Potential record-breaking game for the Seahawks

hawknation2014

Reaction score
An NFL record could fall on Thursday. Carroll and the Seahawks are riding a 45-game streak without losing by more than seven points. They coincidentally share this record with Thursday night's opponent, the Green Bay Packers, who went 45 games without losing such a game from 2009-2011.

The streak began for the Seahawks on November 11, 2011 with a 22–17 win over the Baltimore Ravens. Since that day, they have competed hard enough to stay within a touchdown of winning every game. To put this streak in perspective, in the three years before Carroll's arrival, Seattle lost 19 games by more than seven points.

Of course, when Carroll coached at USC, he famously went eight years (October 27, 2001-October 24, 2009) without losing a game by more than seven points. That was a streak that spanned 103 consecutive games.

Win Forever! Always Compete! :th2thumbs:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
"To put this streak in perspective, in the three years before Carroll's arrival, Seattle lost 19 games by more than seven points."

Thank you for sucking Ruskell.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2014":5ww7t7oq said:
An NFL record could fall on Thursday. Carroll and the Seahawks are riding a 45-game streak without losing by more than seven points. They coincidentally share this record with Thursday night's opponent, the Green Bay Packers, who went 45 games without losing such a game from 2009-2011.

The streak began for the Seahawks on November 11, 2011 with a 22–17 win over the Baltimore Ravens. Since that day, they have competed hard enough to stay within a touchdown of winning every game. To put this streak in perspective, in the three years before Carroll's arrival, Seattle lost 19 games by more than seven points.

Of course, when Carroll coached at USC, he famously went eight years (October 27, 2001-October 24, 2009) without losing a game by more than seven points. That was a streak that spanned 103 consecutive games.

Win Forever! Always Compete! :th2thumbs:

Consider the record broken because the Seahawks aren't gonna lose this game.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Rickomatic":2wvek9di said:
I assume we're discounting pre season games?

Unfortunately, the ten-point loss to the Raiders negated the pre-season streak. Had they played better in that game, the streak would stand at 57 consecutive games, including pre-season.

"Lots of people talk about competition, especially those who seek to achieve high performance no matter what the profession. In my experience, however, the real essence of competing is often misunderstood. Competition to me is not about beating your opponent. It is about doing your best; it is about striving to reach your potential; and it is about being in relentless pursuit of a competitive edge."

--Pete Carroll, Win Forever: Live, Work, and Play Like a Champion

There was one aspect of the "Fail Mary Game" that was mostly absent from the post-game discussion. The replacement referees did make the correct call on simultaneous possession, but missed the blatant OPI by Tate. However, the bigger story may have been the fact that a young defense, and an offense led by a rookie quarterback, had competed hard enough to stay within a score of upsetting a talented and battle-tested Green Bay Packers team. When you compete as hard as they did in that game, you give yourself a least a chance to win.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Stupid record logically. Why would you consider wins when counting games that you didn't LOSE by fewer than X number of points. Let me guess, this is something that ESPN came up with...

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2014":v11vgibh said:
Rickomatic":v11vgibh said:

Unfortunately, the ten-point loss to the Raiders negated the pre-season streak. Had they played better in that game, the streak would stand at 57 consecutive games, including pre-season.

"Lots of people talk about competition, especially those who seek to achieve high performance no matter what the profession. In my experience, however, the real essence of competing is often misunderstood. Competition to me is not about beating your opponent. It is about doing your best; it is about striving to reach your potential; and it is about being in relentless pursuit of a competitive edge."

--Pete Carroll, Win Forever: Live, Work, and Play Like a Champion

There was one aspect of the "Fail Mary Game" that was mostly absent from the post-game discussion. The replacement referees did make the correct call on simultaneous possession, but missed the blatant OPI by Tate. However, the bigger story may have been the fact that a young defense, and an offense led by a rookie quarterback, had competed hard enough to stay within a score of upsetting a talented and battle-tested Green Bay Packers team. When you compete as hard as they did in that game, you give yourself a least a chance to win.

I seem to remember some national discussion about that Hail Mary OPI reference. The popular condenses is that it is customary to never make pass interference calls on Hail Mary plays. If an exception had been made in singling out Seattle in that specific case, it that would have been a big national story in it's own right.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
lsheldon":9mo1zlzk said:
Stupid record logically. Why would you consider wins when counting games that you didn't LOSE by fewer than X number of points. Let me guess, this is something that ESPN came up with...

See the quote by Carroll above. Success is not necessarily defined solely by wins. Seven points is relevant because it means a team is within a single score. Staying within that margin is one way to measure the level of a team's willingness to compete. Do they give up when a game seems out of reach? Or do they always compete? Winning is not always within our control. What we can control is our own determination to constantly strive for that competitive edge.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
rideaducati":25dohute said:
Rickomatic":25dohute said:

Nope, full price for those games too.

groucho-marx-4.jpg

warden

Reaction score
rideaducati":1jo56j1c said:
Rickomatic":1jo56j1c said:

Nope, full price for those games too.

Not under the new price structure, my tickets are $110 for top their games, $100 for regular games and $55 for pre season, but my average per game cost is up from last year

Hawknballs

Reaction score
lsheldon":1ev3zx48 said:

Maybe it's a dumb record but this trend was something you could point too in pete's first two seasons here to see that things had improved dramatically even with consecutive 7-9 seasons. The the first year I think we got blown out by nearly 3 touchdowns in losses; the next year it was down to 6 or 7 points. Here comes the boom.

Veilside

Reaction score
This record is one of the things I'm most proud about this team. I don't see how anyone could possibly discount it when it shows that we're literally in every game we play and never give up. That is the true display of a winner. The fact that we're trying to break the Packers record against them makes this game that much more meaningful.

Thanks OP for bring this up! Someone needs to tell Brock & Salk this information to get the hype machine up and running at full power.

warden

Reaction score
lsheldon":2sn90qd7 said:

Nothing stupid at all about it, we have been in a position to win very game in the last 45 games, It no longer matters who, where , how good, what time zone, we are in each and very game.No bad showings. Best part of this team, we compete.