How much will Julius Peppers impact the game?

dusktreader

Reaction score
Reading through Packer forums and their subreddit, they seem to think that Britt is going to have his hands full with Clay Mathews and Julius Peppers. It seems to me that Cliff Avril's speed rush should have prepared Britt a bit for what he will face against Matthews. I think that's going to be a huge challenge for him, and doubtless he will get beat a few times. That's where my faith in Russell Wilson kicks in.

However, it seems like Packer fans are really high on Julius Peppers. I can't help but think that Peppers has lost a step. He's 34, and the Bears cut him when they couldn't find a trade. It looks to me like the Packers went balls deep on an aging Defensive end that they are going to try to re-purpose as a Leo pass rusher. He's spent his whole career playing out of a 4-3 and now he has to learn a 3-4.

I don't think it's going to work out well for them. I am anxious to see how Britt handles pressure from 2 long time vets with a reputation for creating sacks, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this game will be the one where he proves why he was selected as starting Right Guard over a long-time NFL starter.

Largent80

Reaction score
Britt is in baptism by fire mode. Same as the Packers rookie center.

He will have issues dealing with players from time to time. They need more than 2 players to beat us however. The guy next to him (Sweezy) is definitely going to help him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons a expect a ton of 11 personnel with the tight end in help position for Britt.

kpak76

Reaction score
Britt is absolutely the biggest question mark going into this game. We need him to step up big if we plan on beating the Packers.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Britt went against that guy (DeMarcus Ware?) his first game and got worked, But all his mistakes were technique stuff that can be coached, and he's improved every game. Britt is a different player this game than he was four weeks ago. He might get beat once or twice, but I predict the rook will have a good game and Wilson crushes the Pack behind a strong 0-line.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Peppers may get a sack or two.

He will also probably get run over in the run game if he's out there.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
This!

My God, the guy is in the last few years of his career, do they think he's Superman all of the sudden?

My prediction is that Peppers will be a total non factor for most of the game.

GO HAWKS!!!

Cartire":3ehhl66a said:
Youre worried about Grandpa Peppers?

chris98251

Reaction score
12HawkFan":2k5ygwjg said:
This!

My God, the guy is in the last few years of his career, do they think he's Superman all of the sudden?

My prediction is that Peppers will be a total non factor for most of the game.

GO HAWKS!!!

Cartire":2k5ygwjg said:
Youre worried about Grandpa Peppers?

First game of the season he will be fresh, he may not have what he used to have but he doesn't have seasonal wear and tear on him yet, I would not discount his presence.

suppaball

Reaction score
HawkFan72":20sww4s7 said:
Britt will not be out there by himself. Expect a lot of TE help throughout the game.
This he also has Sweezy for help.

I myself am not to worried about Peppers, but Clay on the other hand...

bmorepunk

Reaction score
A rookie is going to handle an All-Pro rusher and a crafty veteran who was an All-Pro not that long ago in his first game?

That is certainly bold.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I actually think they will target Peppers a lot. He's never played OLB .. ask Mario Williams how that went

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1z6wbqls said:
This is one of the reasons a expect a ton of 11 personnel with the tight end in help position for Britt.

On a lot of plays this preseason Zach Miller was effectively playing RT. So glad we got Miller back.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I wouldn't say Peppers will be a complete non-factor, but he's certainly an old dog learning new tricks. He's a good player who is nowhere near where he was in his prime. I think he'll be a solid entry-level test for Britt--one Britt can learn much from, but also excel at if he's really the player we want him to be.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Britt looked pretty damn good. This is looking like another Schnieder steal.

Largent80

Reaction score
ummm...It appears NONE. C'mon Sailor, Peppers is a very experienced player that knows all the moves, he is not old and he has every move down to a science. You cannot say that his skills are not worth something.

I think that Britt needs a little shout out for his play considering it was his first NFL game.