDonald and all his 285 pounds that he played at last year at the position and he got dominated most of the time trying to be a 1 tech/NT. McDonald was a good pass rusher at 285, but just not fit for duty trying to be Bane.

Some of you may recall the Mebane ESPN stat recently where we were 3.4 ypc (tied for best in the NFL with the Jets) with Bane and 4.who gives a crap because it's bad without him. If you go back and watch that Tampa and Rams game from last year, Bane hardly played. Wags got a bad rap because of people parroting some nonsense about MLB play, but the vast majority of that was Mebane hardly playing in those games. We sometimes get gashed pretty bad when Bane isn't in.

My hope is that Hill continues to progress as a 1 tech. He's got the trunks and low center of gravity to continue to grow into that role. If you're expecting him to have 7 sacks in a year like in college or whatever, or just general superbowl team expectations from every player on the roster, you're probably going to be disappointed. I just think that right now he's doing what we really need him to do. Scruggs can play some reps there, but Hill is better suited and we REALLY need at least competent play from a backup there. If Hill can be that guy like he's showing he can be, we have zero depth concerns at DL this year.

Good observations. Coming into the preseason I was down and out on Hill, but I agree that he has shown us something since and I'm OK going forward hith him in the role you described. That said, I'm still a little queezy that Hill and Scruggs will likely be our only interior rotational depth, and I'd like us to pick up one more big body,..a spot that should have been Monstar's. Still bummed about that.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Revisiting this as the new depth chart shows Hill being the backup to Bane, which is really what I wanted to see. And oddly enough, Hill got his sack against the Raiders with that same spin move.