Will Teams Continue to Target Byron Maxwell?

raisethe3

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks took care of business against the Green Bay Packers on the opening night of the NFL season by a score of 36-16. Offensive explosion? Defensive dominance? Yes…and yes.

What was the key on defense? Many factors, but as usual, Richard Sherman was in the mix. Or was he?

This is where the cornerback is very difficult to specifically evaluate. Sherman had a grand total of zero tackles against the Packers. Of course, you are not going to get many tackles when Aaron Rodgers doesn’t throw the ball your way.

Rodgers threw plenty of balls at Byron Maxwell. Maxwell was on Jordy Nelson, and Rodgers targeted him 11 times. Nelson caught nine balls for 83 yards.

So, the debate continues. Were the Packers picking on Maxwell, or avoiding Sherman? You be the judge!

Source:

http://emeraldcityswagger.com/2014/09/0 ... n-maxwell/

I wonder how much Seahawks are willing to pay him? Say he demands $5 million per year, would you keep him? I honestly don't want to see him go. I think he has a lot of potential.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Most teams will continue to avoid Sherm.
Guess that means they will throw at whoever is on the other side. If they throw. :)

Edit:
Did you listen to PC's presser on Friday following the game?
He was well pleased with how Maxi played.
You are almost asking the chicken/egg question.
Opposing teams can choose, 6 months in the hospital or instant death, either way, their time in the trenches vs the Seahawks won't be enjoyable.
Yes I'm a homer. :{)

Mick063

Reaction score
Aaron "God QB" Rogers threw at him 13 times and he gave up 85 yards, broke up a long ball in the end zone, and got a pick. Nice days work if you ask me. About what I would expect of Sherman if Rogers threw at him 13 times.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Will Maxwell be targeted? Hell yes, unless you feel going Burley's way is better..... with all those linebackers still hanging about?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21832sh3 said:
Will Maxwell be targeted? Hell yes, unless you feel going Burley's way is better..... with all those linebackers still hanging about?

Id like to see 31 play behind Maxwell, and let them know, that they will get a beating with every pass they catch.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3awv4x3m said:
MizzouHawkGal":3awv4x3m said:

Id like to see 31 play behind Maxwell, and let them know, that they will get a beating with every pass they catch.
Hi Ken.:)

It can't be perfect but it seems the Seahawks may disagree. ..

ringless

Reaction score
What if a team put their #3 and #4 receivers out there rotating them every two plays against Sherman And had him streak every play to wear him down? The guy would have to get fatigued and make some mistakes being human right

Perfundle

Reaction score
ringless":2dboge23 said:
What if a team put their #3 and #4 receivers out there rotating them every two plays against Sherman And had him streak every play to wear him down? The guy would have to get fatigued and make some mistakes being human right
That would only work if:

1. They can get a sustained drive
2. They sustain the drive without running, since Sherman is not going to keep covering his man on a run play
3. Their QB can remain upright for the duration of each of the go routes, not an easy task when the defense sees that they're not running it and can pin their ears back.

Given Seattle's defense, these things are near impossible to pull off.

byau

Reaction score
Perfundle":1cevgy3m said:
ringless":1cevgy3m said:
That would only work if:

1. They can get a sustained drive
2. They sustain the drive without running, since Sherman is not going to keep covering his man on a run play
3. Their QB can remain upright for the duration of each of the go routes, not an easy task when the defense sees that they're not running it and can pin their ears back.

Given Seattle's defense, these things are near impossible to pull off.

That is an interesting idea. And if the drive is sustained, it could tire him out. Or it might tire him out over a season and also might make him more prone to injury. That's a really really interesting idea. It doesn't have to be a run play, it could be a severe bump within 5 yards every play also. The idea would be to beat up and tire Sherman out the entire game.

Reminds me of a UFC fight: Georges St. Pierre vs BJ Penn fight. St Pierre kept going for take downs or pushing Penn against the fence. The plan was St. Pierre didn't have to be successful in taking Penn down, but to wear out Penn's shoulders and over the course of a couple rounds it tired Penn out enough that he couldn't punch effectively and then St. Pierre then started striking and mixing it up in round 3 and took the fight

I'm guessing if it works, it'd only work for one game at most. Sherman seems smart enough to figure it out on the fly and adjust, whether by himself or with a collaborative effort with him, Quinn, and PC

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
I actually asked Maxwell when a bunch of the Seahawks were at a Dave N Busters in Virginia Beach if he was going to stay. He said "if the money is right". Not exactly what you want to hear as a fan ha.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Hawks D is not a defense where you can really pick or target one particular DB all game (as Rodgers found out).

We play a hybrid one high cover 3, which means lots of inside to outside zone help with Kam down low and Earl up top. So even if QB's want to pick on someone, there's going to be 2-3 other defenders in that zone to help out.

That's the beauty of our D. It's not complicated, just fast, relentless and precise with assignment coverage.

Lxx

Reaction score
Imagine if pete and company could develop maxwell into sherman levels of elite

chawx

Reaction score
ringless":1ky97bmr said:

Here's what I imagine Sherman would do if you tried to employ this time of strategy on him...

He would start jamming hard at the line every time (since you can't touch past 5 yards) and simply force the receiver out of bounds or back towards the middle of the field where the safeties can help. You could maybe make Sherm sprint 3-4 times down the sidelines doing that "trick" but it wouldn't be an issue, and in fact would probably do the same thing to you that the Packers had issues with and that's handicapping your whole team by avoiding that side.

If I were an OC going at Sherm, I'd just put my best out there and go at him (ie. the Pete Carroll approach). If you get beat, you get beat...that means your guys failed. If you win, all the better. I love Sherm, don't get me wrong, and he IS the best in the league at CB. But, with all the rules slanted towards offenses these days, I just don't see why you don't just go out there, play your plan, and do what you do, regardless of who is on the field.

Trying to out think your opponent will often times lead you to outthink yourself. JMHO

Edit: With all that said, I'm just glad we have the team that we have, where just going out there and trying your guys against our guys straight up rarely works because we (Seattle) are bigger, faster, stronger, and more disciplined that you.

chris98251

Reaction score
If I am a coach I target Sherm with guys that can get off fast and streak and come back to the ball routes, take advantage of him guessing and his lanky legs with someone that can stop and come back quickly, You get those then you start double move up fake the back with a hesitation and then go up and out to avoid Thomas.