ET Press conference - "fans are selfish"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I heard the whole thing and didn't think Earl sounded pissed. He always has a serious tone with the press.

He said exactly what I wanted to hear him say.

- not about me
- Pete's the boss
- hope I get another chance

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What is the context of that quote? What does he think fans are being selfish about?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":7u9o5thz said:
What is the context of that quote? What does he think fans are being selfish about?

It sounded tongue in cheek. He basically said that fans don't want to see him get hurt, so they don't want him to do more. He likened it to him not supporting a reporter getting a promotion because he's too good at what he already does. I wouldn't say he was "pissed". I can see how people interpret that from him because he's always putting out the serious vibe but I swear, watching the video of the presser today, he almost cracked a smile when he said it.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1mm1qt82 said:

Continuing to argue about who's better, Luck or Russell and to please stop linking every media person who criticizes the Hawks and their players.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1dosr6s4 said:

Earl wants to continue growing as a player. He feels part of that growth is becoming an elite return man. The notion of "selfishness" is that some fans might disregard what he wants and instead want to confine him to his current role because that is the "safest" decision for their team.

Example: you're really good at some administrative task at your job. However, you don't want to be limited to that one thing for your entire career just because you're elite at it. Someone else comes along and tells you you're too good at that one task to do anything else, so we won't let you expand. In a way, that's a selfish sentiment since it ignores that individual's desire for growth.

Anyway, it just something he tossed out at a press conference. I think Pete made the right decision, but I understand that Earl (as a competitor) wants to do more and more in this league.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
He sure looked pissed off, he looked like he was about to explode. He's such fiery competitor, It seemed obvious he wasn't happy about the decision.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
My personal reservations about ET returning punts had almost nothing to do with the risk of injury. I just don't think he looked real natural at it. And I think it was taking away from some of his preparation on the defensive side. I still want to see Baldwin given an opportunity because he possesses great hands, quick decision making, agility in a tight window, and tackle breaking ability. Oh yeah, and he's angry as hell.

hawk45

Reaction score
He'd have a lot more people supporting his growth if he didn't look completely lost out there and give up a fumble leading directly to a score early in the game. That, on top of the risk/reward, sealed the fate of the experiment.

It's one thing to support the promotion of someone in a job where there can be some ramp-up time. It's quite another to wave the fan flag when the new position is one where you're being headhunted and can also win or lose a game based on a bad play.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He's absolutely right about fans being selfish. All of you that didn't want him returning punts because of injury risk should feel ashamed. Let the man try to pursue anything he wants to try to do.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1lg3qc1j said:
He's absolutely right about fans being selfish. All of you that didn't want him returning punts because of injury risk should feel ashamed. Let the man try to pursue anything he wants to try to do.

He was joking.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1y7dx9ft said:

Why should anyone feel ashamed, he is the best safety in the game if he gets hurt returning punts that would be devastating to this team.

Subzero717

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":4m37xahi said:
RolandDeschain":4m37xahi said:

Why should anyone feel ashamed, he is the best safety in the game if he gets hurt returning puts that would be devastating to this team.

And he wasnt that great at returning punts so the risk reward made this an easy call.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":18m7vxqa said:
TorontoHawk":18m7vxqa said:
RolandDeschain":18m7vxqa said:

Why should anyone feel ashamed, he is the best safety in the game if he gets hurt returning puts that would be devastating to this team.

And he wasnt that great at returning punts so the risk reward made this an easy call.

Seemed like he refused to acknowledge that there is such a thing as a fair catch. :mrgreen:

nategreat

Reaction score
I kinda feel bad for him to tell you the truth. It's something he REALLY wants to do, let him do it. Yeah, he needs to learn to fair catch. But it's obvious he just felt like he needed to come out and prove himself right away, or else the opportunity would be taken from him. So he took every opportunity to run the ball back. Give him a few more returns, and he'll be smarter about his decision to fair catch the ball. He won't feel the need to "prove" himself, just in order to keep the job. We all know he's got the ability to take it to the house on any play.

Fans WERE being selfish. He's the one who is putting his body @ risk, yet we're the ones talking about his body like it should be in our control. But only because we needed him to be able to play @ his elite free safety level. We're so concerned about him getting hurt, but he can get hurt on any play- punt return or safety. It's selfish to be only concerned about the risk of injury, that we forget about his own happiness. It's football, people get hurt all the time. Let him enjoy his job.

Hypothetically speaking, what if it bothered him so much that he didn't want to play for the Seahawks anymore- and instead he wanted to go play somewhere else where he could be the punt returner, because it makes him happy? Would you let him return the ball then? The obvious answer is yes, and if it is, then you're definitely being selfish.

At some point, you have to let the players have fun and enjoy themselves- and that is the cornerstone of the Seahawks, and I think what makes them so good. It's not your body, it's not your life, it's not your decision.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
Am I wrong, or would it not have mattered if he called for a fair catch on the second punt? The call was that Sherman blocked his guy into Earl, thereby negating his right to catch it.

hawker84

Reaction score
Call me selfish all you want, i wanted him off the return team because i think he was a liability back there. Maybe he would have gotten better at making decisions, who knows. I don't care put Walters or Baldwin back there who has experience. ET's a great athelete no doubt, but it takes more than that to return punts, you have to be able to feel the players around you, sense them, i don't think he posesses that skill.