PFF article on Sherman, Revis, and Peterson - LOL!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/509756649025056771[/tweet]

PFF just wrecked Peterson in that Tweet, haha. Absolutely hilarious.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -week-1-2/

Pro Football Focus":1tde6gcq said:
Revis is now with a new team in another new defensive scheme and Peterson is playing his first games with a new cornerback partner in Arizona that takes some of the pressure off him to be the one guy the team feels confident in matching up with opposing threats. The net result of this in Week 1 action was that none of the three was used to track receivers. All three players played primarily at left corner – we can finally start to analyze each player on closer to a level playing field.

Good read. Sounds like some analysts have been annoyed by Sherman detractors using following #1s all the time as an excuse to try and mitigate his excellence. :D

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Interesting, is that why Sherman tweeted on Monday:

Richard Sherman @RSherman_25 · Sep 8
Looks like everyone is keeping their corners on their side.... That makes me laugh ....#Trendsetters

ManBunts

Reaction score
I honestly never felt like there was much merit to this debate, except perhaps to entertain me in the offseason. Despite the numerous intangibles about Peterson's "superior athleticism" and Revis' "presence", at the end of the day it comes down to the win, and the stats in support of. Sherman led the stats, and the Hawks won it all. That's kind of an end to the discussion in my book.

No knocking Peterson's potential or Revis' past. Revis was the gold standard, and Peterson may very well be it in the future. But in the now, it's all Sherman

byau

Reaction score
I do like listening to First Take and Skip and Stephen A. That being said, it really bothers me how much they talk about corners needing to cover the #1 receiver to be considered the best.

Seriously ... why does a CB need to cover the #1 receiver? If zone works better than man, and it wins you ..oh I don't know .. SUPER BOWLS, why not stick to it?

I've brought up before the idea of baseball. You don't see the left fielder and right fielder switch places when the batters switch from left handed to right handed. People learn to be experts at their position and play it. Nothing wrong with that AND it works.

Funny that after all the other CBs and other media analysts trash Sherman for not covering the # 1, it looks like maybe defensive coaches are starting to realize perhaps the Hawks are on to something and will start switching to the Hawks style of D.

JS/PC = Doing things that buck the trend.

Bucking the trend = one reason why history of teams not repeating the SB is not a strong argument

Go HAWKS!

gulliver

Reaction score
ManBunts":1z6pq2kw said:
I honestly never felt like there was much merit to this debate, except perhaps to entertain me in the offseason. Despite the numerous intangibles about Peterson's "superior athleticism" and Revis' "presence", at the end of the day it comes down to the win, and the stats in support of. Sherman led the stats, and the Hawks won it all. That's kind of an end to the discussion in my book.

No knocking Peterson's potential or Revis' past. Revis was the gold standard, and Peterson may very well be it in the future. But in the now, it's all Sherman
Wordup to this.

The evolution of the CB debate went like this:

Post-NFC Championship Game: Sherman's the best CB in the game.
Early Offseason: Peterson's pretty good too.
Mid Offseason: Peterson gives up more stats but he also tracks receivers, and he's more athletic!
Late Offseason: Peterson gives up more stats AND he's better.

Basically I think non-Seahawks fans want to believe something that is (a) more interesting than what their eyes tell them, and (b) takes the Hawks down a peg (not because they're the Hawks, just because they're the current champions).

We'll see how that continues to unfold now that the excuses are gone.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If a CB needs to track the #1 WR to call himself the best corner, doesn't it stand to reason that a WR needs to go up against the best CB all game to call himself the best WR?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope the Cards continue to keep Peterson on one side, then everyone can see that he's inferior to Sherman. 8)

chrispy

Reaction score
This debate is only loud in the offseason. No one pokes the sleeping tiger during the season. How is it that Revis and Peterson get better than Sherm every off season? Then Sherm is better than them during play tome.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Basis4day":3bq1ughp said:
If a CB needs to track the #1 WR to call himself the best corner, doesn't it stand to reason that a WR needs to go up against the best CB all game to call himself the best WR?

Good point.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Like most of you, I think Sherman is the superior cornerback, but the simple truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter. He's good enough.