8 WRs? Why?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone have any theories as to why the FO has decided to keep 8 WRs on the 53 man roster?

To me this seems really odd and lends to asking a few questions. Was/is there some potential trade deal cooking for one of the other WRs or one of the guys we kept i.e.: Lockette, Kearse, Richardson, Baldwin, or Harvin? Is one of the other guys hurt enough to be a concern regarding that player's availability (beside Norwood)? Is there another reason why the team is keeping 2 extra WRs? Are these WRs really the best available athletes for the 53 and likely to be active, even just as ST players? How long do you think it will be until this situation is changed and the roster numbers at WR are reduced to a normal roster level of 6?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think there could be a combination of factors that play into why the team kept extra receivers. Anything right now would be just a guess, but I'd assume that injuries will eventually thin out a position which will force our hand at some point.

Cartire

Reaction score
The way I look at it, there is 7 inactive regardless from the 53 every game. So those 7 have zero chance of seeing game time regardless of their backup positions. Im sure that at minimum, 2 WR's will be inactive, and wouldnt be surprised if it was 3.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think you're seeing where our best special teams players are at. Plus we are at two tight ends and only 3 running backs. Expect a decent amount of 3 and 4 wide with miller in to block with Britt.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think they're still unsure if they want Thomas to return punts full time and want to test him and Walters in real game time scenarios.

Norwood's surgery hung things up and they want to see how he responds.

Cutting Walters, then releasing Bates was Roster gamesmanship to keep Bates off of initial rosters for other teams.

Bates re-signing to active roster was because of Jeanpierre injury. Someone had to take his place and there wasn't enough time to get a realistic O-Lineman in there.

I think it'll sort itself out after this game.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
The team is emphasizing offense this year given the emergence of our third year quarterback and the NFL tightening up on the way they call defensive fouls. That's what it looks like to me, anyway. Also, guys like Lockette and Walters were kept as starters on special teams, and not for their skills as a WR.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cause normally we'd keep six, but we don't want to cut Norwood, so he's seven......and we need Walters as a backup punt and KO returner, so he makes eight.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q41vynvp said:
Cause normally we'd keep six, but we don't want to cut Norwood, so he's seven......and we need Walters as a backup punt and KO returner, so he makes eight.

This exactly, and the fact that the guys we kept play special teams better than the guys we cut.

seacat1

Reaction score
King Dog":1tiyo92r said:
Suspension coming for one of our wr's? No idea.

Does anyone know why Percy took 3 days off last week? I know they said personal business but that is what was said about Wes Welker when he was in D.C. appealing his suspension.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of the unpleasant suspension possibility. If that were so it would genuinely screw things up.

Melencause

Reaction score
I think they just lost JeanPierre and they picked up someone they are familiar with for this game. I doubt we have 8wr for week 2's game.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
seacat1":2nasp45r said:
King Dog":2nasp45r said:

Does anyone know why Percy took 3 days off last week? I know they said personal business but that is what was said about Wes Welker when he was in D.C. appealing his suspension.

Percy Harvin is a crack fiend!

dusktreader

Reaction score
seacat1":wjjkmdj5 said:
King Dog":wjjkmdj5 said:

You shut your damn mouth! That is far too terrifying to think about.

Cartire

Reaction score
seacat1":2v8drjv8 said:
King Dog":2v8drjv8 said:

WHO IS THIS GUY!?!?

Jacknut16

Reaction score
seacat1":1r6vmwfk said:
King Dog":1r6vmwfk said:

Several people talking about possible suspension over at Field Gulls.

Hope its just speculative.