Grantland: Russell Wilson and the "It Factor"

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If you want to succeed in the NFL, you simply have to have that “It Factor.” The defending Super Bowl champions are led by a quarterback, Russell Wilson, who, Jon Gruden said, “had the ‘it’ factor unlike any quarterback I’ve met.”

[. . .]

Ask 100 personnel executives around the league to name a player with it, and the top two names that are going to come up are Tom Brady and Russell Wilson.

[. . .]

Presented with the most obvious It Factor guys in football, not a single team trusted their read enough to snap up Brady or Wilson with their first- or even their second-round pick. The next time you read about somebody having the It Factor, remember that the professionals couldn’t see it even when it was staring them in the face.

http://grantland.com/features/it-factor ... tangibles/

Entertaining read. Barnwell is pretty spot-on. Wilson and Brady are two of the most prominent "it factor" players in the NFL. Both exhibited those traits in college and yet they were both passed over time and again during their drafts.

So, what say you? Does the "it factor" exist? Does it matter and does Wilson have it? Anyone you think exhibits it better than Brady and Wilson?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The it factor absolutely exists, in all walks of life.

Some people are just born with a magnetic almost palpable personality, and when combined with an insane work ethic and intelligence you get guys like Brady and Wilson.

Cartire

Reaction score
I hate the "it" factor. A subjective term utilized far to frequently. Completely unquantifiable. Its just more jargon used by analysis to make their job easier.

"Oh, this guy wins alot, despite are earlier predictions, must have "it""

If only they would run the "it" test during the combine, they wouldnt have to admit they were wrong.

dusktreader

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's a cop out. It's an easy way to say, "When I denounced Russell Wilson as a waste of a draft pick, a mistake as a starter in week 1, and a guy who would never make it as an NFL quarterback, I wasn't wrong. He just has the 'it' factor that nobody could have predicted"

Except, at least 3 brilliant football minds knew Russell would be great: Gruden, Schneider, and Carroll

I think a huge part of this nebulous "it" factor is the ability to stay calm and focused when things are tough. Watch both Wilson and Brady. When they mess up or when the game is on the line, they play the same or better than ever. That ability to maintain focus shows up big time in the W column at the end of a season.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
While I agree that it's an easy crutch for analysts who prefer to use buzzwords over actual analysis, I don't think that necessarily de-legitimizes the term. Carroll and Schneider both talked about finding a QB who could "tilt the field" before drafting Wilson. "Tilt the field" is honestly just another way of describing "it factor," which I think of as some combination of talent and innate charisma.

I think there is some tangible benefit to be had from a player who can galvanize the players around him, especially in tough situations. That's where I feel "it factor" or the ability to "tilt the field" really comes into play. Does the guy, through pure charisma, personality and make-up, make the players around him believe. Does he make them believe so hard that there's never a subconscious willingness to give up or take a play off? Seems like a legitimate thing to me, and as Sgt. Largent pointed out, something that applies in many areas of life.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":36kqg0g4 said:
While I agree that it's an easy crutch for analysts who prefer to use buzzwords over actual analysis, I don't think that necessarily de-legitimizes the term. Carroll and Schneider both talked about finding a QB who could "tilt the field" before drafting Wilson. "Tilt the field" is honestly just another way of describing "it factor," which I think of as some combination of talent and innate charisma.

I think there is some tangible benefit to be had from a player who can galvanize the players around him, especially in tough situations. That's where I feel "it factor" or the ability to "tilt the field" really comes into play. Does the guy, through pure charisma, personality and make-up, make the players around him believe. Does he make them believe so hard that there's never a subconscious willingness to give up or take a play off? Seems like a legitimate thing to me, and as Sgt. Largent pointed out, something that applies in many areas of life.

I mean, instead of call it "It", couldnt we just say that Athlete is a great football player? I could list all the players on every team that "tilt the field" for their team. And wouldnt you know, its all the best players on each team. What a coincidence.

I get that stats cant tell the whole story of a player. And sometimes, the ball bounces either away or towards you. But the only buzz word that I think is worth any merit is "the eye-test". Sometimes, you can just watch a really good football player excelling over those around him, regardless of the stats. That player is extremely gifted/athletic/smart. Using 'It' just feels lazy to me.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The it factor is real when used correctly to identify those players that just have that special quality that is unquantifiable.

It is used incorrectly and far to frequently though.

endzorn

Reaction score
Guys like Brady and Wilson are able to narrow their focus and remain calm when the pressure amps up. Guys like Cutler, Romo and Stafford are more likely to get trapped by the excitement of the situation and I think that's what the IT factor boils down to. Can we put a number on it? No. But IMO there are people who thrive under pressure because they believe they're more capable than others and they're able to focus when the situation gets more chaotic.

I think Wilson is that type of guy.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
The "it" factor is stupid. Looking back it's obvious how talented Tom Brady and Russell Wilson were in college, but they were passed up in the draft because Wilson was short and Brady had the body of a 40 year old Nascar fan. Now that both have surprisingly succeeded everybody wants to say they succeeded because of some magical "it" factor. BS, they succeeded the same way every great QB has succeeded, through hard work, preparation, and talent.

kearly

Reaction score
"It factor" is real, but is a conglomeration of several parts.

The first is "feel for the game". Some QBs just instinctively know how to play QB in a way that can't be coached.

Another is an aura of supreme competency which makes a team feel that they are never out of a game. The ability to instill confidence and be that Patton / Robert E. Lee type leader that instills absolute belief from the troops no matter how bad it might look in the present.

Another is being mentally tough. Wilson had three fumbles on the road at Arizona, but kept his composure and still routed the Cardinals in what would be his best performance of the season.

"It factor" basically encompasses all of those kind of things. I don't think the term is lazy, it's just inarticulate.

Also, having it factor does not neccessarily make a QB good. Tim Tebow, Jake Plummer, Marques Tuiasosopo, Jake Locker, and Ryan Leaf all had it factor in college, but failed to achieve their potential in the NFL for various reasons.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
kearly":13ntmtcy said:

The first is "feel for the game". Some QBs just instinctively know how to play QB in a way that can't be coached.

Another is an aura of supreme competency which makes a team feel that they are never out of a game. The ability to instill confidence and be that Patton / Robert E. Lee type leader that instills absolute belief from the troops no matter how bad it might look in the present.

Another is being mentally tough. Wilson had three fumbles on the road at Arizona, but kept his composure and still routed the Cardinals in what would be his best performance of the season.

"It factor" basically encompasses all of those kind of things. I don't think the term is lazy, it's just inarticulate.

Also, having it factor does not neccessarily make a QB good. Tim Tebow, Jake Plummer, Marques Tuiasosopo, Jake Locker, and Ryan Leaf all had it factor in college, but failed to achieve their potential in the NFL for various reasons.

My problem is that they seem to only use the "it factor" to define late round picks that unexpectedly succeed. For example, you always hear the term to describe Tom Brady but not Aaron Rodgers.

I will say, your definition actually makes me appreciate the term somewhat.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":mnn71fjc said:

I think of it as this: When all around you is going to shit, Elway, Wilson, Brady, Montana, and a rare few like them not only get better, but have a calming effect on their teammates.

This link kind of explains to me what IT is. And how rare it is, which I think is the point of the article.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...s-what-you-didnt-know-about-montana-to-taylor

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I believe in the "it" factor. I was not on Wilson when we drafted him, but once i saw he had "it" in preseason, I knew he would be special. All talent being equal not all QB's have the same un-quantifiable instincts to make the big play at the exact moment it had to happen. QB's like Cutler and Romo are very talented but just do have that clutch play making ability and aren't able to put the team on their back and carry them to victory.

Just think of the cluth hitter in baseball who's avg is nearly double when he has runners in scoring position, or with two out. Some people just function better under pressure. That little bit of adrenaline can affect some to achieve great things, others towards loosing their minds and making mistakes.

Wilson takes that pressure, harnesses it and turns into 1st downs and TD's, other Incompletions and Int's

Cartire

Reaction score
Does anyone else not see the correlation between 'IT' and winning?

Is it possible to have the 'IT' factor, but just be on a really bad team? Can someone name an Athlete with IT that has a losing career?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":3ebftvug said:

Is it possible to have the 'IT' factor, but just be on a really bad team? Can someone name an Athlete with IT that has a losing career?

Of course there is a correlation. Which is undefinable because "it" has no strict definition. To me, it not only applies to a winner, but to a clutch winner. To others it may mean something else entirely. Which is why it ends up over used.

FWIW, our staff calls "IT" by another term. Tilting the field.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Russell went into his first camp at NC State an unknown freshman base ball player and walked out a starter. He moved on to Wisconsin where guys who had just met him elected him their captain. While he was prepping for the draft he flummoxed John Gruden during his quarterback camp enough to have Gruden pick a fight with Mel Kipper over his "it". He rolled into Seattle and quickly won the confidence of the staff and his teammates. Just yesterday Percy said that Russell has a calmness and confidence in the huddle that is contagious and compared him to Brett Favre. A pro baseball team drafted him just to have him spend time with their recruits. Microsoft not only chose him as their official spokesman they had him address their marketing team. The Navy seals said he was a natural leader and the most impressive athlete they have ever worked with..... and those guys are not easy to impress.

Are you getting the point yet? This kid is walking embodiment of "it".

Cartire

Reaction score
brimsalabim":9a5vmm36 said:
Russell went into his first camp at NC State an unknown freshman base ball player and walked out a starter. He moved on to Wisconsin where guys who had just met him elected him their captain. While he was prepping for the draft he flummoxed John Gruden during his quarterback camp enough to have Gruden pick a fight with Mel Kipper over his "it". He rolled into Seattle and quickly won the confidence of the staff and his teammates. Just yesterday Percy said that Russell has a calmness and confidence in the huddle that is contagious and compared him to Brett Favre. A pro baseball team drafted him just to have him spend time with their recruits. Microsoft not only chose him as their official spokesman they had him address their marketing team. The Navy seals said he was a natural leader and the most impressive athlete they have ever worked with..... and those guys are not easy to impress.

Are you getting the point yet? This kid is walking embodiment of "it".

So say all that. Dont simplify it by calling it 'it'.

The mans done enough, and earned enough respect to not have his accomplishments summed up with a single pronoun.

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":zo77rkf8 said:

Jake Locker.

Jake Plummer before 2005.

There is a little bit of 'it' to Ryan Fitzpatrick, hence the nickname "Fitzmagic". Of course, he's still a pretty bad QB despite that.

John Elway never had a winning season at Stanford. He was .500 or worse in all four of his starting seasons.

Tony Romo is among the all time leaders in 4th quarter comebacks, and he's basically a career .500 starter at QB.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":aomnt86a said:
Cartire":aomnt86a said:

Jake Locker.

Jake Plummer before 2005.

There is a little bit of 'it' to Ryan Fitzpatrick, hence the nickname "Fitzmagic". Of course, he's still a pretty bad QB despite that.

John Elway never had a winning season at Stanford. He was .500 or worse in all four of his starting seasons.

Tony Romo is among the all time leaders in 4th quarter comebacks, and he's basically a career .500 starter at QB.

Wait, are you saying they all have "IT"? Please tell me thats not what you are saying. Cause IT is sounding worse and worse.