Jet sweep is trending

Perfundle

Reaction score
Has anyone outside of Harvin run a jet sweep in the NFL? There are similar plays like end-arounds, but for those there's a delay between when the QB gets the ball and when he hands it off, whereas it's practically instantaneous for the jet sweep. I did notice a jet sweep-like motion run by Fitzgerald last night, where he swung around to the other side and almost caught a TD from Palmer.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Here's another nice take from the author:

[...]You know what really interests me? The Seahawks dared the Packers to pass. Does that make any sense schematically? I guess it does if you think you can stop the pass. The Seahawks march to the beat of a different drummer. They know who they are and what they do, and they play accordingly. They’re not copy cats. They’re original. That’s impressive.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Perfundle":2lcg640n said:
Has anyone outside of Harvin run a jet sweep in the NFL? There are similar plays like end-arounds, but for those there's a delay between when the QB gets the ball and when he hands it off, whereas it's practically instantaneous for the jet sweep. I did notice a jet sweep-like motion run by Fitzgerald last night, where he swung around to the other side and almost caught a TD from Palmer.

Patriots ran it with Edelman in the game I saw.

ringless

Reaction score
I hope the Cards run it with John Brown and his 4.28 speed. He has excellent foo work and shiftiness. Two times it looked like we were going to run but did not. I don't see why it wouldn't be as effective as what Percy accomplished. Even without the big gains it could still slow down the pass rush. Tire out a defense. And add some extra stress

kearly

Reaction score
Emmanuel Sanders had one on SNF.

On MNF, there was a jet sweep fake to Fitz that turned into a near TD pass to Fitz.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The Jet Sweep was used alot when Percy was playing with the Vikings, and I'm pretty sure Bevell is the guy that helped get that going with Harvin.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I may be an idiot, but what is the exact difference between a jet sweep and an end around? One is in the slot, one is at WR?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1180yqc8 said:
I may be an idiot, but what is the exact difference between a jet sweep and an end around? One is in the slot, one is at WR?

I believe its when the WR gets the ball.. on a jet sweep they are essentially the running back, on an end around they are behind both the QB and RB when they get the football.

EDIT: Here's a great link comparing the jet sweep to the end around and reverse.. it also breaks down a few plays ran out of that tree

http://www.theonlycolors.com/2013/12/5/ ... ve-defense

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Anyone can try to run the jet sweep... but no one else can run a jet sweep that involves the compounding threat of Russell and Beast.

Sorry but running a jet sweep with Carson Palmer, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning just ain't gonna turn defenses in side out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xabr4ifo said:

A jet sweep has the WR/RB going in motion before the snap. End around starts with the snap.

The Fly sweep is the same as the Jet sweep, but the QB is in the shotgun (the article linked incorrectly labeled this once).

We're deadly at the Fly sweep because we can fake the sweep and go inside zone run with Lynch, execute the sweep, or fake the sweep, fake the inside zone run and execute the zone read with Wilson. Oh, then we can also throw the PA pass ala Lockette. Just ask Prisco, it's so gimmicky.

-Pete-

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1666rgo6 said:
Anyone can try to run the jet sweep... but no one else can run a jet sweep that involves the compounding threat of Russell and Beast.

Sorry but running a jet sweep with Carson Palmer, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning just ain't gonna turn defenses in side out.

This^^^

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
-Pete-":q5oi44bm said:
LawlessHawk":q5oi44bm said:

This^^^

It's truly hard to imagine Tom Brady taking the handoff and running end-around... LOL!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I have to say, I love the counter trey option off the jet that MSU employed. With the improved mobility at OG, Seattle could pull that off rather fantastically.

Hoping to see that variant at some point. Maybe a package with Christine Michael when healthy. It would be deadly with his combination of size and speed.

Otherwise, I have to agree that Seattle's ability to leverage plays off the jet sweep, whether inside power run, or QB keeper or step back and throw over the top, really makes the introduction at it's most effective. There are so many plays that can be run off the jet fake that Seattle can take full advantage of due to personnel. It all starts with a player of Harvin's ability and versatility, but is elevated to an entirely new level when you marry that concept with the ability and dedication to the power inside run, athletic interior linemen and a mobile QB who is also deadly with the deep pass.

The tools at Bevell's disposal here are almost limitless. I can't wait to see how this offense elevates to the next evolution.

frosted21

Reaction score
The Vikings have been using the Jet Sweep for a number of years, with Harvin and now Flash.