PR Update: Walters to be main PR going forward.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Might use Earl situationally, but they'll start with Walters in SD. Baldwin also possibility on occasion.

Per Pete Presser.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
You got to love how quick Pete recognizes when things aren't going as planned and makes a change. Other coaches might have let ego and stubbornness get in the way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He had a shot, it didn't work. He just didn't look comfortable doing it, and I can't see in any way how it was a good choice to have him out there. Way too much risk. But, as usual, PC is doing the right thing for the team.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
For those attacking posters supporting doing this very thing I guess Pete saw the same thing after all. I thought it was pretty obvious he just did not have natural ability /feel to return punts.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3a42ltw2 said:
For those attacking posters supporting doing this very thing I guess Pete saw the same thing after all. I thought it was pretty obvious he just did not have natural ability /feel to return punts.

Funny that's not what Pete said, but if it makes you feel better, then by all means, go with that explanation

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Happy to hear this.. still puzzled as to why Paul Richardson isn't getting a shot though.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3j7dhyq3 said:
Happy to hear this.. still puzzled as to why Paul Richardson isn't getting a shot though.

I'm sure every available skill player had a shot in OTAs/training camp/practice. If you don't see a guy competing for that spot now, it's likely because they couldn't do it on the practice field. IMO, it takes a lot more than speed/quickness to be a great punt returner. Just being able to field a punt is a skill entirely in itself, something that even Percy Harvin is said to struggle with.

I'm sure Richardson, Lockette and C-Mike all had their shots.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
LOVE IT. Nice that we can now watch our punt returner get lit up and not have to worry about how an injury could drastically change our Super Bowl chances. Plus, Walters may be better than ET at it in the first place.

P-Rich seems suited for it with his hands and speed but he's never done it, plus I think Pete's worried that if a stadium gets a 5 mph gust in it, that'll knock Richardson over when trying to run one back

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Walters is no better than Thomas was. He fumbled punts too. Raiders preseason game as a matter of fact. However, I like this move because it may keep ET fresher by focusing just on defense. Let him hit instead of taking hits.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":8l1n3aa3 said:
Walters is no better than Thomas was. He fumbled punts too. Raiders preseason game as a matter of fact. However, I like this move because it may keep ET fresher by focusing just on defense. Let him hit instead of taking hits.
absolutely the way I see it,.....Walters will be pretty reliable as our PR,...and let Earl concentrate on what he does best

chihawk

Reaction score
I don't understand why he would have taken the risk in the first place, but I'm very happy that he came to his senses and took him off of PR duties.....cringed every single time I saw him step back to return one.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ulb24oo said:

No, actually he fumbled a kickoff return and it was his only fumble. Also, I believe it's important to note that the fumble is not what caused Earl to stop returning punts. The fumble wasn't his own fault. Also, before anyone says that kickoffs and punt returns are pretty much the same, they should refer to harvin's pre season comments on how much different they are

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
This is purely my observation... so take it with a grain of salt. But when watching that game you could visibly see that first punt, and then the fumble got in Earls head and he was just not as dynamic in his normal roll the rest of the game. Re-watch the game after that with a focus on Earl and he is just not the ball-hawking force of nature he normally is after that fumble. The team cannot afford to have its best defender standing back there wondering what might have been, instead of being totally focused on ruining Aaron Roger's day from a defensive standpoint. I believe the coaching staff quickly realized this and now have made the change. I feel bad for him, but perhaps he'll get another shot later in the season when things are a little more sorted.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I am okay with this. Lets see if Bryan is able to take this opportunity and run with it.

Escamillo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":lyarhejf said:
He had a shot, it didn't work. He just didn't look comfortable doing it, and I can't see in any way how it was a good choice to have him out there. Way too much risk. But, as usual, PC is doing the right thing for the team.

It wasn't "too much risk". All-pro dbs like Mel Blount, Dionne Sanders, and our own Kenny Easley returned punts and/or kickoffs. Even the great Patrick Peterson used to return kicks. :p

But yeah, if Earl wasn't "comfortable" doing it, then let someone else.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Matter of opinion, you have yours, I have mine, it's all good. Possibly the best player on the defense, and the QB of the defense. No thanks, keep him at Safety. I hear what you're saying, and that's part of it, he did seem uncomfortable at it, and I think Pete said pretty much just that. Also that it was taking away from his Safety job as well.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Well that is a load of controversy over. At least Earl got a crack at it. Always compete. I wonder why Locket couldn't do this. Is he not shifty enough. He has the speed.