Who, on the roster do you let go to keep another?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
It's a simple game. You really want someone on the roster but to keep him you gotta give up someone else.

You want to re-sign somebody but have to release another contributer in order to sign him.

Here's mine for an example:

I'll re-sign Bobby Wagner, and give up Cliff Avril. Why? I'd rather have the most tackles than pass rushes. QB's can evade the pass rush, but you cannot evade tackles.

Make sense?

Here's another: I'll take Justin Britt and give up Robert Turbin. He showed promise in the Packers game, he can be the next great OT in my opinion. Reason I'll give up Turbin, well, he's a great blocker, but I prefer Christine Michael's speed. Since we have Derrick Coleman I can afford to give up Turbin's blocking for Michael's speed and Coleman's blocking.

Submit yours. Doesn't have to be restricted to offense vs defense. You can keep an offensive player and give up a defensive player if you wish, but the one requirement for this is you have to back up your reasoning, yes it's a game, but provide a brief reasoning(statistics would be great, or even just a small analysis) why you choose one or another.

oasis

Reaction score
Barthawk":1obit4ea said:
I would sacrifice Burely in order to keep Avril and send Josh Thomas packing in order to keep KJ Wright.
Also, ? I hope there's sarcasm here.

You can't replace micro-contracts with mega-contracts. You're talking about thousand-dollar contracts vs. multi-million monster contracts.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
With a lot of able DE's coming out this year, I think Avril is done after this season.
We draft a DE to replace him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not sure why you'd let go Avril for Wagner. Doesn't make any sense. Avril and Wagner don't play the same position. Basically this offseason, the Seahawks let go Clemons for Avril. They also let go of Red Bryant for Michael Bennett. Those are guys that play the same positions. Now if they re-up Wagner and let KJ Wright go, that would be more of an apples to apples comparison. Heck even Malcolm Smith or Bruce Irvin would be better comparisons.

Would you let Lynch go to keep Russell Wilson? How about Percy Harvin to keep Lynch? My point is you don't have to.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ltps90w said:
Not sure why you'd let go Avril for Wagner. Doesn't make any sense. Avril and Wagner don't play the same position. Basically this offseason, the Seahawks let go Clemons for Avril. They also let go of Red Bryant for Michael Bennett. Those are guys that play the same positions. Now if they re-up Wagner and let KJ Wright go, that would be more of an apples to apples comparison. Heck even Malcolm Smith or Bruce Irvin would be better comparisons.

Would you let Lynch go to keep Russell Wilson? How about Percy Harvin to keep Lynch? My point is you don't have to.

I like OP's first example better than the second from a contract perspective.

Avril is a free agent after this season and you can negotiate with Wagner at the same time with one year left on his rookie deal. You could be negotiating them at the same time. The front office likes to give a signing bonus with minimal base in the first year. You're correct in that KJ will affect Wagner's contract more so than Avril's will.

The Turbin example isn't the best. He's under contract for this season and next and Britt for this and three after that. Their contracts don't have the same bargaining timeline and Turbin isn't in a position to hold out. You're also talking a right tackle when the money is at LT and a backup running back when the contracts for RB in general are way more affordable.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vtsi82x said:

You need to look at it like you can't afford to keep the contracts of both. Obviously Avril would be replaced with a cheaper option either through the draft or FA. This is a likely scenario with free agency.

Seafan

Reaction score
I'll let JS make those decisions. But if I were in his position I'd hang on to the pass rush. In this defense the LBs are more easily replaced than the linemen and secondary.

The Hawks have some interesting decisions to make with regards to the left side of the OL.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Keep Maxwell, let go of Gresham.

A bigtime #2 cb to play opposite Sherm is more important than a consistent long snapper.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sadly I don't think this is the game we're going to get the benefit of playing. To me, it is more like:

Lynch, Wright, Wagner, Avril, Mebane, Okung, Maxwell, Irvin. Pick one or two, and the rest have to go.

Mick063

Reaction score
To me, Wagner is a must keep.

I would be willing to replace Irvin, Wright, Smith, Maxwell, or Okung with rookies before I would let go of Wagner.

How does it all play out?

If Seattle drafts the best players available and those drafted players show well in camp, than those are the positions that will be excessed. In other words, the unknown variables have not had an impact yet.

Threedee

Reaction score
Tical21":3pxehwy0 said:
Sadly I don't think this is the game we're going to get the benefit of playing. To me, it is more like:

Lynch, Wright, Wagner, Avril, Mebane, Okung, Maxwell, Irvin. Pick one or two, and the rest have to go.

Keep Wagner, and I would vote to keep Okung. We have been planning to replace Lynch with Michael. We have back-ups for Wright, Maxwell, and Irvin (really, we've been planning to lose Maxwell to FA). Avril and Mebane are tough to lose, but I consider an elite OT to be worth more than them. Hopefully we will draft a solid DT or DE in the next draft. Frankly, I think we should give Coyle a shot at OLB next year rather than have him backing up Wagner.

I know most people would rather give up Okung than most of the players listed.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tical21":1z4inkgs said:

Hahaha, no. Maybe over a 4 year span, yeah. Into next season, there's three players on that list that still have another season on their super cheap contracts. And none are really in a position to hold out.

Mebane and lynch are on the chopping block, however, both have a chance at another season. We'll have to see.

I do believe it won't be both Avril and wright, but at least one will remain.

This is okungs make or break contract year even though he has another left. He has to play injury free all season, and he has to play at a high level. If he misses half the season again, or drops off significantly, he's gone.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I'll keep Avril give up Ryan because we won't need to punt anymore.
Then give up Bevell for PC and give up TJack for RW.
Is this how it goes?

Vetamur

Reaction score
That comma in the title is going to drive Roland mad....

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":3xp5n6km said:
That comma in the title is going to drive Roland mad....

Or lack of a second comma after "roster."