What exactly is a game manager?

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Anyone, please give your definition here..........

Basis4day

Reaction score
When analysts use the term they refer to a QB that doesn't make mistakes but doesn't contribute any play-making ability of his own. The QB's success is therefore strictly a result of players around him rather than his own talent.

Think Brad Johnson with the 2002 Bucs or Trent Dilfer with the 2000 Ravens.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
To me, a game manager QB is one that successfully executes the given game plan with a minimum of errors.

Largent80

Reaction score
A Game Manger typically gets set up on on the lawn of the Seahawks opposing teams lawn. Usually in December.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Largent80":35rn4nm1 said:
A Game Manger typically gets set up on on the lawn of the Seahawks opposing teams lawn. Usually in December.

Well played.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Game managers win football games. "Elite" Qb's not so much....I.E. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees 0-3 this weekend. I'm glad we got us some RW.

Go Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dm_090913_nfl_mcnabb_trent.jpg

drdiags

Reaction score
There are 3, maybe 4 classes of QBs:

1 - Subpar - This type of QB has more INTs vs TDs and a very low YPA. He usually is out of the league in a couple years.
2 - Mediocre/Average - This type of QB is at most a veteran back-up or could have started at some point in his NFL career.
3 - Game Manager - This type of QB can start and win in the NFL. His limitations are such that the FO will continue to try to replace him for a long-term Franchise QB type. He also may be classified this if his physical skills have eroded over time.
4 - Elite/Franchise QB - This type of QB is considered unique and has rare qualities that make grown men swoon. He usually is smart, strong-armed and/or deadly accurate. He fits a mold football people expect when talking about the position. This means a pocket-passer, tall, strong-armed and smart. Courageous in the face of pressure (think of the nickname Stonewall Jackson or the painting of Washington crossing the Potomac).

For those that desire Elite QBs to follow, a Game-Manager is someone who plays it safe. Boring and usually unsuccessful when attempting to perform heroically. At least that is how I view those that use these terms.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ah, c'mon James. What does that have to do with the topic?... :lol:

I'm sorry but I have been called out for typos and this one wasn't even attempted to be corrected.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
As it applies to our own Russell Wilson, a "Game Manager" is a player who can accurately assess which of his options will do the most damage to the opposing defense on any given play, which often involves turning a throwing opportunity into a rushing one, which lowers Wilson's attempts, yards, and touchdowns from those of a pure passer.

Bevell calls the plays, but most of them have several possible outcomes depending on how Wilson decides to run them. This is different to a player like Manning who calls the plays for his team but has definite outcomes to the plays he calls. The fundamental difference is that Manning will call the play at the line of scrimmage, whereas Wilson effectively calls the play post-snap. This means Wilson has assess the situation and make the correct decision between the snap and the handoff.

The advantage is that Wilson gets to see how the defense actually responds to the offensive release before dictating the play. This is markedly different to Manning's pre-snap calls which can be intercepted by the defense which can then shut him down as witnessed in SB XVIII. Wilson does not signal his intention; he executes the best option.

In my opinion it's more difficult to make the read and decision in the brief moment between the snap and the handoff than it is to execute a planned play. Wilson and the people around him have to be on the same page without audible or visual cues from each other.

Instead of beating you with his arm, which Wilson is certainly capable of, he, like River Tam, can kill you with his brain.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The term "Game Manager" as used by the so called experts refer to a QB who is limited, has some deficiency to one aspect of being a QB. They typically cannot win a game for you, but can loose them. As the facts and stats have shown Wilson is not a game manager under this definition.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I like to think of "game manger" as one of the skills or abilities that a great QB has.
As others above have stated, when the talking heads use it, it's generally not a good thing.
IMHO I'd hate to have a QB that can't manage the game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
In today's NFL, the guy that fits the game manager description the best is Alex Smith. He's slightly better than average but not elite.

seedhawk

Reaction score
True definition of a game manger is what we led the donkos to in the SB. They found it unpalatable and choked!

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think the term Game Manager originated from lazy analysts who needed a generic term to describe the success of teams that were doing very well despite not having a hyped up over rated Quarterback.

By definition a "Game Manager" is the job description of the QB. The game is largely in their hands and they need to manage it correctly, and make the correct decisions in order to win.

Somehow they have turned the definition of what a good QB should be into some kind of negative term. It seems they feel that the QB should be a hero and go above and beyond managing the game for the highest chance to win. The QB should take risks, they should try to make huge low percentage plays, and all of their mistakes can be ignored even if they lose because they are "Elite" not a "Game Manager".

There are many terms that could more intelligently and accurately describe specific "Game Manger" QB's. You could say efficient, smart, conservative, crafty, or just be brutally honest about bad QB's like Trent Dilfer and say they are being carried by the defense and their job is to just try to not screw it all up.

Instead we just have this generic term which probably 90% of NFL fans think Wilson belongs to the category "Game Manager". They use it as a reason why he's not as good as guys like Andrew Luck. It's the easiest way to underrate a QB for ignorant fans and media analysts, it requires no examples or facts it's a lazy disgrace to intelligent thought processes.

If I had it my way the term "Game Manager" should be banned from anything related to the NFL, it's used incorrectly considering ALL QB's should be Game Managers, that's their job. I just think it's a stupid term and it's gotten out of control with stupid fans and media. Like I said up top it's just a lazy way to describe a successful team's QB when he's not over rated and over hyped.

There's plenty of more intelligent and specific ways to describe a QB than something so stupid like "Game Manager". If Trent Dilfer and Russell Wilson are both considered Game Managers and one of them is below average and one of them is in my opinion ELITE, then you have a serious problem with this term and how it is being applied.

Smellyman

Reaction score
it must mean you are one of the best play makers in the game that D players hate playing and Dcoordinators hate preparing for.