Jim Rome talking "Fail Mary"

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was surprised while listening to Jim Rome this morning that he brought up the famous play vs Green Bay...and actually sounded like a Seahawks fan.

He said that this was a great moment for everyone outside of Green Bay, that Golden Tate "clearly had the ball", and that he likes this play "more than the Immaculate Reception and the Music City Miracle combined."

He said this was one of the great all-time moments in NFL History.

He didn't say a single negative thing about it.

Was quite refreshing to hear from a media big-shot for once.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Jim Rome gets a lot of flack but for the most part he's spot on with everything he says. He doesn't follow the media trends or narratives.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jim Rome Post NFC Title Game

"Don't tell me it wasn't a heavyweight fight, because i know a post-fight interview when i see one. And Richard Sherman might has well have been shirtless, with a belt on both shoulders, and screaming into Larry Merchant's Mic."

So Awesome

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Wow. That came from Jim freaking Rome?

I don't hate the guy like many others do, in fact I rather enjoy his opinions, but this is the last thing I would ever expect him to say.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1s5owzmn said:
Wow. That came from Jim freaking Rome?

I don't hate the guy like many others do, in fact I rather enjoy his opinions, but this is the last thing I would ever expect him to say.

It's probably an effort to generate attention for himself by pissing off Packers fans.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I don't mind Rome myself. But thinking about all the other teams fans I talk to on the regular, almost all take the Packers side. Knowing most of the mediots take the side of more controversy to get attention could this be the ploy here? I didn't hear him so I don't know. Just wondering if that's where some of this could be coming from. He has been known to be semi controversial to say the least.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":17rdxn63 said:
I was surprised while listening to Jim Rome this morning that he brought up the famous play vs Green Bay...and actually sounded like a Seahawks fan.

He said that this was a great moment for everyone outside of Green Bay, that Golden Tate "clearly had the ball", and that he likes this play "more than the Immaculate Reception and the Music City Miracle combined."

Having listened to Rome for many years... he's trolling here. A lot of his takes are draped in sarcasm, this one seems to fit the bill.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Steve2222":2mmgylyd said:
Jim Rome gets a lot of flack but for the most part he's spot on with everything he says. He doesn't follow the media trends or narratives.

That last sentence it's spot on and the reason I like Rome.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am so tired of hearing about this, I just want to kick their asses and be done with it.

And so, it is D O N E.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It's just one of those things that some people can't get over. The other day I heard Dave Wyman on the radio say that he thought "it was probably an interception"...and I just about lost my lunch. It simply defies logic how this is still a controversy. As you all know, there are these things called cameras that can not only take pictures, they can take them so fast that the images they capture actually appear to be moving. Using this technology, you can slow down, or even stop, the motion to analyze the images to see what might be happening if things are going too fast for the human eye.

Now bear with me, but you can actually point multiple cameras in different positions at the SAME THING, which gives you multiple perspectives on your subject! I KNOW, right?! It just so happens that they do this wizardry at ALL NFL games so that plays may be analyzed in order to make the right call if at all possible. Refs on the field, or up in the booth, can instantly access all angles to a play in question to make sure the proper rules are applied and the right call is made.

So the play in question here shows a few things of note:

1. Initially the GB CB, Jennings, had his hands on the ball. He was way up in the air when this happened, meaning that HIS FEET WERE NOT ON THE GROUND.
2. Golden Tate also got his hands on the ball from a lower angle, but his FEET WERE ALSO OFF THE GROUND.
3. For a catch to be ruled a catch in the NFL, both the receiver's feet must land in bounds.
4. In the case of a "simultaneous catch" (see points 1 and 2), whichever person gets both his feet hits the ground FIRST is ruled to be the one who made the reception.
5. The cameras clearly show, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Tate's feet hit the ground first...with his hands grasping the ball.

So, at the end of the day, while a frontal camera angle shows that Jennings got his hands on the ball, as did Tate, his feet were not on the ground and therefore he did not intercept the ball. Was it close to an interception? HELL YES, but that's not how rulings are made. Per the rules, Tate clearly had the touchdown and anyone who disputes that, or simply doesn't understand it, is either dumb or willfully ignorant...or they're trolling (see National Media).

Poop on them.

If one wants to make a controversy out of that game, they should point at the dreadful officiating in the second half that CLEARLY favored Green Bay and allowed them to get back in the game to begin with.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":gvolu30y said:
HawkFan72":gvolu30y said:

Having listened to Rome for many years... he's trolling here. A lot of his takes are draped in sarcasm, this one seems to fit the bill.

I listen to him a lot too, and it was not sarcastic. He seems to genuinely love the play and think it is legit. He was being genuine, or else his sarcasm this time was way off. I kept waiting for him to say "just kidding" or to give a hint that he was being sarcastic...but it never came.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Why was it that only one angle of the TD catch was shown over and over and over day after day? ----> ANY other game ending play would normally be shown from MANY different angles over and over again.

After the game on ESPN, a talking head said IIRC that end of game hail Mary’s don't get called for interference and cited a stat that they had researched that of 84 of these hail Mary’s, only 2 were called as interference.

To me it was VERY obvious that the NFL wanted that play as a good excuse to justify the end of the replacement refs - and they got what they wanted. In other words the "fail Mary" was nothing but pure BS by the NFL.

Sac

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":26p7qzst said:
To me it was VERY obvious that the NFL wanted that play as a good excuse to justify the end of the replacement refs - and they got what they wanted. In other words the "fail Mary" was nothing but pure BS by the NFL.

No. The NFL lost leverage with the real officials and caved because of that play. If anything ESPN and others wanted the replacements gone, but NOT the NFL.

That's probably why the NFL upheld the call on review, and why after the game NFL officials said it was good. Everyone else was poo-pooing the call.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2xedf2zm said:
It's just one of those things that some people can't get over. The other day I heard Dave Wyman on the radio say that he thought "it was probably an interception"...and I just about lost my lunch. It simply defies logic how this is still a controversy. As you all know, there are these things called cameras that can not only take pictures, they can take them so fast that the images they capture actually appear to be moving. Using this technology, you can slow down, or even stop, the motion to analyze the images to see what might be happening if things are going too fast for the human eye.

Now bear with me, but you can actually point multiple cameras in different positions at the SAME THING, which gives you multiple perspectives on your subject! I KNOW, right?! It just so happens that they do this wizardry at ALL NFL games so that plays may be analyzed in order to make the right call if at all possible. Refs on the field, or up in the booth, can instantly access all angles to a play in question to make sure the proper rules are applied and the right call is made.

1. Initially the GB CB, Jennings, had his hands on the ball. He was way up in the air when this happened, meaning that HIS FEET WERE NOT ON THE GROUND.
2. Golden Tate also got his hands on the ball from a lower angle, but his FEET WERE ALSO OFF THE GROUND.
3. For a catch to be ruled a catch in the NFL, both the receiver's feet must land in bounds.
4. In the case of a "simultaneous catch" (see points 1 and 2), whichever person gets both his feet hits the ground FIRST is ruled to be the one who made the reception.
5. The cameras clearly show, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Tate's feet hit the ground first...with his hands grasping the ball.

So, at the end of the day, while a frontal camera angle shows that Jennings got his hands on the ball, as did Tate, his feet were not on the ground and therefore he did not intercept the ball. Was it close to an interception? HELL YES, but that's not how rulings are made. Per the rules, Tate clearly had the touchdown and anyone who disputes that, or simply doesn't understand it, is either dumb or willfully ignorant...or they're trolling (see National Media).

Poop on them.

If one wants to make a controversy out of that game, they should point at the dreadful officiating in the second half that CLEARLY favored Green Bay and allowed them to get back in the game to begin with.

funny I agree, but I was on a Packer board yesterday and one poster kept saying the feet down were irrelevant because A) Jennings touched first-- to which I say it's debatable and watching live for all intents and purposes it was a simultaneous contact. B) They argue that Tate didn't maintain control- that the ball moves in in his possession - To which I see no evidence of this.

Everyone has to admit, if control was made by both parties simultaneously, than whoever touches first gains possession first is all that matters. Unfortunately, people don't want to look at the facts presented.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm sure if the roles were exactly reversed, Seahawks fans would have said it was the right call.

Of this I have been assured.

mikeak

Reaction score
jlwaters1":34waheoi said:
Everyone has to admit, if control was made by both parties simultaneously, than whoever touches first gains possession first is all that matters. Unfortunately, people don't want to look at the facts presented.

Where is that in the rules? If control is made by both at the same time then it is about maintaining control when you go to the ground. If both do then simultaneously caught not who gets to the ground first......

Doesn't change the call on the field just curious due to the "everyone has to admit part"

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MysterMatt":329xfnru said:

Poop on them.

Technically, though just to help your case... according to the Cold Hard Football Facts study on the play.

Golden Tate initiated possession of the ball with his fingertips before Jennings even got to the ball. Tate maintained this possession to the ground, where his butt hit first before Jennings feet did, and in the end Tates leverage and possession on the ball won out because we could see Jennings trying to wrestle the ball away from Tate's grasp.

The only thing that was wrong on that play was Tate's OPI. The catch was Tate's, the call was correct, and Jennings should have knocked down that ball.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
I think a point that has been forgotten here is this:

This isnt some new rule, and its why defenders are taught to knock it down in most cases unless they are going to catch the ball alone. If two players go up for a ball, it goes to the offense every time, its just ignorance of the rules to argue otherwise.
When an offensive player and a defensive player go up for a ball and come down with it as a catch and the offensive player has any control of the ball while they both caught it at the same time, its the offensive players TD, EVERY TIME.

This isnt like Tate just grabbed on to the ball after another player caught it, they went up for the ball and he had some control of the ball, its a TD every time, and this is WELL KNOWN in the referee world.

It would have been called the same way if had you had the best refs in the world out there. You cant give an interception when the offensive player has any control of the ball of course unless he tried wrestling it away after the defender caught it alone.