Winston released per Crabtree Twitter

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
If he's on the roster for week one his full year's salary becomes guaranteed. If think they didn't want to guarantee $1 million for a player who might not even be active on game day.

Wouldn't surprise me if we brought him back after the opener.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'll bet they have a waiver claim in for depth by the end of the day (doesn't necessarily mean the claim actually happens when a team ahead of them snatches the guy they want to bring in). I also wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to swing a last minute deal (from their surplus linebackers) as well. It could be why they are one of the later teams announcing the cuts.

Just musing the possibilities.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They may be in the market to pick up another vet tackle. Winston Justice is available and he's arguably better than Eric Winston. Or maybe they like the young guys like Bailey, Gilliam, and Britt to hold the fort at tackle.

Mick063

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3bn1g1ns said:
They may be in the market to pick up another vet tackle. Winston Justice is available and he's arguably better than Eric Winston. Or maybe they like the young guys like Bailey, Gilliam, and Britt to hold the fort at tackle.

I forgot about Gilliam. I think he has upside. Converted tight end if I'm not mistaken? Regardless, I think he has nifty feet....LT potential.

This explains it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think this probably means they carry 9 OL instead of 10. Opens a spot for another position group e.g. 6 WR + 5 RB or 6 WR + 3 QB, etc...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow, I thought he would be great depth.

Seattle really does not care what their O-line looks like on paper. Let's hope they are smarter than everyone else. Although in the past couple years I don't know if they could make that claim in regards to the O-line.

drdiags

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":327a258k said:
If he's on the roster for week one his full year's salary becomes guaranteed. If think they didn't want to guarantee $1 million for a player who might not even be active on game day.

Wouldn't surprise me if we brought him back after the opener.

This is a good possibility. The week 1 guarantee is tough for vets like Winston. The NFLPA has to know that teams would play the game of waiving the vets because of this guarantee and try picking them up after week 1 is over.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting......wonder what this means for other positions like WR and RB. Does that mean we are gonna keep an extra person in one of those areas?

kearly

Reaction score
I couple weeks ago I mentioned that Winston getting released would surprise people, but shouldn't. For as flawed as Britt as been, he's been a deserving #1 RT over Winston. Winston did not have a great preseason.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Count me as one who had big hopes for Winston coming back into a ZBS.

Never flashed in preseason, but could be a mid-season bring back if we get hit by the injury bug.

-bsd

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This isn't a case of addition by subtraction. We need a capable backup at RT. I sure hope JS is working some magic here.

Largent80

Reaction score
Crabtree?.....You gonna try me with a tweet from a mediocre hack like Crabtree?....L.O.B.

Latest posts