Coach Richard

Largent80

Reaction score
I think Richard needs a shout out as he is mainly responsible for our defensive backfield.

In the coming weeks he has to get Thomas up to speed. He had about 3 or 4 days to get Burley into the lineup and he played fairly well considering.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Largent80":2tvdes8h said:
I think Richard needs a shout out as he is mainly responsible for our defensive backfield.

In the coming weeks he has to get Thomas up to speed. He had about 3 or 4 days to get Burley into the lineup and he played fairly well considering.

Great post - agreed 100%! I believe Richard is in line to be the next DC once Quinn leaves for a head coaching job.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
People think we just get these guys and plug them in because it is P & J.

Credit needs to be given to the unsung heroes and that takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I certainly appreciate him, and the rest of our coaches that are not in the spotlight. See, there are 83 people that have viewed this thread and only you and I making a comment. It isn't a sexy topic, but there are reasons our players play the way they do.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
While we are at it add DB assistant coach Marquand Manuel (probably safety coach) and Passing Game Coordinator Rocky Seto.

Also, what is crazy for how relatively known Marquand Manuel is for his career, had he not gotten injured during Superbowl XL, the Seahawks would have won that game... refs going against them or not.

Manuel was an unsung hero of 2005 after Hamlin went down and I think at times he was the most consistent DB that year. Unspectacular but heads up steady play, and it wasn't by chance that Michael Boulware had his best and only good season as a DB with Manuel next to him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
One of my greatest fears is losing this guy.

Well, greatest fear as a sports fan.

Richard is clearly part of the reason for the incredible success of this defense, notably the incredible performance of a secondary in a time they are doing everything they can to change the rules to favor the offense.

We are lucky to have the guy, and he does not get the credit he deserves. Though I fear that when he does, we will lose him anyway.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kgv4idp said:
One of my greatest fears is losing this guy.

Well, greatest fear as a sports fan.

Richard is clearly part of the reason for the incredible success of this defense, notably the incredible performance of a secondary in a time they are doing everything they can to change the rules to favor the offense.

We are lucky to have the guy, and he does not get the credit he deserves. Though I fear that when he does, we will lose him anyway.

Remember though PC is on record stating he embraces and champions the promotion of his assistants, going so far as to proclaim it as a recruiting incentive. He wants future assistant coaches to know that, just like their player development philosophy, coaches will be put in the best position to succeed and ultimately be high-priority targets for promotions either with us or other teams. Richard is a pure branch off the Carroll coaching tree, going back to his playing days for Pete at USC. When Richard inevitably moves up and on, PC will have another equally capable branch ready to graft in. It is the results of Winning Forever and should be seen as part of our success.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yep. Pete promises he will do what he can to help guys get their dream job--and to compete to keep them if they get another offer. I know at USC he actually conducted mock interviews with staff providing each other feedback. I'd guess he does the same in Seattle.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":14kadtaq said:

Richard is next in line when Quinn leaves for a coaching gig. Dude is top notch.

McGruff

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":npafr74t said:
Largent80":npafr74t said:

Great post - agreed 100%! I believe Richard is in line to be the next DC once Quinn leaves for a head coaching job.

Um, yeah . . . what he said.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":o54aaw3i said:
While we are at it add DB assistant coach Marquand Manuel (probably safety coach) and Passing Game Coordinator Rocky Seto.

Also, what is crazy for how relatively known Marquand Manuel is for his career, had he not gotten injured during Superbowl XL, the Seahawks would have won that game... refs going against them or not.

Manuel was an unsung hero of 2005 after Hamlin went down and I think at times he was the most consistent DB that year. Unspectacular but heads up steady play, and it wasn't by chance that Michael Boulware had his best and only good season as a DB with Manuel next to him.

It was Holmgren's belief before the game that Manuel was going to be SB MVP. Told him so in the elevator before the game.