What are you most concerned about this season?

farhat

Reaction score
Is it the offensive line (no Giacomini)? Is it the dline (no Red or Clem or Clinton McDonald)? Is it our lack of depth as compared to previous seasons?

I would say my biggest concern is our defensive line against a team that can run the ball. Chris Clemons and Red Bryant were some big dudes that contributed more then we know against the run. Let's hope we can be strong in this area.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The health of the starters at OL, the experience on the right side, the experience on the left side if tOkung can't go, and the health of our QB because of the above.

OP
OP
F

farhat

Reaction score
Honestly, the offensive line looks as good as I've seen them in the preseason. The last 2 years in the preseason, I remember Giacomini getting blown back on the pass rush. Also, while Giacomini was good in the run game, I remember him getting blown back a lot against the pass. Do you guys remember McQuistan against Aldon Smith when Okung went down?

Britt has been looking good so far. Did you see him seal off the right side so Marshawn got his TD?

Carpenter and Sweezy look as good as I've ever see them.

And on the bench I'm excited about Alvin Bailey. Did you see him blow Navorro Bowman back in the 3rd Qtr of the NFC Championship Game?

And don't forget Lemuel Jeanpierre and Eric Winston.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Personally, I'm most worried about our offensive line. Our pass protection has been a joke the last couple seasons and now it looks like RT might be a liability with an unproven (and terribly rated in the preseason) rookie RT competing with some vets for the starting job.

If Carpenter and Sweezy can step up this year and Okung and Unger have solid seasons like we know they can, I'll be feeling more comfortable with the line. That RT spot kind of scares me after the first three games, though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The OL, specifically pass blocking.

It doesn't look any better than last year. Run blocking so far looks better, which can help. That said, Wilson can only take so many hits before our running "which backup QB is better" and "could Jackson have taken us to the SB with this defense?" debates end up being proven at some point.

As for DL......umm Clemmons weighed 256 lbs. He wasn't a "big dude" that overpowered people at the point of attack, he's elite defending in space and using his long arms to keep Tackless off of him and getting to his body.

I"m not worried about LEO. Marsh, Avril and Schofield are deeper and probably more talented that we were last year. I'm a bit worried about depth up the middle of the DL, but not overly so.

Hill hasn't flashed like he did last year.

Scruggs is still coming back, so I'm not worried about him, but I guess I was execting him to Beast in the preseason with the added (good) weight. I'm not worried about Scruggs specificially. Hell, we cut McDonald last year and brought him back. Not like he was showing all that well in the preseason.

Kevin Williams was a good pickup that played 700 snaps last year. He won't have to play that this year, which should mean he can maintain a high level through the season. At the very least, he'll start out the season well, and allow our younger depth guys to grow throughout the season.

We still have McDaniel, whom we can slide inside to 3 tech, play Bennett at that 5 tech (which he's very good at) and play with depth that way as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm concerned about both offensive tackle positions. Britt has a learning curve, Okung had to come back from surgery. I really like our interior starters. Sweezy has blossomed and is a nasty downfield blocker, Carp is finally injury and has his weight down. If Unger returns to form, we have a beastly interior.

My only other real concern is if Earl returns punts and somehow gets hurt.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
If the O-line is as good as it was last year, we'll be fine. I'm more concerned about the defensive pressure and sacks. Gotta have those or our vaunted LOB will struggle.

kearly

Reaction score
Really surprised by all the people saying OL. The OL this year looks improved in the interior and lets not forget that the OL was horrific last season and the Hawks still won the SB.

My biggest concern is our corners with the new rules emphasis. If the regular season is anything like the preseason, then playing quality man coverage will be almost impossible, and Seattle's zone coverage is not all that great. Opposing QBs this preseason have carved Seattle up pretty good despite the fluky lack of scoring the last two games.

The good news is that the new environment has really helped Seattle's passing offense a ton. With Harvin on the field Wilson looks unstoppable. I guess my 2nd biggest concern is that a Harvin injury would be a huge blow to Seattle's offense, but in the new environment our little receivers benefit quite a bit from the lack of contact so it might not hamstring the offense as much as last year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Run defense.

Pete's defensive philosophy starts by stopping the run. If we struggle with that then the rest will not do well.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If they'll wear white tops and grey pants at least once on the road.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not a thing, this team has the feel of the 1990's 49ers. Automatic (remember that song) and Wilson is Montana with wheels.

chris98251

Reaction score
My concerns are much like Kearley's, will the league let us be us, I don't think we seen our defense really in pre season, I think we will come out much more aggressive with Kam and Wagner back and our corners being much more aggressive. What I saw was a lot of off coverage but also a lot of reads and baiting, we let the underneath stuff happen but were jumping routes when they showed repeated formations etc with deep coverage ala Sherm and Maxwell and Thomas but Lane taking the chances.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Short answer: run defense.

Long anser: That we don't have the personnel to execute the scheme as effectively up front. Namely, I'm worried the defensive line will struggle to seal and keep bodies off of our linebackers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":1weuovb6 said:
My concerns are much like Kearley's, will the league let us be us, I don't think we seen our defense really in pre season, I think we will come out much more aggressive with Kam and Wagner back and our corners being much more aggressive. What I saw was a lot of off coverage but also a lot of reads and baiting, we let the underneath stuff happen but were jumping routes when they showed repeated formations etc with deep coverage ala Sherm and Maxwell and Thomas but Lane taking the chances.
Welcome to the current NFL. It's all about the offense regardless of the cost. And it's coming quick and it will cost big.

Steve2222

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1mf498na said:
chris98251":1mf498na said:
Welcome to the current NFL. It's all about the offense regardless of the cost. And it's coming quick and it will cost big.

It's a good thing Seattle appears to have one of the best, if not the best, offense in the league.