A few takeaway from the game

Hawks46

Reaction score
I reverted to fan boy mode this game. I got so caught up in watching the game like a fan, that I didn't concentrate on specifics, so my stuff is general.

If Percy Harvin stays healthy......good grief. Seriously, I'm not sure how teams defend us. This guy is athletically insane. Funny thing, Harvin was considered an attitude problem in Minny. The guy has always been ultra competitive. Now, he just fits in; he's not any more competitive than any other guy on our roster, he's just one of the most athletic.

I was bitching about our defense. it seemed like Rodgers and co. had an easier time than our offense had, then I looked and the Packers had 156 total yards at the end of the 3rd quarter. WTF ? Are my expectations too high ? I'd like 3rd downs cleaned up (not thrilled about giving up a 3rd and 12), but honestly, Nelson had 4 catches matched up on Maxwell, and Max had a pick. Most of the damage we saw was from checkdowns when we were in a soft zone (argh, I hate it), or from Cobb being matched up on Lane and Burley. Seriously, there's a reason Rodgers is so good, he'd see the matchup and not even look off of it.

Lane is a 3rd string CB and Burley signed a week ago. I think both get better with playing time and I'm not worried about it.

Lynch looks damn good, as does our interior OL.

It's disgusting how much holding the Packers OL gets away with. I saw 4 egregious holds in the 1st half alone. Maybe it's just ratings non calls but wtf, Packers fans have no reason to bitch. I saw one tackle from behind and 3 shoulder pads being pulled out of jerseys.

This game would've been over at half if Thomas knew how to fair catch. Seroiusly, take away a TD. I think the Packers give up in the middle of the 3rd quarter instead of the middle of the 4th quarter. I'm not being a homer.....look at the body language and the defense on Lynch's 2nd TD run. Even Matthews was just shaking his head on the sidelines, and he's one of the most competitive guys in the league.

mikeak

Reaction score
That tackle from behind was so blatant that I convinced myself I didn't understand the rules right and was planning on looking it up tomorrow. Seriously

Exittium

Reaction score
I'm still at a loss about half the greenbay D going after percy's hip AFTER the whistle was blown..

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I know you basically said it isn't a worry but Lane can be a starting CB in this league. If anything he's playing out of place as a Nickel, yet he'll likely be one of the better NCB in the NFL.

I just don't see how you kind of gave Maxwell a pass and then kind of put blame on Lane who played with a groin injury. I thought Lane did well for the most part and certainly as good as anybody on the field today on both teams not named Richard Sherman.

You could definately notice a drop off of talent from Lane to Burley... but Burley looked like he had some potential to be a player once he gets some experience and time with the L.O.B.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1vcjcnt6 said:
I know you basically said it isn't a worry but Lane can be a starting CB in this league. If anything he's playing out of place as a Nickel, yet he'll likely be one of the better NCB in the NFL.

I just don't see how you kind of gave Maxwell a pass and then kind of put blame on Lane who played with a groin injury. I thought Lane did well for the most part and certainly as good as anybody on the field today on both teams not named Richard Sherman.

You could definately notice a drop off of talent from Lane to Burley... but Burley looked like he had some potential to be a player once he gets some experience and time with the L.O.B.

PC and JS need to put in a call to Champ Bailey.

McG

Reaction score
Exittium":tt867ong said:
I'm still at a loss about half the greenbay D going after percy's hip AFTER the whistle was blown..

Yeah the one where AJ Hawk came in after he was down and basically speared him? I was freaking out, but they didn't really show it very well, nor did they talk about it on TV, but Harvin actually fumbled. When I say I was freaking out, I mean my wife kept asking if everything was okay during the ET fumble, the few horrible holding/cheap shots by the GB OL, and the Bobby Wagner, "why is he 50 yards down field one-on-one with a WR", PI call. That was all made up by the way we played and how the Packers quit.

themunn

Reaction score
McG":xp3k977k said:
Exittium":xp3k977k said:

Yeah the one where AJ Hawk came in after he was down and basically speared him? I was freaking out, but they didn't really show it very well, nor did they talk about it on TV, but Harvin actually fumbled. When I say I was freaking out, I mean my wife kept asking if everything was okay during the ET fumble, the few horrible holding/cheap shots by the GB OL, and the Bobby Wagner, "why is he 50 yards down field one-on-one with a WR", PI call. That was all made up by the way we played and how the Packers quit.

More importantly, 50 yards downfield with COBB. He's not quite as talented, but that'd be like putting AJ Hawk on Harvin.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Burley's been here for about 3 minutes, so you have to give him a pass. It'll be interesting to see who's available to play CB next week. Hoping there are more options. Nelson had a good game and was a good first test for our guys.

Polk738

Reaction score
If I really had to complain about something it would be Earl's fumble, I was so pissed when that happened and knew if he would've just called fair catch everything would've been fine. When GB scored, I realized that was the first, first quarter TD allowed by Seattle since probably 2012-so to have them score on a whiff by ET was irritating. Walters needs to do punt returns regardless of how hard headed ET thinks he is.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":1araihla said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1araihla said:

PC and JS need to put in a call to Champ Bailey.
Champ Bailey? Never heard of her.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1439eb6i said:

I'm not giving Maxwell a "pass" but when anyone holds GB's top WR to 5 catches for 40 yards, I'm not bitching. Nelson ran a lot of option routes on Max, which is going to give him trouble. Maxwell really wants to just funnel a guy to the sidelines. He's still one of the stiffer guys out there with his hips, and option routes are his bane. At least half of Nelson's receptions were in soft zone, where Maxwell was obviously told to keep Jordy Nelson in front of him. This works when we can hold GB's run game down like we did, erase the other side of the field, and limit what Cobb can do.

Maxwell did a great job of limiting yac. Cobb was their best yac guy and it showed up in this game as well. So if you entice Rodgers to throw to Nelson first, you have a better chance of limiting their total YAC.

Burley flashed well and didn't look out of place, he just didn't look like he was playing fast. Which I can't blame the guy, he's been here for a week. He's just figuring out where his locker is at. He might end up being a better nickle cb than Lane, PH's point above is well taken in that Lane is more natural outside.