Bevell is at it again... bad plays against a weak Defense

Tokadub

Reaction score
Now I know the majority of you are going to blame the defense for this loss. And while you certainly aren't wrong, I would argue we could have still easily won with proper offensive play calling.

I have 3 drives in particular where I think Bevell failed hardcore in this game:

Our 1st drive of the game it's 2nd and 5 and we go to Turbin and lose 3 yards. Lynch had already ran for 5 yards on his only carry up until that point. Why in the world would you go to Turbin on the 2nd run of the game? Lynch is a PROVEN monster he makes Turbin look pathetic in comparison. So why would we go to Turbin on 2nd and 5 on our first drive of the game? The result we lose 3 yards with Turbin, it's now 3rd and 8 allowing the Charger's to blitz... they sack Wilson for a loss of 13 yards.

Our 3rd drive of the game it's 1st and 10 and we go for a short pass to the left for BRYAN WALTERS for no gain... why did we go to Walters on 1st and 10 throwing to him in the backfield??? We would have been MUCH better off going to Harvin, Baldwin, Lynch, Turbin, Coleman... Pretty much that play would of been better if we threw it to ANYBODY OTHER THAN WALTERS... So now it's 2nd and 10 Wilson gets sacked for a loss of 9 yards. We then FINALLY let Beast Mode run the ball... but his 5 yard run is pretty worthless when it's 3rd and 19. Why not give Wilson a chance to slice up the the Chargers defense? CARSON PALMER PUT UP 308 PASSING YARDS AGAINST THE CHARGERS IN WEEK 1... YET WE DON'T LET WILSON TAKE A SHOT ON 3rd AND 19???

Our 8th drive of the game it's 1st and 10 and we yet again neglect Lynch when he obviously should of had at least 1 touch here (he had just ran for 7 yards earning us this 1st down)... instead we run two passing plays both resulting in incompletions. So now we are 3rd and 10 with Lynch having no runs on 1st and 2nd down, Sweezy has a false start forcing us into a very ugly 3rd and 15. Here's where we lost the game in my opinion, Wilson runs for 13 yards giving us a very realistic 4th down with just 2 YARDS TO GO! WE ARE NOW IN THE 4th QUARTER WITH 8 MINUTES TO GO BUT LYNCH HAS ONLY 6 CARRIES (6 Yards Per Carry)... Wilson is also averaging 9 yards in his two rushes. THE CHARGERS HAD 24 FIRST DOWNS AT THIS POINT... MEANWHILE OUR OFFENSE WAS ON PACE FOR ABOUT 500 YARDS IF WE HAD 30 MINUTES OF POSSESSION TIME... Every single obvious indication in this game would tell you that our offense was on fire and our Defense was atrocious. Our offense has the ball on 4th and 2 when we are averaging 7.2 yards per play and Marshawn Lynch is fresh with only 6 carries... YET WE PUNT THE BALL AWAY...

You are simply not going to have a better opportunity than 4th and 2 when your offense has been on fire all day. Why in the world would we not let Lynch, Harvin, or even Wilson run the ball there? Instead we punt the ball and end up getting the ball back with 3 minutes left (it was kinda unlikely we would even get the ball back with 3 min left without them scoring though), and now we have 89 yards to go with 3:04 remaining.

We lose the game with an incomplete pass in a 4th and 11 situation with 89 yards to go...

We could have very easily won the game on the previous drive if we had gone for it on 4th and 2 with 64 yards to go...

Conclusion:

In the 1st half we had 2 punts, both these punts were due to bad play calling.

We went to Turbin instead of Lynch who turned a 2nd and 5 into a 3rd and 8 leading to Wilson being sacked in an obvious passing situation.

We then went to Walters on a 1st and 10 once again giving their defense momentum leading to a sack on 2nd and 10.

Out of that sample of 6 plays resulting in 2 punts we had 4 horrible play calls. WE DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE ANY RECEIVERS READY TO BAIL OUT WILSON TO AVOID HIS SACKS!

1) Harvin 5 yards short pass GOOD
2) Turbin -3 yards run up middle BAD WHY ISN'T LYNCH RUNNING ON THE 2nd CARRY OF THE GAME?
3) Sack -13 yards BAD WE GAVE THEM MOMENTUM FROM BAD PLAY CALL TO TURBIN
4) Punt BAD

1) Walters no gain short pass BAD WHY DID WE GO TO WALTERS IN THIS SITUATION WHEN WE HAVE SO MANY OTHER PROVEN GUYS WHO COULD EXECUTE THIS PLAY BETTER THAN WALTERS?
2) Sack -9 yards BAD THEY FELT OVERCONFIDENT SINCE WE RAN SUCH A BONEHEADED PLAY WITH WALTERS AND SO THEY BLITZED... THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF WE GAINED A FEW YARDS FROM LYNCH ON 1st DOWN
3) Lynch 5 yard run BAD WHY DID WE RUN HIM ON 3rd AND 19?
4) Punt BAD

And then not going for it on 4th and 2 when Wilson had a 120+ passer rating, we were averaging 8.3 yards per rush, 7.2 yards per play, on pace for about 500 yards if time of possession was even... a situation where our DEFENSE HAD GIVEN UP 24 FIRST DOWNS UP TO THAT POINT and the Time of Possession was 36 minutes to 16 minutes in their favor??? BAD

We were over confident with our play calls very early going to guys like Turbin and Walters who failed on drives that could of won the game. There's no reason we couldn't have put up 28 points in the 1st half with proper play calling, Wilson ended the 1st half 8/9 with a 155 passer rating, Lynch only ran the ball 3 times.

We didn't slow down the clock at all because we underutilized Lynch. This combined with some bad play calling caused our Defense to stay on the field for WAY too long.

And we still had a chance to win the game even though our Defense was awful, but instead of going for it on 4th and 2 when our Offense was on pace for 500 yards (given 30 minutes possession) we punt it away and never get another incredibly good opportunity to take the lead.

Lynch should be pissed with just 6 carries...

Harvin should be pissed with just 1 pass target compared to last week he went 7/7.

Our entire offense should be pissed they weren't given a chance to go for it on 4th and 2 on a day our Defense looked pathetic. I blame Bevell for his poor offensive play calling today, he miserably failed to appropriately utilize our 2 best offensive weapons Harvin and Lynch.

redeye81

Reaction score
4th and 2 punt KILLED US in this game... I was screaming why the FFFFF do you not go for it??? We could' t stop them and we were driving.. wow at least others were seeing this as I was...

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Bevell was fine. An inability to get off the field on third down was why this team lost. The punt is Pete's call, and by itself wasn't a bad decision. They did get the stop and the ball with enough time to score. They just didn't. Hats off to the Chargers.

redeye81

Reaction score
If Russell made that fist down we score on that drive.. That is frustrating.. he was a 1 and 1/2 short...

nanomoz

Reaction score
You think the decision to punt it on 4th and 14 was a bad decision? :lol:

redeye81

Reaction score
Not sure Bevell make the call to go for it on 4th down. does he?

redeye81

Reaction score
What is says is the staff believes in the Defense more than us fans do.. I think that is fair.. We saw them getting beat play after play... We don't see everything the coaches see.. In the end we did stop them but went from 4th and 1 on on th 40 to getting the ball back with much less time in our own side of the field.

Did we have better chance going for it on 4th (given the way the defense was playing??).. No one knows but a lot of casual observers say yes.. but in the end we'll never know..

Sucks but we had no chance after that decision..

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I can't fathom the decisions to starve the Beast instead of feeding him, and barely trying to use Percy.

Talk about two players that should be utilized a lot...SMH.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Yeah! How dare Seattle not score 35 points!

2 punts. That's how many the D forced. 2. Get one more and remove the Harvin kickoff fumble and the offense has more to work with. Likely seven more points as they scored TDs on 3 of their 7 drives.

bandiger

Reaction score
That 4th and two was when I knew they lost that game, rely on that offense to do its job. The gimmicky stuff with Lockette and then Walters got on my nerves. Anyways we lost due to the turnover and lousy third down defense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":378uj2xa said:
I can't fathom the decisions to starve the Beast instead of feeding him, and barely trying to use Percy.

This, X1000. Not getting off the field on 3rd down plus these 2 factors cost the Hawks the game IMO.

redeye81

Reaction score
i rather lose by running Beastmode on 4th and 2 than punting.. end of story for me.. sorry.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2z91561n said:

2 punts. That's how many the D forced. 2. Get one more and remove the Harvin kickoff fumble and the offense has more to work with. Likely seven more points as they scored TDs on 3 of their 7 drives.
There are a number of teams that score a lot while their defense sucks. (Cowboys and Bears last year?) Yeah, our defense let us down. That's why I don't like our lack of ferocity on offense in games. We don't play offense to win games, we play offense to not lose, in simplistic/general terms. We play offense like our defense will NEVER surrender more than 14 points to anyone, ever.

Sarlacc, please justify the lack of attempting to utilize Lynch & Harvin today. Serious request.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1rqm75fu said:

Yep, agreed, but then again I'm not a Bevell fan so that shouldn't be too shocking. I thought his playcalling was poor today. This was just one ugly assed game all around.

redeye81

Reaction score
Use your weapons and get the 1st down don't punt it away.. Scared play that don't sit well..

pocketprotector

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2f29eptq said:
Sarlacc83":2f29eptq said:

There are a number of teams that score a lot while their defense sucks. (Cowboys and Bears last year?) Yeah, our defense let us down. That's why I don't like our lack of ferocity on offense in games. We don't play offense to win games, we play offense to not lose, in simplistic/general terms. We play offense like our defense will NEVER surrender more than 14 points to anyone, ever.

Sarlacc, please justify the lack of attempting to utilize Lynch & Harvin today. Serious request.

The cowboys and bears averaged less points per drive last year than we did today.