Seahawks and the Wedge Defense.

billio155

Reaction score
From here on out I will be referring to our defense as the wedge. Let me explain why. A while back I wrote a post that claimed Richard Sherman is the best CB in the league because he closes down a right handed quarterbacks favored side, the right side, thus creating a wedge of available passing space that starts at the right tackle and extends down the left sideline about ten to twelve yards,(Sherman's presence allows Earl Thomas to shade to the left, further condensing the wedge,)
In the Super Bowl Denver attacked the available space in the wedge, short yardage passes across the middle, and short to intermediate passes down the left, and moved the ball in short clips that wracked up yards but ultimately failed as the defense condensed the wedge tighter and tighter as the game went along.
On Thursday we saw Green Bay try the same approach, targeting passes over the short middle and along the left sideline. And they walked right into the trap that the wedge defense sets, the space shrinks over time as defensive players no longer have to worry about two thirds of the field.
Likewise, Bennett and Avril line up on the right side on passing downs condensing the pocket and forcing the quarterback left, further condensing the available passing space.
What we are watching is something truly remarkable, future Hall of Fame Qb's are throwing exclusively to a tiny sliver of space because they refuse to challenge two players on our defense, Sherman and Thomas. Did any one see Rogers pump his fist after he hit an intermediate pass across the middle? You would have thought he had won the game. That is how far we are into their heads.
Thus you have the wedge defense. You heard it here first.

Go Hawks!

Lxx

Reaction score
All worship the great wall of text

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I think you're mistaken if you think every team is going to avoid Sherman like Green Bay did.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, so what, Denver will have the "Wedgie" Defense because South Park is in Colorado.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Every zone defense has natural holes in it. Seattle's D is particularly good at making sure those holes are the more difficult throws to make. Sherman gives away the back shoulder throw all the time. That is a damn hard pass to make.