Marshawn's Chance at the HOF

Giblien

Reaction score
Just wondering what you think Beast-mode's chances are with regards to getting into the hall one day. I'd say if the voting was done right now, it would likely not happen, but if we get another ring, I think he is a sure in.

Thoughts?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'd say pretty slim.

Last 5 RBs into the HOF that weren't just the veteran committee guys:

Curtis Martin
Marshall Faulk
Emmitt Smith
Thurman Thomas
Barry Sanders

I love lynch but it would be hard to argue he's in that kind of historical company.

kearly

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch has 1753 career carries and has 1 ring. Terrell Davis retired with 1655 carries and two rings. Corey Dillon had 2618 carries and 1 ring.

Emmitt Smith retired with 4409 carries. It's a long ass road to the HoF.

Two more huge years for Lynch- each with rings at the end of them- would do the trick, or maybe five more 1000 yard years would do it too. Both strike me as unlikely, but I'm rooting for the guy.

IMO, he has the talent for the HoF, but not yet the resume.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He has two chances: Slim and none.

The only running back of this era that has a shot at the HOF is Adrian Peterson, and even he's going to have to have another 3-4 1,200 yard seasons or have a league MVP/SB MVP season. Lynch as a paltry 7400 career rushing yards, and he's going to need at least another 5,000 plus another two rings just to get on the radar. Heck, Stephen Jackson has 3,000 more rushing yards than Beast. Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Willis McGahee all have more career rushing yards than Lynch.

It's a quarterback's game. I wouldn't be surprised to see just one RB inducted in the next 20 years, with Peterson being the most likely candidate.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RiverDog":2cqggjmj said:

The only running back of this era that has a shot at the HOF is Adrian Peterson, and even he's going to have to have another 3-4 1,200 yard seasons or have a league MVP/SB MVP season. Lynch as a paltry 7400 career rushing yards, and he's going to need at least another 5,000 plus another two rings just to get on the radar. Heck, Stephen Jackson has 3,000 more rushing yards than Beast. Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Willis McGahee all have more career rushing yards than Lynch.

It's a quarterback's game. I wouldn't be surprised to see just one RB inducted in the next 20 years, with Peterson being the most likely candidate.

Petersen is already over 10k yards rushing. If he only played this season and then retired, he would make it in easily. Another 1000 yards and he's inside the top 20 all time for rushing yards. Add on the fact that he's been incredibly dominant every year he's been in the league and he's a shoe in. I think if he retired today, he'd probably still make it in. He averages 1400+ yds and 12 TD per season.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":3fmmtfgm said:
Have you seen the HoF speeches?
Lol that seems like a Marshawn nightmare.

"I'm all about dat action, Boss."

Drops the mic, puts on the gold jacket and walks off the stage.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not seeing him making it. As Riverdog mentioned Adrian Peterson may be the last RB you see in the HoF for a long time possibly ever. The rules dictate passing, quarterbacks and WR's.

endzorn

Reaction score
I wish we could go back to the debates about whether Hasselbeck was a Hall of Famer. Those were legit.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Yeah, he would need to have a few more monster years and probably have to win a Superbowl MVP award, break a couple records, that kind of stuff.

RiverDog

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2jsrtn0z said:
RiverDog":2jsrtn0z said:

Petersen is already over 10k yards rushing. If he only played this season and then retired, he would make it in easily. Another 1000 yards and he's inside the top 20 all time for rushing yards. Add on the fact that he's been incredibly dominant every year he's been in the league and he's a shoe in. I think if he retired today, he'd probably still make it in. He averages 1400+ yds and 12 TD per season.

Warrick Dunn is over 10,000 rushing, too, been out of the league since 2008 and he hasn't even been nominated. Same with Edgrin James, Tiki Barber, Jamal Lewis, Eddie George, Otis Anderson, Ricky Watters, and Corey Dillion. Jerome Bettis has 13,600 yards, is 6th on the all time rushing leaders, has a ring, and he's not in. The statistical bar at all quantifiable positions has been raised.

I grant you that my 3-4 more 1200 yard seasons might be overstating it a bit, but so is your 10,000 yard threshold, a shoe in if he plays this season and retires statement.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
More likely would be to be inducted in the Seahawks HOF (I'm assuming they have one, or maybe that's just the ring of honor? ) I don't think he's even close to a HOFer, infact I think Curtis Martin shouldn't have made it. Doesn't change the fact that he's a great player.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
It's really going to come down to longevity, and in this day and age, that doesn't bode well for Lynch.

He might end up as a mix of Davis and Bettis for his overall career stats. He already has a longer career than Davis with similar overall stats, Davis was beastly in the playoffs, even more so than Lynch. Bettis just played forever.

Davis 7 years: 7600 yards, 60 tds, 4.6 avg playoffs: 1140 yards, 12 tds. 5.6 avg
Bettis 13 years: 13662 yards, 91 TDs, 3.9 avg playoffs: 674 yards, 9 tds
Lynch 7 years: 7389 yards, 58 tds, 4.2 avg playoffs: 599 yards, 7 tds

Bettis has already been a finalist, so he probably gets in. It's not looking good for Davis.

If Lynch ends up with over 11000 yards, 90 tds, playoffs 1000yards 10TDs 2 rings, it's going to be a debate just like Bettis is now.

evergreen

Reaction score
He'll need to be productive for the next three years and get over 10,000 yards. But playing for a great team can sure help him too. The one thing that can really help him is the Beast Quake run. It is the greatest run in the NFL and it was playoffs. He's getting close to most playoff runs.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ey9mb63 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3ey9mb63 said:
RiverDog":3ey9mb63 said:

Warrick Dunn is over 10,000 rushing, too, been out of the league since 2008 and he hasn't even been nominated. Same with Edgrin James, Tiki Barber, Jamal Lewis, Eddie George, Otis Anderson, Ricky Watters, and Corey Dillion. Jerome Bettis has 13,600 yards, is 6th on the all time rushing leaders, has a ring, and he's not in. The statistical bar at all quantifiable positions has been raised.

I grant you that my 3-4 more 1200 yard seasons might be overstating it a bit, but so is your 10,000 yard threshold, a shoe in if he plays this season and retires statement.

Edgerrin James first year of eligibility is 2015, and he has a good chance to get in over the next few years. 11 years 12246 yds, 80 tds. Good playoff stats 852, 6

zhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":3vabav6n said:
EverydayImRusselin":3vabav6n said:
RiverDog":3vabav6n said:

I know I'm opening a can of worms....but, shaun had a few of those attributes :stirthepot:

Qh, btw, Bettis was awarded a ring.