Earl Thomas & Kam Chancellor on NFL.com Top-10 Safeties List

hawkstrap

Reaction score
Damn. That one year Milloy looked young again!

Cough! Fart! Remember Russell and Grant?!

Erebus

Reaction score
hawkstrap":34902cr0 said:
Damn. That one year Milloy looked young again!

Cough! Fart! Remember Russell and Grant?!

I was happy not remembering them. They make me appreciate Earl and Kam even more, if that's possible.

kearly

Reaction score
Never got the hype with Byrd.

Weddle, Berry, and McCourty are good players. They are probably more valuable to their teams than Kam would be. But I don't think any of them, except perhaps Berry, would be an upgrade in Seattle over Kam.

45Hawker

Reaction score
  1. On to the rankings:
  2. Earl Thomas
  3. Jairus Byrd
  4. Eric Weddle
  5. Eric Berry
  6. Devin McCourty
  7. Kam Chancellor
  8. Kenny Vaccaro
  9. Eric Reid
  10. T.J. Ward
  11. Troy Polamalu
Vaccaro didn't play well against the Falcons last week (6 missed tackles), but he's the real deal. He was a beast before his injury last year.

A bit surprised to see Eric Reid here. I watched him at LSU and he was a playmaking athlete, but not a "bone crusher". I haven't really seen him tilt the field in the NFL yet. He's good, but not sure about Top 10.

Lawyer Milloy: He was just what we needed at that time. Experienced, consistent, a warrior, and still a big hitter at 36. Most importantly, he tutored our two safeties you see in that list above. A blast from the past:

Safety net: Seahawks' rookie Earl Thomas is learning from veteran Lawyer Milloy

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Eric Reid crushed Dez Bryant's bones last week. Must knocked the piss out him, cuz Dez claimed dehydration after that hit.

But I agree his inclusion could be premature, his bad run gapping was the key to Lynch's long run in the NFCCG. But then again, I can't think of that many really good safeties in the NFL either.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Not being biased but there's still not one safety I'd take ahead of Kam (Earl aside) . Especially when you factor in his bargain contract.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":2585r3q1 said:

Weddle, Berry, and McCourty are good players. They are probably more valuable to their teams than Kam would be. But I don't think any of them, except perhaps Berry, would be an upgrade in Seattle over Kam.
Kam's impact is universal. He is the apex predator of the league and has reminded the NFL what fear does to skill players.

You couldn't trade me any safety in the league for Kam.

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3i9btpis said:
kearly":3i9btpis said:

Kam's impact is universal. He is the apex predator of the league and has reminded the NFL what fear does to skill players.

I feel the same. But Berry is like a bigger version of Earl, and is capable of playing SS at a very high level if need be. It would probably be the best safety tandem in NFL history. Definitely worth considering.

Berry was the guy Seattle wanted at #6... they had him graded well above Earl in the 2010 draft. I think Pete would cream his jeans if he could have both those guys on his defense. To consider Kam on even footing with Berry is a huge compliment IMO. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that if Seattle had drafted Berry instead of Earl, Berry would be the #1 safety on this list.

Microfiber

Reaction score
kearly":27yazzh8 said:
vin.couve12":27yazzh8 said:
kearly":27yazzh8 said:

I feel the same. But Berry is like a bigger version of Earl, and is capable of playing SS at a very high level if need be. It would probably be the best safety tandem in NFL history. Definitely worth considering.

Berry was the guy Seattle wanted at #6... they had him graded well above Earl in the 2010 draft. I think Pete would cream his jeans if he could have both those guys on his defense. To consider Kam on even footing with Berry is a huge compliment IMO. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that if Seattle had drafted Berry instead of Earl, Berry would be the #1 safety on this list.

Eric Berry is a SS, he never plays FS. I know the chiefs put him at SS to get more pressure on the qb and stop the run. He is able to blitz the passer very well.

I know this won't happen, but Eric Berry is a FA after this year, and the chiefs are probably using their tag on Justin Houston. I like Kam a lot, but Berry and ET would be orgasmic.

Escamillo

Reaction score

Tical21

Reaction score
With all respect due to Eric Berry and Joe Haden, I think we have the three best DB's in the game. I also love Eric Berry. I wanted him SOOOO BAD that year. But I think Kam is better. Kam just lays the lumber. I don't think anybody can intimidate like Kam. A couple of years ago, Kam was consistently a half-step late in coverage. Now he anticipates as well as anybody. Ohhh man that is a tough argument. They're both really really good. The Super Bowl was over when Kam ejected Demaryius Thomas back to his huddle. And the hits on Vernon Davis. Eric Berry is a great player, but he doesn't do what Kam does. Even if you give them Berry, those other guys aren't better than Kam, sorry.