Miss me some Red, Clemons, McDonald

seabowl

Reaction score
Have to admit I miss these guys and the stoutness and toughness they brought. Avril and Bennett get pressure but Clemons was a nice complement to them that we just don't have now. Red adds a big body that made it tough to run on the outside and McDonald got up the field pressure that I just don't see from Hill. It is what it is but I do miss these guys.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Jacksonville gave up 41 points to the woeful redskins. Where is the effect their leadership and toughness are having on that team?

oasis

Reaction score
pocketprotector":2gz0hvhf said:
Jacksonville gave up 41 points to the woeful redskins. Where is the effect their leadership and toughness are having on that team?
Weren't they starting Winston Guy at safety?

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
pocketprotector":dogbfb7c said:

Great example given the difference between the Hawks and Jags.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Eh this is reaching.

You do know SD is a good team who plays to the level of their opponents right? They did beat Denver at Denver lat year.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you get the ball out in like two seconds to guys underneath like they were doing nobody is going to get to a QB, he has a good quick release.

hoxrox

Reaction score
There was no interior pressure all day

razgriz737

Reaction score
chris98251":3f2s1me4 said:
When you get the ball out in like two seconds to guys underneath like they were doing nobody is going to get to a QB, he has a good quick release.
This. We were actually getting decent pressure but Rivers was getting rid of the ball REALLY quick.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Would you still like Red, Clemons and McDonald in lieu of the players we were going to have to cut or not resign? No way we bring back Bennett if we kept them and he is our best lineman and probably wouldn't have been able to resign Thomas or Sherman. I love those guys and will root for them with there new teams. I hope you realize McDonald was a waver guy last year (almost out of the league, and might have been if we hadn't signed him). He was great for us but no way we could have paid him what he is getting, and example would be Schofield who was signed by the Giants @ 3 Million but we are now paying the minimum.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
peppersjap":djrudl8l said:
Would you still like Red, Clemons and McDonald in lieu of the players we were going to have to cut or not resign? No way we bring back Bennett if we kept them and he is our best lineman and probably wouldn't have been able to resign Thomas or Sherman. I love those guys and will root for them with there new teams. I hope you realize McDonald was a waver guy last year (almost out of the league, and might have been if we hadn't signed him). He was great for us but no way we could have paid him what he is getting, and example would be Schofield who was signed by the Giants @ 3 Million but we are now paying the minimum.

The meaning of the original message was one of missing the things they brought to the team. Outside of actual play, the ad this week seemed to miss some leadership. Both Red and Clemons brought that to this team and were vocal and important participants to this D. As far as McDonald is concerned, yes he almost was not on this team last year but he played a vital role in getting inside pressure on the QB.

I'm not saying we should have re-signed these guys at what they were asking. Only wish that we had them like last year to complete this D.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
razgriz737":2d5tabn0 said:
chris98251":2d5tabn0 said:
This. We were actually getting decent pressure but Rivers was getting rid of the ball REALLY quick.

There were so many times they were inches from grabbing him and taking him down. The guy stepped up and didn't panic.

A really good quarterback can be neutralized by a ridiculous pass rush like we saw with Brady in the two Giants Super Bowls and the Seahawks Super Bowl. But sometimes these dudes are just going to beat your guys when they're playing well with quick throws and moving around.

I thought the amount of blitzing was more of a problem on the line than anything. The blitzes didn't seem to be much more effective on the whole than just sending lineman, and then you have big holes where the linebackers should have been.

Even with all of this, the offense still had a chance to go down the field and win the game at the end.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i miss all 3

reds toughness vs the run, but mainly vocal leadership.

clems constant upfield pressure

mcdonalds unsung clutch playmaking in both run/pass

nobody has stepped up to replace any of the 3... yet. our interior isnt as deep/strong this year, its very evident. schofield looks like clem, just needs to be more consistent tho at pressuring