'Hawks re-sign Bryan Walters, waive Phil Bates; + PS moves

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Well that was quick. Although I do think Walters is the more valuable receiver to this team right now.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":8r7znsh1 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/506548690446610432[/tweet]
OK...

Did they save money doing the WR shuffle this way?

Mick063

Reaction score
Natethegreat":11pvojjv said:
Well that was quick. Although i do think Walters is the more valuable receiver to this team right now.

Don't entirely agree. I think Bates is more valuable as a receiver and Walters is more valuable as a returner.

When an intriguing player comes available, or perhaps when Norwood is good to go, or if injuries deplete another position group, I think Walters is the first guy on the chopping block. In other words, I doubt he makes it past the bye.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
sc85sis":38n8y6yl said:
Seahawk Sailor":38n8y6yl said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/506548690446610432[/tweet]
OK...

Did they save money doing the WR shuffle this way?

Walters was likely fielding an offer from another team, so it was either add him to the active roster or lose him. Bates also has PS eligibility.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So yesterday we let Walters go and kept Bates only to release Bates and re sign Walters a day later? What is this buyers remorse? I'm sure it has to do with money but I hope some one can explain.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Mick063":3sjdgiwf said:
Natethegreat":3sjdgiwf said:
Well that was quick. Although i do think Walters is the more valuable receiver to this team right now.

Don't entirely agree. I think Bates is more valuable as a receiver and Walters is more valuable as a returner.

When an intriguing player comes available, or perhaps when Norwood is good to go, I think Walters is the first guy on the chopping block.
I think its pretty clear he is last on the depth chart but i don't see how Bates is more valuable as a receiver. I've actually seen Walters produce in the preseason (and show some elusiveness as well) as opposed to one play by Bates when he was simply not covered by third string cornerbacks.
I know there were rumblings of him improving but he sure hasn't shown a whole lot in actual games. Not saying he can't but personally I think Walters has definitely shown more.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the fact they didn't want Bates picked off in the initial frenzy(hopefully now that rosters are set he falls through) and because Walters could not be stashed on the practice squad

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think it was a plan for the league to settle their 53-man rosters + PS. The next move I see is Steve Terell getting cut from the PS for Phil Bates if he goes unclaimed.

When Walters was cut, I think he became a free agent having been in the NFL for 4 years. So he was dismissed from the Waiver Claiming process.

Bates however was not, and it could very well be a situation where Bates himself wanted to stay in Seattle but first he had to beat the Claim process, in order to get him on the PS. So by waiting two days later, insures the rest of the league has their Roster set and more likely to get Bates to the PS.

kearly

Reaction score
Almost feels like they wanted to keep Walters all along, but wanted to send a message first.

PS rules are pretty confusing. I think Bates is eligible for the PS but only if Seattle maintains a full 53 man roster the entire time or else he loses eligibility.

mikeak

Reaction score
We all make mistakes. They told the secretary to make the paperwork to cut bates and keep Walters and it was done wrong. So they just fixed it....

Veilside

Reaction score
mikeak":13ec0yie said:
We all make mistakes. They told the secretary to make the paperwork to cut bates and keep Walters and it was done wrong. So they just fixed it....

This makes the most sense.